Playoffs: Game 1 - Warriors @ Mavs April 22, 2007

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Custodianrules2, Apr 22, 2007.

1. AnimeFANatic

AnimeFANatic JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Clif25 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">lol, yeah. It's funny. It's only one game, so it doesn't mean a whole lot, but it definitley is significant. The funny remark during half-time was Kenny's comments about, "'who are the Warriors?' is the question everyone is asking" and after the first half he thinks he knows it all. I guess nobody really does know anything about the Warriors. Barkley thinks that they are just a bunch of midgets. Some outside NBA fan I read just thought the team is filled with a bunch of punks (a la Jackson and idk who else, Harrington maybe?), most experts just see this team as all offense and no defense or very unversatile and just being "hector skeltor" or Peter Vesey's "[something] combustion". But then Magic questions at halftime what this team does when it becomes more organized. Then after the game Magic is going goo-goo over Baron his 'little brother" and Kenny Smith's "cousin" and all that. It's pretty funny. I guess when you are a big name like Magic or Barkley you can say whatever you want and not be insightful and it'll be OK for most.

Tonight I guess people have recognized the Warriors defense, met Matt Barnes, and got to know Baron Davis a little better. And hopefully when people are asking what bigs the Warriors have, they'll get a pleasurable experience getting to know Andris Biedrins.

But really, the Warriors play best as underdogs. So maybe it's better if the people around the NBA still think very little of this team.</div>

Not to crap on your good post, I agree with most of it, but Magic and Baron have always been close. Magic has praised Baron before on TNT and he really liked Baron. Magic even handed over his summer nights dream LA bball event to Baron to host. So I don't mind the diss on all the commentators as they deserve it, but Magic always had Barons back. He really does see him as a brother.

Also, is there any way we can watch post game interviews?

2. kobe23

kobe23 JBB JustBBall Member

College Undergrad
    <div class="quote_poster">Clif25 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Yeah, he'd probably average 45-50 points per game hah.</div>

i second that lol

Can anyone predict a Mavs upset LOL

3. K8BE24

K8BE24 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Clif25 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Yeah, he'd probably average 45-50 points per game hah.</div>

[​IMG]

4. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Clif25 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">lol, yeah. It's funny. It's only one game, so it doesn't mean a whole lot, but it definitley is significant. The funny remark during half-time was Kenny's comments about, "'who are the Warriors?' is the question everyone is asking" and after the first half he thinks he knows it all. I guess nobody really does know anything about the Warriors. Barkley thinks that they are just a bunch of midgets. Some outside NBA fan I read just thought the team is filled with a bunch of punks (a la Jackson and idk who else, Harrington maybe?), most experts just see this team as all offense and no defense or very unversatile and just being "hector skeltor" or Peter Vesey's "[something] combustion". But then Magic questions at halftime what this team does when it becomes more organized. Then after the game Magic is going goo-goo over Baron his 'little brother" and Kenny Smith's "cousin" and all that. It's pretty funny. I guess when you are a big name like Magic or Barkley you can say whatever you want and not be insightful and it'll be OK for most.

Tonight I guess people have recognized the Warriors defense, met Matt Barnes, and got to know Baron Davis a little better. And hopefully when people are asking what bigs the Warriors have, they'll get a pleasurable experience getting to know Andris Biedrins.

But really, the Warriors play best as underdogs. So maybe it's better if the people around the NBA still think very little of this team.</div>

I just watched the FSN broadcast. I figure Bob & Jim have been with us all this time, they deserve it to, I'm happy they get to telecast the POs after so many years of frustration, and they did a great job. I taped the TNT post game just to watch the interviews. Baron and Nellie were candid.

5. K8BE24

K8BE24 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">kobe23 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">i second that lol

Can anyone predict a Mavs upset LOL</div>

Warriors in 6

6. AnimeFANatic

<div class="quote_poster">K8BE24 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Warriors in 6</div>

What we need is all the bottom 3 seeds to upset the top 3 seeds [​IMG]

7. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Obviously this game was huge for hundreds of reasons but as I come off the initial high of this amazing win a few things stand out to me:

1) Its just nice to have one game done for the playoff virgins to get it out of the way and get rid of the jitters, but it actually turned into a win on the opposing team's home court. J-Rich, Monta, Pietrus, Biedrins all were either non-existent or just plain bad tonight. They got that game out of the way and hopefully really learned from Baron and Jackson what it takes to win a game in the playoffs.

