Playoff Predictions

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by RangersFan, Apr 10, 2017.

1. RangersFan

RangersFan Well-Known Member

Man Karlsson is taking over the Bruins/Sens series. What a stud.

These two Atlantic series are almost identical the way they are playing out. Funny.

2. Disturbed

Disturbed Well-Known Member

Software
    Brass with another big goal. Some guys are just good playoff guys even if they aren't great regular season players (Justin Williams)

3. RangersFan

BUT...unlike our dog effort, the Bruins play with heart and have come back from 3-0 down to tie the game at 3. Win or lose give them credit for fighting back and showing emotion.

I still think the winner of that series gets rolled by us or the Habs.

4. RangersFan

Boston down 3-0...comes back to tie it 3-3.
    Leafs down 2-0 and 3-1...comes back to tie it 3-3.

Both may lose still, but great efforts to come back and keep fighting.

5. cagedlion

cagedlion "I am the problem, and I am the solution."

Watching tonight's games, teams showing intensity and drive.......something my Rangers are not
    able to do at home. I'm looking at Toronto and they look electric.

6. Greyvtrayn

Greyvtrayn Well-Known Member

Great examples of playoff hockey...very spoiled with all of these OT games!

7. Greyvtrayn

WOWOWOWOW! What a goal by the Leafs!!!

8. Messiah717

Messiah717 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Washington in trouble against Toronto. Can you imagine if they go out in round one again?

9. cagedlion

Canadian teams sharpening their claws this post season. Toronto shocking Caps again in OT, up 2-1.
    Sens up 2-1 over Bruins. Mtl solid 2-1 over Rangers.

10. Greyvtrayn

Not to mention Edmonton up 2-1 over the Sharks....all of these series are far from over though.

11. Messiah717

Chicago still doesn't have a goal in this year's playoffs after seven periods.

12. RangersFan

How crazy is it that the Caps are down 2-1, and both the Hawks and Wild are down 3-0. That is nutty.

The West is wide open now that it appears the two teams with the most points, the Hawks and Wild, are done. The Preds, Blues and Oilers could be in the final 4 out West.

In the East you still have to figure the Caps will win that series, but now it is real with the Leafs leading 2-1, especially after coming back last night in a game that started with many saying yeah there's the Caps we expected in this series. It is setting up really well for the Pens to do their thing again.

If the Caps lose in round 1 or round 2 that team will be torn down. They have a slew of FA's anyway so it won't be a huge challenge to do it, but that team will look very different next season if they get knocked out early again.

NHL playoffs...crazy stuff. And the Rangers face a must win at home tonight. Can they make it a series after 4 games, or will it be essentially over after 4 as Montreal heads back home.

13. cagedlion

Boston Bruin fans must really be up in arms with the calls in the Sens-Bruins game 5. OT goal was denied
    by refs that the goal was preceded by goalie interference. Sens D man pushed the goal scorer into the goalie.
    This same incident had occurred in the BJs-Pens game denying a goal for the BJs.
    The written rule in both cases would have permitted both goals. So why are the refs overruling this rule?
    Does not make any sense.

14. RangersFan

Bruins win. I say again, I see NOTHING in that series that makes me think the winner of our series doesn't make the ECF.

The Bruins are missing about 5 players, and still the Sens are struggling against them. And the Sens have 5 or 6 good forwards, 2 solid dmen, and then Karlsson who plays half the game and is a total stud. Anderson is solid in goal, but nothing spectacular. And the fans in their building are so quiet as well.

Nothing is a given in the NHL playoffs, but I really think our series has been played on a different level than the Boston/Ottawa series. I am happy Boston won tonight, now I want Ottawa to finish it off, and then play the winner of our series.

Right now I would say NYR/Montreal in 5 or 6 over Boston or Ottawa. The only wildcard Boston has is if they get 100% healthy and all their dmen are ready in round 2 they will be tougher, but even then they have about 4 or 5 solid forwards, and a couple of solid dmen, and Rask is good but not great anymore.

I truly don't think either team in our series fears the winner of that series.

15. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

I'd definately rather see Boston i think, especially if they aren't at full strength. If it's Ottawa it definately goes at least 6. That could be a somewhat demoralizing loss for them up 2 at home to close it out but losing in OT. They have played well in Boston however.

16. RangersFan

I rather play Ottawa because the health factor. If this were the Bruins missing dmen and Krejci give me Boston. But the "risk" of them getting healthier makes me lean Ottawa. Either way I think us or Montreal would get it done.

There are no guarantees in the NHL playoffs, so yeah the winner of our series could lose in round 2 of course, but I personally would be surprised looking at the rosters and watching a lot of the Boston/Ottawa series.

The other thing against Boston, if we get there, is we may never win a face off. They would dominate us in that aspect of the game I think. Plus they had the # 1 PK this season, so our terrible PP would struggle as well.

I prefer Ottawa if we get there. The only thing that scares me about Ottawa is Karlsson, who is a monster and will play 30 mpg. Outside of him, the 6 or 7 solid forwards are good, but they don't have great depth upfront. And their 3rd D pair is a liability as well. With our depth we'd exploit that I believe (Montreal as well).

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  17. RangersFan

With the Blues/Wild game going to OT that is five straight games that will be decided in OT.

NYR/Habs
    Sharks/Oilers
    Leafs/Caps
    Bruins/Sens
    Blues/Wild

I hope the streak doesn't go to 6, I cannot take OT tonight.

The NHL playoffs are awesome.

18. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

Man, i hope the Blues pull this out or they will have some real issues.

19. RangersFan

This Leafs/Caps series amazes me. Not only are the Leafs right there again in game 6, tied 1-1 late, they are outplaying or worst case playing toe to toe with the Caps. This isn't one of those being outplayed but getting breaks kind of series, not at all, the Leafs deserve all they are getting right now.

If they win this game who the F would have thought the only game 7 would be Leafs/Caps, and the Hawks would get swept. The Hawks and Caps were by far the favorites to make the SCF from the West and East. Crazy.

I hope the Leafs win. I'd love to see the Caps under that type of pressure against a totally loose team in game 7. I would favor the Caps, but the Leafs could win if the Caps are too tight. Not sure if this is the Leafs being so good and having a great coach, or the Caps being the Caps in the playoffs, which means totally uncomfortable and tight.

Speaking of the Caps, not sure why they play Oshie/Backstrom/OV on one line. Oshie and OV are both R shots. And you could say those are their 3 best forwards on one line. Seems odd to me. Play OV on a different line to have some balance. Outside of those 3 guys and Williams I don't trust any other Cap forwards. Don't want to hear about their depth or Kuznetsov (that dude never shows up in big games). Those 3 should be split up. Strange coaching decision.

20. Messiah717

The record was already set for first round overtime games. Tonight just added to that. If the Leafs pull it out I wouldn't be shocked to see game seven go to OT as well.