Playoffs Game 5: Warriors @ Mavericks

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Custodianrules2, May 1, 2007.

1. huevonkiller

huevonkiller Change (Deftones)

Student.
    <div class="quote_poster">custodianrules2 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I know what you mean. It's like a close hockey game... it's so nerve racking seeing the ball whip around so fast and you can't even figure out what's going to happen next because it's just so fast paced and gutsy.

The Warriors kept going back and forth today it was really fun to watch, but at the same time, the ending was a heartbreaker. Terrible warriors shot selection and defensive rotations... But I was expecting a blowout... didn't happen... so.... yeah!

Avery thinks the pressure is on the Warriors, but... what pressure? LOL. We're not expected to win or closeout. We don't have the depth, really, but somehow we won 3... We win either way whether win the series or lose the series. We lose, we fought the good fight and made it pretty far for a team that was the 8th seed and absent from the playoffs for almost 13 years. Playoff experience and depth was a big issue for us, not for Dallas.

If we win, we beat Goliath and get even more respect for being the third or fourth team to defeat a first seed as an 8th seeded team.

Plus, the Warriors are awfully good at home... they are such headcases that they need the home fans to really hype them up to do extroardinary feats... like rebound, play good D, and shoot free throws.</div>

Let's be realistic though, if the Warriors lose you'll feel just like the LA Fans did last year. Taking a team to seven games doesn't satisfy one enough (generally).

Think about it, what have people always hated on T-Mac about? That's getting past the first round. Winning a title is very hard and not realistic, but people will forgive you for that. When any team chokes a 3-1 lead they'll get heavily criticized and it will hurt a GS fan more.

2. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    <div class="quote_poster">custodianrules2 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I know what you mean. It's like a close hockey game... it's so nerve racking seeing the ball whip around so fast and you can't even figure out what's going to happen next because it's just so fast paced and gutsy.

The Warriors kept going back and forth today it was really fun to watch, but at the same time, the ending was a heartbreaker. Terrible warriors shot selection and defensive rotations... But I was expecting a blowout... didn't happen... so.... yeah!

Avery thinks the pressure is on the Warriors, but... what pressure? LOL. We're not expected to win or closeout. We don't have the depth, really, but somehow we won 3... We win either way whether win the series or lose the series. We lose, we fought the good fight and made it pretty far for a team that was the 8th seed and absent from the playoffs for almost 13 years. Playoff experience and depth was a big issue for us, not for Dallas.

If we win, we beat Goliath and get even more respect for being the third or fourth team to defeat a first seed as an 8th seeded team.

Plus, the Warriors are awfully good at home... they are such headcases that they need the home fans to really hype them up to do extroardinary feats... like rebound, play good D, and shoot free throws.</div>

The home crowd will definitely fuel the Warriors, but they got to be ready for a close game, too. Tonight, they shot the ball from outside too fast during crunch time when they could've got it into Baron's or Jax's hands. They need to regroup and talk about when to take it to the rack and when to shoot the rhythm jumper. It looked like they reverted to the Warriors who jack up the 3-ball with too much time remaining.

3. iLL PiLL

iLL PiLL JBB JustBBall Member

I still don't get why Stephen Jackson was ejected for just showing emotion. Its like you can't do anything around the refs anymore and they try to look for excuses to give out Ts. Also if Jackson was ejected how come Jason Terry wasn't ejected for throwing Baron Davis to the ground? All he got was a T..sometimes these things just don't add up for us warriors fans

4. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

<div class="quote_poster">huevonkiller Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Let's be realistic though, if the Warriors lose you'll feel just like the LA Fans did last year. Taking a team to seven games doesn't satisfy one enough (generally).

Think about it, what have people always hated on T-Mac about? That's getting past the first round. Winning a title is very hard and not realistic, but people will forgive you for that. When any team chokes a 3-1 lead they'll get heavily criticized and it will hurt a GS fan more.</div>

But we're not LA, we're the Warriors. We're not supposed to win.

No pressure up 3-1 or down 1-3. If we lose it's a good series, if we win it's a great series. The difference is slight for those realistic about the squad's expectations. We don't have a real good 8 man rotation, but we're hanging in there because we match up well against this particular team. Only this time, we're finding out what works in the playoffs game to game. It's usually Sjax, Barnes, Pietrus, Jrich, and Biedrins stepping up, but Ellis and Harrington have been sort of cold whereas usually they're pretty hot when it comes to scoring.

5. Iron Shiek

Iron Shiek Maintain and Hold It Down

That was a great game to say the least. Golden State could have easily laid down and quit when they were down 21 points in the first half. That is a testament to the character of this team to continue to play hard when it seemed as if they were dead in the water.

I was disappointed that Golden State played not to lose when they were up 9 points. They are not a traditional half court team. They are able to score because they consistently are looking to attack with penetration. When they began to try to double team Baron Davis Golden State should have continued to attack when the ball was reversed -- or at the very least reverse the ball back to Baron so that he would have the ball when the shot clock was winding down. I thought that Golden State stopped being aggressive down the stretch of this game and ultimately that cost them.

