Playoffs: Game 1 - Warriors @ Mavs April 22, 2007

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Custodianrules2, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Wild Child

Wild Child JBB JustBBall Member

They were saying during the TNT halftime show that Dallas is built to be versatile and able to play lots of different ways. I don't agree. Just because you have small players that you can throw on the court doesn't mean you can hustle for 48 minutes, play the fiesty defense, and make the amazing passes, great steals, and fast break plays that the Warriors make. Harrington and SJax have both admitted this was the most rigorous style of play they had ever seen. They have both lost weight in our run & gun system. While the Mavs can "try" to emulate our style, there's no way that will work for 4 quarters. I was not surprised at all that we won the second half. We imposed "Warrior Ball" on the Mavs. they have no answer. If they go with their traditional lineup, we will run them off the court for a huge blowout. They aren't conditioned for small ball. We play that way EVERY GAME. You can't just flip a switch. Avery even said that he and his coaching staff felt adjusting to small ball was their best shot, because their bigs couldn't keep up. Other than individual, one-on-one matchup changes, I don't know what the Mavs can do!

<font size=""7""><font color=""Navy"">WARRIOR</font> <font color=""Orange"">BALL!</font></font>

2. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    I pretty sure the Mavs are going to post Dirk, Howard and Diop more. Also, they got Harris, Terry and Stackhouse who can drive and take it inside. They're going to attack the Warriors' interior D on offense since they were successful at it. Expect AB to be more a factor inside. Moreover, they can continue to pound the offensive glass and work to get second shots. The key is to wear the Warriors down and not let them get long rebounds.

Second, they're going to make Baron work and make him pass the ball instead of allowing him to post and shoot; They may double down on Baron because no one on the Mavs can cover him one on one. I'm not sure what they can do to shut the Warriors down if they're making their shots. The helter skelter play and crisp passing to the open man upsets the Mavs D and they can't get their fast break going. It also allows the Warriors to get long rebounds.

3. upsidedownside7

upsidedownside7 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">CohanHater Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Something else to chew on... people talk about the Mavs adjustments. Nellie purposely went with a small rotation, he could easily change things up and throw Biedrins out there a bit more and have Monta push the ball up the floor more. I wouldn't worry about the Mavs adjustments as much as the Mavs should be worried about how Nellie will tweak the lineup once he sees what Avery will do.
    Go Warriors!</div>

Montay will get more time, Biedrins won't, not against this team.

4. Wild Child

Wild Child JBB JustBBall Member

Steve Kerr's blog on Yahoo:

* Player of the Day: Baron Davis. The Warriors point guard was unstoppable in leading his band of athletic and ultra-quick teammates and making life miserable for Dallas.

* The Mavs actually changed their lineup to match up with Davis, starting Devean George in place of Erick Dampier. When was the last time the league's No. 1 seed altered its starting lineup to match up with an 8 seed? That's the respect that Dallas coach Avery Johnson has for Davis, who is incredibly strong and is Golden State's best post-up player.

* George did what he could on Davis, but it wasn't anywhere near enough. It will be interesting to see if Johnson goes back to his usual starting lineup for Game 2.

* If Johnson does return to his regular lineup, the problem is that either Jason Terry or Devin Harris will have to cover Davis. Both are too small to handle the Warriors' powerful guard. Also, the Mavericks face a mismatch on the perimeter with Dampier trying to cover Al Harrington, Golden State's "center."

* Therein lies the problem for Dallas: The Mavericks are looking at mismatches in two spots, and if Dampier or DeSagana Diop comes off the floor to fix one matchup, there's no interior defensive presence. And at the offensive end, Dallas doesn't have an inside player who can make the Warriors pay for going small.

* The usual strategy against a small lineup is to pound the ball inside, but Dampier and Diop aren't offensive players. Dirk Nowitzki would rather play on the perimeter, too. This is a nightmarish situation for Johnson, but he's smart and competitive and has a versatile roster. He and his team have a lot to think about as they try to solve the Warrior riddle.

Source

5. Detroit Madness

Detroit Madness JBB JustBBall Member

Settle down Golden State fans, it was only a fluke.

6. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">Detroit Madness Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Settle down Golden State fans, it was only a fluke.</div>

Never heard that one before. [​IMG]

7. Gohn

Gohn JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Settle down Golden State fans, it was only a fluke.</div>
    Keep saying that. I'm not saying this in a mean way; I just think the Warriors play better with the underdog, us against the world attitude. The less people that believe in them the better. Mavs in 6.

8. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance
    <div class="quote_poster">jason voorhees Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">
    Second, they're going to make Baron work and make him pass the ball instead of allowing him to post and shoot; They may double down on Baron because no one on the Mavs can cover him one on one. I'm not sure what they can do to shut the Warriors down if they're making their shots. The helter skelter play and crisp passing to the open man upsets the Mavs D and they can't get their fast break going. It also allows the Warriors to get long rebounds.</div>

+1

Baron was really the only one who shined in Game 1 for the W's. The good news for Game 2 is that we can expect the Mavs to focus a lot on Baron, but then that leaves J-Rich, Monta, Harrington, and Pietrus to have a big impact. Baron is our best post-up player, and it just so happens, he is a point guard, which means he's going to be racking up a lot of assists...at least, that is what I'm hoping.

