Playoff Run in the West

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by jason bourne, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

The Clippers are 37-37 right now and here is their remaining schedule with my conservative predictions...

DEN L (Denver needs to win because they are back to 2 games above .500)
    @DAL L
    @NO W (Hornets should be done after losing 3 starters)
    @LAL L (Hopefully LA can finish their business they were supposed to)
    POR W
    SAC W
    @PHX L (Lets hope PHX is still shooting for the #1-2 seed)
    NO W (come on spoiler!)

That puts them at 41-41 at worse case scenario that I can see possible. In fact, I can see them winning against the conference teams like LA and DEN.

2. Warriorfansnc93

Nuggets
    (38-36)
    DAL-L
    @LAC-L
    LAL-L
    @UTA-L
    @NOK-W
    @MEM*-W
    MIN-W
    @SAS-L

At worst case scenario I can only see DEN going 41-41 also and that is IF they lose to the Clippers and LA who they have beaten recently and that is at home. The only legit losses I can see are against Dallas and @ San Antonio. The season is lost at this point unless we go undefeated and the other teams lose games they should win...

3. Wild Child

Wild Child JBB JustBBall Member

[​IMG] Warriors go undefeated for the rest of the season! FTW! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">custodianrules2 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">"Wait till next season" is what we say every year for the last god knows how many seasons. The Warriors, to me, always find some way to be the statistical anomaly that says we will never improve to the point where we can make some sort of cycle of winning for at least four years and then going back to being a lotto team. The Warriors always find some way to play like crap during the middle of the season and then finishing the season strong but falling short. I guess we should be grateful that we're seeing some improvement, although the window of opportunity to get even better might be still very small. The window of opportunity to get better rests in good trades, stealing the draft, improvement from rookies that are of decent potential and getting impact FA agents without blowing the budget.</div>

Well, one time there was this much hype about the Warriors going into the offseason they ended up losing Jamison and Arenas before the next season started. The other time there was this much hype was the year when Baron Davis was traded to the Warriors. But the following year the team still had Mike Montgomery as head coach and the cancers of Mike Dunleavy and Troy Murphy (look at the plunge the Pacers have faced since the trade). If there is any positivity to think about going into next season which may be enough to end the "wait 'til next season" curse is that the team now has a great coach in Don Nelson vs. Mike Montgomery, also the team has an upgrade from Murphy and Dunleavy to Harrington and Jackson, which are different from the previous seasons ends. Now the team still has Mullin as GM and he always seems ready to make a deal, so that may be one thing to consider to maybe harm this current momentum.

But then again we are talking about the Warriors with the most injury-prone franchise and Baron going down with a big injury is never far away. Then there is also Pietrus (though he may not be on the team) and Elllis who also get banged up pretty good. And who knows what type of health Jason Richardson will be facing after his leg problems this year? Also I can see the Western Conference being much more difficult next season, especially if the Hornets can stay healthy. Also who knows how improved a team like Portland will be after the draft or maybe even the Kings.

So, yeah, there is no time better than the present. I have some hope left that the Warriors can pull it out and get into the playoffs and then pull off a 1975 and win the title and shock the world. [​IMG]

5. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

I hope we can win a championship some day, Clif. That would be awesome.

I thinking making the playoffs would be something of an equivalent to that for all of us right now.

Injuries have been pretty nasty to us, but part of me thinks we could have been more talented if we had gotten off to a better start than 2004 season when Foyle was the first multi-million dollar FA signing and Mullin had picked a rookie coach for a team that didn't have good, seasoned big men. Plus, the preferred tempo of the team is to run, shoot threes, and isolate whereas Montgomery prefers constant screening, backdoor cutting, and midrange jump shooting. Oh and we had Murphy/Dunleavy who probably would never co-exist together without some kind of inside presence and fast guards. I think on some situations if guys in the backcourt got killed on dribble penetration, then Dunleavy and Murphy would be the next line of defense after that. And then the lack of a center was disappointing as in most Princeton offenses, you need a smart, good passer with good hands as a center and Foyle was anything but that and neither was Biedrins that much. I'm glad at least Sjax and Harrington are an improvement in the footspeed department, hands, brains, and experience. And although they're not physical or jump-out-of-the-gym type of players, they are an improvement over Foyle/Dunleavy/Murphy occupying the middle and frontcourt together. That's just a waste of money. Soft, stiff, weak, and sometimes mentally/physically incapable of being consistent on both ends of the floor. Beans/Sjax/Harrington are a lot more effective IMO although the trade had seemed like a wash because of the rebounding/team defense problem. But, I've believed in guys like Sjax since day 1 even though he's a thug type character. I think he's got good skills as a swingman. And I think Harrington is better off as a sixth man, but heck I'll take it if he can sprint the floor and make some plays. Plus, he's got a good personality which is good for the young players. That's something positive to add about Harrington.

I think the three guard attack is great though. Baron, Ellis, and Sjax are nice playmakers.

