Game Thread Playoffs - First Round Game 01 - Bucks @ Bulls

Discussion in 'Chicago Bulls' started by bullsger, Apr 17, 2015.

?

Your prediction for this series...

Poll closed Apr 19, 2015.
  1. Bulls in 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Bulls in 5

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Bulls in 6

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  4. Bulls in 7

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Bucks in 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Bucks in 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Bucks in 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Bucks in 7

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. rosenthall

rosenthall Well-Known Member

Good game......a little better than I anticipated. Jo and Derrick looked spry and the D really tightened up the second half. The Bucks were never really in it in the 2nd half.

Pau was terrible, but you have to figure that won't last. The UC crowd really sucks. Internet Bulls fans and UC Bulls fans are really different animals.

Overall I'm very pleased. Go Bulls!

Denny Crane likes this.
  2. Bullsville

Bullsville Intelligent Bulls Fan

Sportswriter
    I could ask him to remove the three starters he left on the floor at the dead ball with 51 seconds left and a 14 point lead, in a game that wasn't that close. Thankfully, none of them tore an ACL this time.

I could ask him to give one of the NBA's premier 4th quarter scorers more than 5:54 of 4th quarter playing time.

I could ask him to play the guy who led the Bulls in scoring per 36 (and was 3rd overall in only 26 minutes/game) and was 2nd in +/- behind Butler down the stretch of the season (28 games post All-Star break) more than ZERO minutes at one of his two natural positions, and more than 13:29 overall.

I could ask him, like former NBA player and current analyst Jon Barry did several times throughout the game, why the offense rarely went to Gasol in the post when the Bucks have nobody on their team who has a prayer of guarding him down there.

Hopefully, the Bulls can win this series and three more in a row, and nobody important will tear an ACL in absolute garbage time.

3. bullsger

bullsger Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Can't hear this anymore. Please stop.

bulls_with_booz and Denny Crane like this.
  4. kukoc4ever

kukoc4ever Let's win a ring! Staff Member Moderator

The Bulls will win this series as long as Rose continues taking it to the hole and converting efficiently and the Bulls bigs dominate the rebounding battle (Gibson / Noah / Gasol) as they did, and the team closes out on 3 pointers.

Then the Bulls will likely lose to the Cleveland Cavilers, the odds on favorite to win the NBA title. If all players can live up to their skill / talent level / paycheck then perhaps the Bulls have a punchers chance. The key is Rose needs to perform close to all-star / mvp level.

5. kukoc4ever

kukoc4ever Let's win a ring! Staff Member Moderator

Very nice win for the Bulls.

Bulls win the rebounding battle 52-41. They owned the paint. Gasol, Noah and Gibson all with double digit rebounds. Gibson especially imposed his will down there.

Rose. Loved seeing him taking it to the rack and finishing. Very efficient 9-16 from him and 2-2 from the line. 7 assists were nice to see, and there would have been more if the chemistry between him and Gasol was not off (lack of playing time / getting the ball to Gasol in situations where the 34 year old can't do much with hit). Don't like him falling in love with the 3 again. 4 turnovers is too many. Rose won the matchup against MCW.

Noah looked good. Grabbing rebounds, steals and moving decent.

Bulls held the Bucks to 39% shooting and 25% from three. I thought the Bulls did a decent job closing out on 3 point shooters. The Bulls D goaded the young Bucks into low efficiency two point jump shots.

Jimmy Butler with a masterful performance. MDJ was 3-5 from deep. Brooks was 3-5 from deep and had a good scoring game. Bulls shot 37.5% from 3.

The above is the exact design of how this roster was built by the front office to win NBA playoff basketball games.

-----

Negatives.

Too many turnovers. Rose and Brooks need to do a better job here. 9 assists and 7 turnovers from our point guards is not nice to see.

Rose falling in love with the 3 point shot again in the 2nd half. I don't want that. Take it to the hole Derrick.

Gasol had a low fg% game but much of that, IMO, was him getting the ball in spots where he's not used to, and most of that had to do with Rose. These are the chemistry / playing together issues that Thibs always talks about, along with defensive trust, but they just will have to develop this over the 1st series.

Taj getting injured after playing so well. Thankfully the Bulls do have 4 good to great PFs/Cs if one goes down. Still though, the Bulls will need a healthy Taj Gibson if they are going anywhere meaningful.

FT shooting.

----

If the Bulls continue to own the paint, Rose keeps having 9-16 games while aggressively attacking the basket, the Bulls keep shooting around 45%, our 3 point snipers hit and they cut down on the turnovers and hit more FTs, I think its on to round 2 quite quickly!

A happy night to be a Bulls fan. Bulls fans rooting for the team to do well should be happy. Bucks fans and people hoping the Bulls do poorly should be ANGRY!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  6. rosenthall

Nice synopsis and I agree.

To me the big positives were an MVP-type game from Rose, strong defense and domination of the boards. These were issues we struggled with all year so it was nice to see these handled so well.

Pau was terrible, but like I said I expect this to improve over the series.

It's a good day to be a Bulls fan.