Baron will have double-digit assists and have a much less scoring impact as that's what the others need to do.

9. Martin

Martin Back from retirement

<div class="quote_poster">Detroit Madness Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Settle down Golden State fans, it was only a fluke.</div>

So were the other 3 games that the Warriors have won against the Mavs?
    To sweep the season series with a team that won 67 games during the season is pretty impressive

10. AirJordan

AirJordan JBB JustBBall Member

Go Warriors

11. AnimeFANatic

AnimeFANatic JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Martin Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">So were the other 3 games that the Warriors have won against the Mavs?
    To sweep the season series with a team that won 67 games during the season is pretty impressive</div>

This was their 6th straight against the Mavs also...

12. Pakman

Pakman JBB ITS ON ME!!!

MAN, im happy for the Warriors.

13. playmaker15

playmaker15 JBB Droppin Dimes

This is awesome that the Warriors can beat Dallas. They are a true underdog in this series and I really hope they can pull this off.

14. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance
    I've yet to see a reason why and how the Mavs can beat the Warriors in two seasons...

15. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">tradebark Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I'm psyched after this win [​IMG][​IMG]

As many have pointed out the Warriors won with bad games from some key players..

My worry is how easily Harris was able to score.. It just seemed like he got to the rim at will (even though he wasn't finishing in the first half).

Other than that I get the feeling that while Dallas is a solid defensive team, they aren't imposing enough to enforce their pace on opponents (like say San Antonio of the past few years).. I mean the Suns pushed them without Amare last year and the Warriors are basically playing the same sort of game

I'm really pulling for a GS upset!! The NBA needs teams like this again!</div>

Yeah, I am a bit worried about how easily Harris and Howard were able to penetrate. The ideal Mavericks adjustment will be to spread out the floor on offense and let Howard and Harris penetrate, maybe off a screen and then try to find the open man after the Warriors rotations for the easy shot on the perimeter or near the hoop. To go along with this theme, they'll probably pick up some schemes to pass the ball around to get the Warriors rotating and out of position again to find the open guys on the perimeter to knock down more shots, since they are good shooters on that team.

Part of the reason why the Mavericks couldn't "enforce their pace" last night is due to the Warriors doubling Dirk whenever he turns his back to the court and basket which usually met he's putting up a bad fade-away shot or that he is making passes to players he hasn't seen on the court. It's not surprising by the way Dirk played to see that the Mavericks played better with Dirk off the court.

As far as the Dallas/Warriors recent past, I think some teams just have other teams' numbers. The Warriors would have struggled against the Suns. But they do well against the Mavericks, and actually most teams outside of the Pacific Division in the Western Conference. The Warriors best record is against the two divisions in the West outside of the Pacific, including even compared to their record vs. the East(which I think was below .500). So far Don Nelson is 4-0 against his old team. I think Nelson with the Mavericks had the Warriors' (his previous former team) number when he was coach of the Mavericks, but that has changed since he's rejoined the Warriors.

Also this is only one game. Even if the Warriors win the next game and go up 2-0, I am not going to be guaranteeing anything. The Mavericks are a good team and I'll agree with everything Nelson and the Warriors have been saying after last night's game.

Also I agree that Monta (and I'll add Andris too) becomes the next x-factor for the Warriors. But I still say, if Pietrus turns it on and starts knocking down those corner 3's, then the Warriors are going to be looking very nice. And yeah, there is no way the Mavs keep up with this team. The Warriors looked very fast vs. the Mavericks speed.

16. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

Wow. After the regular season ups and downs, this was a gift from the Warriors. Thanks.

I think the Mavs switch to their big lineup and go with Howard on Davis. Baron's too quick for Terry, although Terry did a decent job on Wade (who played out of his mind in the Finals).

The Warriors imposed their pace because they defended and rebounded, something that was lacking at the start and middle of the year. Let's hope it continues (and the Nuggets beat the Spurs.)

17. Legacy

Legacy Beast

Your just like Charles Barkley, Detroit Madness. You can't accept the fact that the Warriors and Mavs match up equally and these Warriors aren't the same players as they were back in January. They have matured alot and become much better. Soon you will have to accept reality and not think of this team as a sub 500 team. [​IMG]

18. Gohn

Gohn JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Your just like Charles Barkley, Detroit Madness. You can't accept the fact that the Warriors and Mavs match up equally and these Warriors aren't the same players as they were back in January. They have matured alot and become much better. Soon you will have to accept reality and not think of this team as a sub 500 team.</div>
    Warriors Suck!

19. umair

umair "Never underestimate the heart of a champion."

I know that Mavs will take Warriors in 5 games, but I hope Warriors win. If Warriors win, they are going to be up against Houston in second round. [​IMG]

20. NewYorkBalla33

NewYorkBalla33 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Gohn Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Warriors Suck!</div>

"Warriors suck" is that all can you say ,describe why they suck, can you tell me who won last night,can you tell me where the warriors won last night. can you tell me who won the last 4 or 5 season games.
    Answer.Warriors, American Airlines Arena, o ya and um WARRIORS.[​IMG]