6. AnimeFANatic

AnimeFANatic JBB JustBBall Member

auhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The BBALL gods have something against the Warriors

The Nuggets and Clips should not be winning damnit

7. Clif25

Well the Warriors are 37-39 and the Clippers are 37-37. The Clippers' next two games are vs. Denver and @ Dallas. If the Clippers lose both games then they are 37-39, the same as the Warriors today. The conflict with this is that, in that same time span the Warriors face the Spurs in San Antonio and then the Jazz in Oakland. So basically the next two two weeks (the last two weeks of the regular season) are going to be filled with crucial games, continuing Saturday in San Antonio. Though the odds may not favor it, the Warriors could be tied with the Clippers by tomorrow night. I have a feeling I shouldn't hold my breath too much on this. But this is getting very fun and thrilling. Just keep on winning.

8. Warriorfansnc93

<div class="quote_poster">Clif25 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Just keep on winning.</div>

That sounds like Dori in Finding Nemo... "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming".

9. AnimeFANatic

LOL

Warriors and Pacers are both 1 game out of playoffs.

10. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

<div class="quote_poster">AnimeFANatic Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">LOL

Warriors and Pacers are both 1 game out of playoffs.</div>The difference is, if you are in that position in the West you could still be a pretty decent team. In the east, it's just pathetic.

11. AnimeFANatic

<div class="quote_poster">HiRez Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">The difference is, if you are in that position in the West you could still be a pretty decent team. In the east, it's just pathetic.</div>

Indiana is 14.5 games behind the first seed... Warriors are 26.5 games behind the 1st seed...

Imagine if the Warriors were in the East lol

12. Warriorfansnc93

<div class="quote_poster">AnimeFANatic Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Indiana is 14.5 games behind the first seed... Warriors are 26.5 games behind the 1st seed...

Imagine if the Warriors were in the East lol</div>

Have you seen our conference record? We are right at .500 and our record against the east is less than that...

13. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

I wonder if home games in the East means we'd be undefeated? [​IMG]

Man... the Warriors are such headcases... why could'nt they have won on the road more.

14. Legacy

Legacy Beast

Who holds the tiebreaker between the Warriors and Clippers?

15. Pgballer17

Pgballer17 JBB JustBBall Member

2-2 i'm pretty sure.

16. Warriorfansnc93

Unfortunately I think the Clips do because of their division record...

17. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

Yeah, the Clips own the tiebreaker sothe lead might as well be 1.5 games...Warriors will have to make up two full games on the Clips somewhere. That's why I think they're going to have to win every one of the last 5 games. Chances of Clips dropping 2 are not great with the way they've been playing, but it's possible because they have a rough week including 4 games in 5 nights. The chances of them dropping 3 of their remaining games is practically nil IMO. Warriors have absolutely no margin for error, no one can take a night off, no one can come in cold and try to shoot their way out of it (as Barnes almost did in SA but that was an expected loss anyway). Someone needs to start each game hot and they need to keep going to that guy or guys. The good news is all 5 games are winnable for the Warriors, and taken individually, I'd expect them to win each one considering their recent play. It's just hard to win 5 straight in the NBA under any circumstances though. On any night, any team can be hot, you can be cold, the fates can conspire to trip you up.

18. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

Sorry I've been away, not because Warriors stunk for a while, but because I moved with my family to a new house.

I watched the Warriors put up 45 on the Suns in the 1st quarter and they looked awesome, running the break. they showed some great heart. The run that the Warriors have put up at the end was inconceivable about 2 weeks ago, the way they were playing.

I think playoffs or not, it validates Mully/Nellie's thinking in making the trade and shaping the team. 2007-2008 looks pretty bright. (Didn't we say that at the end of last year too?)

19. Clif25

Well, this is a good day for the Warriors, at least for right now. The Warriors are 38-40 (should be 39-39?) and the Clippers are 37-39. If the Warriors play like this, then they will have a good shot at winning many more games. Also, fortunate for the Warriors, the Mavs have clinched the top spot in the playoffs against the Clippers which may mean the Mavericks will be an easier opponent. Avery Johnson has already told Dirk and some others that they are not coming to Minnesota on their road trip. But, nonetheless the final stretch is filled with anxiety I think. The Clippers travel to face the Hornets tomorrow. I am rooting for the Hornets. Then they have to face the Lakers (@ LA if the color of the floor has an impact on teams play), vs. Portland (back-to-back) and Sacramento, then finally @ the Suns and vs. the Hornets(again a back-to-back). The Warriors have 4 games left and they are @ Sac, vs. Minnesota, vs, Dallas, @ Portland. I say playoffs a-side, the Warriors finishing this stretch with 3 more wins, ending the season with 41 wins, and finishing .500 will be a great accomplishment. Man I am so excited, but I don't want to jinx anything so I am not going to say anymore.

20. oaktank88

oaktank88 JBB JustBBall Member

i think we could conceivably run the table and end the season with a winning record. There is no way avery plays his studs much if at all in the second to last game of the season on the road. lets hope he doesn't even bring dirk and the gang to oakland. how great would it be to face the mavs bench for a whole game? plus we should definitely be winning the minny, portland, and sac games, we just gotta make sure the intensity is there for those games and we dont play down to their level. i think 42-40 will get us into the playoffs. i see the clips winning 41, maybe 40 if NO steals a game from them, but i definitely do not see them winning 42. I think every game from here until the end of the season is a must win. we can't worry about other teams losing. go out there and get the job done.