2) What more can Dallas do? What adjustments can they make? They come away from this game with a loss but more importantly they're probably about as clueless regarding how to beat us as they were before the game. They still don't know whether they want to play big or small, they can't defend Baron when hes railing 3's and fadeaway 18 footers, most of the GS team played poorly and they still lost, they can't score on the Warriors even in Dallas with the fans on their side, how will they get Dirk going offensively? They'll make adjustments but even if they do I'd expect J-Rich, Monta, and Biedrins to all play much better in the coming games and we'll be completely different to gameplan against.

3) Game 2 is an absolute must win for Dallas. I guess they all are at this point but giving GS a 2-0 lead going into 2 consecutive games in Oakland would be extremely difficult to overcome. It would also be a huge mental blow to the Mavs and they may start really believing that they can't beat us.

8. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">AnimeFANatic Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Not to crap on your good post, I agree with most of it, but Magic and Baron have always been close. Magic has praised Baron before on TNT and he really liked Baron. Magic even handed over his summer nights dream LA bball event to Baron to host. So I don't mind the diss on all the commentators as they deserve it, but Magic always had Barons back. He really does see him as a brother.

Also, is there any way we can watch post game interviews?</div>

Oh, yeah I was thinking that as well and that they probably had some close connections especially since both are very closely affiliated with Los Angeles. Magic does amazing things for so many people. I am not knocking him on that at all. I admire Magic in all of his charity. Baron is a good guy too and I bet Baron and Magic as a team off the court probably does a whole lot for many communities. And I have no problem Magic calling Baron his little brother. But yeah, I guess I was kind of just being a little punk on the NBA's commentators.

Let's go Warriors!
    Man next game is WEDNESDAY. That is a long time off, I think.

9. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Run BJM Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Obviously this game was huge for hundreds of reasons but as I come off the initial high of this amazing win a few things stand out to me:

1) Its just nice to have one game done for the playoff virgins to get it out of the way and get rid of the jitters, but it actually turned into a win on the opposing team's home court. J-Rich, Monta, Pietrus, Biedrins all were either non-existent or just plain bad tonight. They got that game out of the way and hopefully really learned from Baron and Jackson what it takes to win a game in the playoffs.

2) What more can Dallas do? What adjustments can they make? They come away from this game with a loss but more importantly they're probably about as clueless regarding how to beat us as they were before the game. They still don't know whether they want to play big or small, they can't defend Baron when hes railing 3's and fadeaway 18 footers, most of the GS team played poorly and they still lost, they can't score on the Warriors even in Dallas with the fans on their side, how will they get Dirk going offensively? They'll make adjustments but even if they do I'd expect J-Rich, Monta, and Biedrins to all play much better in the coming games and we'll be completely different to gameplan against.

3) Game 2 is an absolute must win for Dallas. I guess they all are at this point but giving GS a 2-0 lead going into 2 consecutive games in Oakland would be extremely difficult to overcome. It would also be a huge mental blow to the Mavs and they may start really believing that they can't beat us.</div>

Good, valid points. But I think the Mavericks can make some adjustments and find a way to break through. Diop got dumped on with loads of fouls quickly. Their offense will most likely make adjustments. Josh Howard and Jason Terry will probably become stronger assets on offense to relieve pressure on Dirk, and just let Dirk be a catch-and-shoot shooter from the perimeter to get his shot going. It all comes down to adjustments, counters, and counteradjustments along with which players step up and play. Legitimately, the Warriors have so many threats offensively that if the Mavericks put all of their focus on Baron Davis, then there are 4 other players on the court who are going to knock down the open shot. Also with the way the Warriors have been passing, it doesn't make things much easier for the Mavericks.

The thing that might come back and bite this team in the butt is rebounds (and though this hasn't been a game-deciding problem, but turnovers may be a bit of a drag at some point). Otherwise the Warriors seem pretty strong offensively and defensively against this team (this includes even if the Mavs go big, since I have confidence in Biedrins and know what Foyle can do on the court).

