Plan B: If LMA bolts

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Fez Hammersticks, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

If LMA leaves and Lillard sees a complete rebuild... doesn't he leave? I know he's loyal, but....

2. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

If he wants to leave too, then fuck him. I don't want him if he doesn't want us.

magnifier661 likes this.
  3. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

Depends on how long a rebuild is. If it's a couple seasons at most I'm sure he stays.

4. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    And remember we can match any offer and keep him for another 5 years. We got Lillard for at least another 5 years.

Anyway, you would think Lillard would take the challenge of carrying his team. He's timidly taken the back seat for Aldridge. I think he would thrive being the true "Alpha Male" on the team.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  5. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

I think Lillard would be a better player statistically (I think he'd also become a better point guard) without LA but man our team would look really weird without the big guy roaming the left side of the floor.

BlazerCaravan and magnifier661 like this.
  6. JFizzleRaider

JFizzleRaider Sad Panda Global Moderator

Huh? Lillard could sign a qualifying offer and become unrestricted. We have him for at least two more years, not necessarily five

7. magnifier661

Yes but that is rare because that QO will lose the Bird Rights for any new team. It doesn't happen frequently

8. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Well he'll hit the market and hes heavily rumored as Detroit's top target. As far as I know the most they can offer him is a true max, which would be 25% of the cap. That salary would start somewhere in the 15-16 mil range, but it would shoot up dramatically once the new TV deal kicks in.

Klay Thompson did not get a "true max" contract last year because his salary isn't actually 25% of the salary cap. They gave him a starting salary of 25% of the first year's projected cap and then standard raises each year. I think this is where Draymond will land. Part of the logic in maxing Klay last year was that although he was getting max money despite never having made an all-star team, once the cap goes up it'll probably be a pretty fair looking deal. He is also young and improving, and he made the team look good by having a great season. Parsons and Hayward got similar contracts. I think Draymond is on those guys' levels. Hes not a #1 guy, but he's a good core piece.

GSW owner Joe Lacob has already come out in the media and said that Draymond Green isn't going anywhere. He could eat the luxury tax for one season but would avoid the repeater penalty because 2016 brings a massive cap increase coupled with the expiring of Lee, Livingston, and a couple smaller contracts. Or the team could package Lee with multiple future first rounds picks to dump his salary, Draymond's new deal would start at roughly the same salary as DLee's and they would be near the lux tax, but could probably get under it (or pay just a little bit, relatively speaking). The Warriors can't afford to lose him and although he's always been knocked for having a low ceiling, he's 25 years old and improves every year. He's the 3rd best player on the team (some GSW fans argue he's #2) and probably the best leader on the team. The W's have no way to replace him and he's an excellent fit. They just can't afford to lose him and they'll keep him, even if it means trading assets to dump Lee, Iguodala, Speights, Livingston, etc.

Buuuut if the Pistons or some other team give him a true max contract, then that's a legitimate quandary. That's a lot of money for a guy who can't carry an elite team.

9. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

This is gonna be an unpopular question, but do you guys think LA is basically a power forward version of Carmelo Anthony?

Makaveli likes this.
  10. Makaveli

Makaveli New Member

Absolutely. I love LMA but he's not THAT good we just don't want loose him because obviously we take a step back because it's not like the guy is a scrub. But LMA is not a true alpha male leader that can lead you to the promise land.

LMA can be a perfect Robin for somebody like Pau was on the Lakers

11. magnifier661

If you take away completely being an asshole and primodonna, then that's very possible. I don't think anyone, even the biggest Aldridge homers, thought Aldridge was the Alpha Male type

12. SheedSoNasty

SheedSoNasty Well-Known Member

If LA leaves, move the team to Seattle.

13. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Isn't Carmelo Anthony the PF version of Carmelo Anthony? At least, they're better when they play him there.

Funny thing: I was sort of wondering what we'd be like if we did a S & T for Anthony. He would be pissed, but tough shit. Anthony can anchor a good team - after Linsanity he was particularly motivated to show he wasn't the problem, and the Knicks had a good run, but isn't he damaged goods now?
    Anyway, if we did that, he would be our PF. I like him as a speedy PF better than as a pound-it-in SF.

14. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Melo is a way better shooter and LA is a way better defender and rebounder

15. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Seriously, though: where would LA go? Who's got the cap room? Actual question here.

16. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Actually I would challenge that Melo is a better shooter AND that Aldridge is a better rebounder.

17. magnifier661

I think the comparison has more to do with being an amazing talent that can't successfully lead their team in the playoffs

18. magnifier661

SAS, Lakers, NY, and Dallas

19. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

This is what I'm getting at. He is a very talented guy who plays like a Batman but really is a Robin. I don't wanna let him go still but we can't have out offense be all LA anymore.

20. magnifier661

That's why it was so important for Dame to play batman. We lost this series because Dame didn't show up for game 1 and 2. We dug ourselves too big of a hole.