Denny Crane likes this.
  7. such sweet thunder

such sweet thunder Member Staff Member Moderator

I'm finding it hard to get a handle on the game. I'm glad that Rose played well-ish yesterday. He's not going to consistently hit from three like that -- that's fool's gold -- but he seemed to handle and attack well and get the team into its offense. I know Pau had a tough shooting game but I thought he looked like he had an extra gear on the defensive end. I'm not sure we've seen him track guards on the perimeter as well as he did yesterday, which I guess is what you hope for from your seasoned vets.

Really, though, what I'm left with is frustration and boredom. Thibodeau doesn't believe in Mirotic or Snell. He's going to ride Taj and Dunleavy here on out, who both had solid if not exceptional games. And maybe those rotations give the team the best chance of beating the Bucks. Those rotations are never going to win a championship. There's still something missing from the starting lineup even when Derrick Rose is healthy, and Thibodeau hasn't sought to change it.

Careful Transplant, you might be coming over to the dark side? :-)

I actually don't think it's about a leash now. It looked to me like Thibodeau doesn't like the way Mirotic plays with Rose at the three, and to be honest, I'm not crazy about it either. Mirotic seems to struggle creating space for him while at small forward. It would have been nice if Thibodeau did more to work Mirotic in at the three or with Derrick Rose this past season, but he didn't and that time has past. I'm expecting Mirotic's numbers to drop into the single digits as Rose gets more healthy.

8. transplant

transplant Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Not likely. I can still tell the difference between Beelzebub and a member of the Bulls ownership/front office.

9. rosenthall

I thought Rose's judgment yesterday was very good, including his 3-point shot selection. He got a little loose with them towards the end of the game, but I thought most of his shots were taken in rhythm.

FWIW here's his shot chart from the game:

[​IMG]

If he's driving to the basket 1st and shooting from distance 2nd then I'm fine with that. I think the real test will be how he reacts to the game when his 3-ball isn't falling. For most of the season he's failed to handle this well. Too often he lulls himself into thinking he can shoot his way out of it. I don't think his game works that way. He shoots better when he's being aggressive in other facets of the game.

I'm actually encouraged they both got 15 minutes of playing time. I know that doesn't seem like much, but the fact that they were used that way means Thibs has decided they're both going to be part of the playoff rotations.

If Thibs trusts you enough to play you 15 minutes in an important game, he probably trusts you enough to play 30+ if you're playing really well. I think Mirotic and Snell will both get chances to shine, albeit not as consistently as some here would like.

10. bulls_with_booz

bulls_with_booz We're Selfish

Damn if you piss bullsger off you've accomplished something lmao.

11. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    Another great post.

My take is that it would take an injury ahead of those two for them to get more playing time.

Nobody's commented on how Thibs brilliantly replaced Rose with Snell and we had no PG on the floor for a bit. Kidd then brought in Bayless and Thibs brought in Brooks. The smartness of these chess moves was it kept Brooks from having to guard MCW; he would have been posted up.

upload_2015-4-19_15-36-49.png

Bayless is a small guy like Brooks. Nice match up.

bulls_with_booz likes this.
  12. transplant

I'll agree that replacing Rose with Snell is unconventional, but brilliant? Kinda looked like the Bulls were -3.

13. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    How do you think Brooks would have done guarding MCW?

Brooks is maybe 6'0"
    MCW is 6'6"

I think Thibs looked at game film of earlier games and saw MCW posted up against Brooks.

What would you have done different? I know, I know. Take out Taj and put in Mirotic.

14. bulls_with_booz

bulls_with_booz We're Selfish

Nice one Denny. Thibs out smarted Kidd in the first game. All business.

15. transplant

Just because you or I agree with a move a coach makes doesn't make it brilliant.

I seem to recall you telling me recently that the way to counter a mismatch is to bring defensive help. Though conventional, that is indeed what most coaches do. It's also what I suspect Thibodeau will do most of the time when MCW's in there and neither Rose nor Hinrich is available.

16. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Sure looks to me like Thibs went to a pair of 6'7" guards who play good/great defense and Kidd responded within ~30 seconds by going small. He took out his SF for a tiny guard.

I don't ever remember Thibs putting in Snell for the PG and going without a PG on the floor. EVER.

Your "though conventional" logic doesn't fly.

17. transplant

Oh damn. I was so hoping that you'd think my logic had wings.

18. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Bulls played the Bucks 4 times in the regular season, and Philly when MCW was there. If Thibs ever played no PG against him, I didn't see it.

19. such sweet thunder

such sweet thunder Member Staff Member Moderator

I think you guys are way, way overthinking the Snell/no point guard lineup. It looked to me like D. Rose was really winded when he went to the bench and I figured he asked out early. Didn't the broadcasters mention something along those lines on the national broadcast? I just figured that Snell was the person at the table who was ready to go in for Dunleavy, before Rose requested out. Am I making all this up? Occasionally I do.

20. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Snell didn't go in for Dunleavy.

Brooks is the first off the bench to go in at PG. Has been all season. Hinrich was supposed to be the shooting guard who can't shoot but got a player option in his oversized contract.