Also as far as your first point, it really did look a bit awkward watching this team the first few minutes of the game. They definitley looked like they were on an extra gear of andrinaline moving up and down that court. It was actually a good thing, I think, that they slowed it down some. I can't wait for Pietrus' 3 point shot from the corner to go down.

10. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance
    I have not read all of your comments, but just want to chime in real quick.

The W's played inspiring ball. They perservered a tough offensive first half with a great second half. The defense fueled the win and I hope they can continue the trend in the second game but it'll be tough as the Mavs will make adjustments.

Just glad we got a win.

11. upsidedownside7

upsidedownside7 JBB JustBBall Member

Awesome, awesome, awesome, aweeeeesooome WIN!!!

This wasn't even our A game and we still won. INCREDIBLE!

Montay needs to play better. He's the x-factor for our team. I am confident he will so no worries there.

Jax and Baron were FANTASTIC. JRich was all heart, he really needs to understand how the foul situation is different in the playoffs rather than the regular season. Even Barnes was playing like an ANIMAL!!!

The biggest factor is Don Nelson OWNS Avery Johnson. SERIOUSLY. AJ didn't make a single adjustment and after the game AJ looked like train wreck during his post game conference.

I have NO IDEA why AJ went small to match golden state. NONE! Dallas playing without a shot blocker and rebounder next to Dirk played right into Nelson's hands. The middle was open and the rebounding differential was minimal and Dirk gave them nothing.

I honestly don't expect Biedrins to get much time in this series. He can't shoot, for those two minutes tonight Dampier totally outmuscled him and look at him, he was completely rattled tonight. Keep Harrington at the 5. Dallas will go big, we really need Harrington to run their centers off the floor and force AJ playing Dirk at center again.

I honestly believe the warriors will beat the Mavericks.

12. boogiescott

boogiescott JBB JustBBall Member

postgame interviews in their entirety are on nba tv.... they had nellie, avery, dirkl, baron, then baron and j-rich last night.....

All nelson did was downplay the teams success with the "Gee whiz" guys you all know we are talking the best team in the league....we just got a bit lucky..... their shots were'nt falling.... they will next game.... we have to be prepared for that.....

it was pretty funny.... j-rich and baron together was funny as well

I believe espn news channel also shows the post game

13. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

"The Trade" could go down as one of the most important in recent history, which is amazing in that is didn't really involve a single star player (MAYBE Harrington fit that at the time, but barely) and two non-elite teams. But it transformed the Warriors from a perennial loser into a serious playoff threat overnight. Can anyone imagine this win with Dun and Murph in the lineup? I know, they wouldn't have even made the playoffs in the first place. Baron was amazing and is carrying the team on his back through the rough spots right now, but all I could think of was how happy I am to have SJax and AH instead of Dun and Murph. It's like trading in your rusty Pinto wagon for a Porche.

I agree a Dallas loss in game 2 would be absolutely devastating for them, and I think if somehow the Warriors can win that, the series is over. I don't see them winning 2 of of 3 in Oakland, that place is going to go nuts. Still predicting Mavs to win the series if I'm being honest, but if the Warriors steal another one Wednesday night I will have to eat my words and change my tune.

14. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

<div class="quote_poster">HiRez Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">"The Trade" could go down as one of the most important in recent history, which is amazing in that is didn't really involve a single star player (MAYBE Harrington fit that at the time, but barely) and two non-elite teams. But it transformed the Warriors from a perennial loser into a serious playoff threat overnight. Can anyone imagine this win with Dun and Murph in the lineup? I know, they wouldn't have even made the playoffs in the first place. Baron was amazing and is carrying the team on his back through the rough spots right now, but all I could think of was how happy I am to have SJax and AH instead of Dun and Murph. It's like trading in your rusty Pinto wagon for a Porche.

I agree a Dallas loss in game 2 would be absolutely devastating for them, and I think if somehow the Warriors can win that, the series is over. I don't see them winning 2 of of 3 in Oakland, that place is going to go nuts. Still predicting Mavs to win the series if I'm being honest, but if the Warriors steal another one Wednesday night I will have to eat my words and change my tune.</div>

You and me both. I don't expect much from this team except to play the underdog, but if we manage to beat Dallas, holy crap! I would have never guessed Baron would be like having Jason Kidd on your team. (I think of him more like having a Steve Francis, only better playmaking)

15. tradebark

tradebark JBB JustBBall Member

I'm psyched after this win [​IMG][​IMG]

As many have pointed out the Warriors won with bad games from some key players..

My worry is how easily Harris was able to score.. It just seemed like he got to the rim at will (even though he wasn't finishing in the first half).

Other than that I get the feeling that while Dallas is a solid defensive team, they aren't imposing enough to enforce their pace on opponents (like say San Antonio of the past few years).. I mean the Suns pushed them without Amare last year and the Warriors are basically playing the same sort of game

I'm really pulling for a GS upset!! The NBA needs teams like this again!

16. lakers_kb24

lakers_kb24 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">AnimeFANatic Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">What we need is all the bottom 3 seeds to upset the top 3 seeds [​IMG]</div>

I hope that would happen, then the playoffs wouldn't feel so repetitive and actually be more exciting vause everything would be unexpected, lol don't think it will happen though.

17. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    Something else to chew on... people talk about the Mavs adjustments. Nellie purposely went with a small rotation, he could easily change things up and throw Biedrins out there a bit more and have Monta push the ball up the floor more. I wouldn't worry about the Mavs adjustments as much as the Mavs should be worried about how Nellie will tweak the lineup once he sees what Avery will do.

Remember, the Mavs had been convince that the regular season "Doesn't count" but that inter view with Dirk showed me that the Warriors are completely in their heads. Remember when we were talking about this team growing a pair on the road? Well... Last game Jackson and Davis showed the world that they have ones the size of bowling balls.

Go Warriors!

18. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">HiRez Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">"The Trade" could go down as one of the most important in recent history, which is amazing in that is didn't really involve a single star player (MAYBE Harrington fit that at the time, but barely) and two non-elite teams. But it transformed the Warriors from a perennial loser into a serious playoff threat overnight. Can anyone imagine this win with Dun and Murph in the lineup? I know, they wouldn't have even made the playoffs in the first place. Baron was amazing and is carrying the team on his back through the rough spots right now, but all I could think of was how happy I am to have SJax and AH instead of Dun and Murph. It's like trading in your rusty Pinto wagon for a Porche.

I agree a Dallas loss in game 2 would be absolutely devastating for them, and I think if somehow the Warriors can win that, the series is over. I don't see them winning 2 of of 3 in Oakland, that place is going to go nuts. Still predicting Mavs to win the series if I'm being honest, but if the Warriors steal another one Wednesday night I will have to eat my words and change my tune.</div>

Well Dallas has benn know to *cough**cough* choke up a few when pressured, and GS is sure doing that!!!I posted a while back that I wanted GS to play Dallassoooo bad. Great win for you guys,The look on Cuban's face was priceless!!!

19. AnimeFANatic

<div class="quote_poster">boogielew Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">postgame interviews in their entirety are on nba tv.... they had nellie, avery, dirkl, baron, then baron and j-rich last night.....

All nelson did was downplay the teams success with the "Gee whiz" guys you all know we are talking the best team in the league....we just got a bit lucky..... their shots were'nt falling.... they will next game.... we have to be prepared for that.....

it was pretty funny.... j-rich and baron together was funny as well

I believe espn news channel also shows the post game</div>

On the Warriors site they have links to the entire post game interview for viewing [​IMG]

20. Wild Child

Wild Child JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Clif25 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">After Stockton and the Czar mentioned how many rebounds Baron had half way through the first quarter, I thought he would get a triple double tonight. However that didn't happen, but he made enough points to make the lack of a triple double very tolerable. </div>

I noticed that Baron just misses triple-doubles a lot. He often misses by 1 or 2 rebounds, or like in last nights game he missed by 2 assists. I'm sure records are kept on double-doubles, but I'd like to find out how many "almost triple-doubles" Baron has, meaning how many times he missed it by one or two rebounds. Other players will score and rebound and get lots of double-doubles, but they will have maybe 2 assists. Baron is a walking "almost triple-double" every night, when he's healthy. [​IMG]