I have never thought that Golden State was going to win this series - even when they were up 3-1. The reason why is that you can not expect a team that is playing as hard as Golden State is playing to be able to maintain their physical, mental, and emotional toughness and stamina as this series is extended. Nellie has an 8 man rotation - and two of those players Monta and Biedrins are not really playing significant minutes. That means that you are counting on your two best players Baron and Stephen Jackson to play 40+ minutes of high intensity basketball without breaking down. Baron has very bad knees and Stephen Jackson (yes I feel that SJ is has more of an impact on his team's success than Jason Richardson) is as volatile an athlete as I've ever seen. High energy players like Richardson, Pietrus, Barnes, and Harrington are all capable of having a big night -- but you have to imagine that they are feeling the effects of consistently having to guard out of position. At some point this team is going to start wearing down and I imagine that the Warriors are at that point.

The Warriors were a poor road team all year. I honestly can't imagine them beating the Mavs on their home floor in a Game 7 situation. So in my mind the Warriors Game 7 is tomorrow in Oakland. The role players, in particular Monta Ellis and Al Harrington, are really going to have to play outstanding for them to win Game 6. Baron Davis, Stephen Jackson, and Jason Richardson are the givens - but they can't do it on their own.

6. AnimeFANatic

AnimeFANatic JBB JustBBall Member

I'm probably biased, but is it just me or is the rest of the NBA first round series in general pretty boring? Theres no other series to me that has the excitement, emotions, and adrenaline rush other than this series.

This is what the playoffs are about.

By the way, is Baron Davis freaking great or what? I've always knew he was good and believed in him through the bad days. But WOW, he is the best player in the playoffs no contest.

7. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Agree with you Shiek, GS played not to lose and thats why they lost. You can't run the clock down with over 3 minutes left and hoist up a bad 3 pt shot and expect to win. Completely fell apart down the stretch when we had their backs to the wall.

Avery is a clown saying the pressure is on us though. Hes trying to pull a Don Nelson there and get it in our heads but they're the team that is on the brink of elimination who just gave up a 21 point lead in their home court and was extremely lucky to even win. Now they're going back to Oakland, where the crowd will be insane, they have to win and have been unable to this series. The Warriors on the other hand should have no pressure because they just proved they can take the Mavs' best shot in their home court and still win the game barring a collapse like what happened last night. Even if they do lose no one will blame them because they were big underdogs.

8. yudalicious

yudalicious JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Iron Shiek Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I was disappointed that Golden State played not to lose when they were up 9 points. They are not a traditional half court team. They are able to score because they consistently are looking to attack with penetration. When they began to try to double team Baron Davis Golden State should have continued to attack when the ball was reversed -- or at the very least reverse the ball back to Baron so that he would have the ball when the shot clock was winding down. I thought that Golden State stopped being aggressive down the stretch of this game and ultimately that cost them.
    </div>

I agree completely. In two crucial possessions Dallas got the ball out of BD's hands and GS settled for really bad shots (one was a SJ fadeaway 3 can't remember the other), not initiating an offense until 6 or 7 seconds left on the shot clock, that really allowed Dallas to come back, I really thought they would've wrapped up but those two plays really cost them.

9. Wild Child

Wild Child JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">yudalicious Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I agree completely. In two crucial possessions Dallas got the ball out of BD's hands and GS settled for really bad shots (one was a SJ fadeaway 3 can't remember the other), not initiating an offense until 6 or 7 seconds left on the shot clock, that really allowed Dallas to come back, I really thought they would've wrapped up but those two plays really cost them.</div>

[​IMG]

10. huevonkiller

Student.
    <div class="quote_poster">custodianrules2 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">But we're not LA, we're the Warriors. We're not supposed to win.</div>

You have the Maverick's numbers and you were up 3-1. Yes you should win.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">
    No pressure up 3-1 or down 1-3. If we lose it's a good series, if we win it's a great series. The difference is slight for those realistic about the squad's expectations. We don't have a real good 8 man rotation, but we're hanging in there because we match up well against this particular team. Only this time, we're finding out what works in the playoffs game to game. It's usually Sjax, Barnes, Pietrus, Jrich, and Biedrins stepping up, but Ellis and Harrington have been sort of cold whereas usually they're pretty hot when it comes to scoring.</div>

We don't know who the pressure is on right now. Dirk could be sweating his ass off but so could the Warriors. Losing sucks, but at least the Warriors can finally see that they've got somewhat of a foundation (or great potential) that they can use to form a Championship squad.

11. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

I give the Mavs credit and that's all that needs to be said.

The Warriors played a great game on the road and to take the lead after being down 21 on the road shows that they have the guts and determination to do what it takes to close out the series. The easy thing would have been to lay down on the road and just wait for home. They did not do that.

I still like the Warriors' chances to win 1 of the next 2.

As for the other series, there are usually not any compelling 1st round series. This is a gift.

12. lakerskb24

lakerskb24 JBB JustBBall Member

I hope this series doenst end up like the Lakers-Suns series of last year. Golden State has to finish it in game 6.

13. Detroit Madness

Detroit Madness JBB JustBBall Member

More pressure is on Golden State. This is Dallas 2nd elimination game in a row, Warriors do not want to play game 7 in Dallas.

14. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

It's all good. It's been a great series--some of the best playoff basketball I've ever watched--and either way that won't change. For all the GS fans who said Dirk was out of it, I just kept thinking "c'mon, this guy is awesome." How could you count out Nowitzki, I don't know. Even before last night, he was averaging 20pts 11reb and that was considered a poor showing? Josh Howard has been phenomenal, too, and you have to give credit to the Mavs. Game 4 in Oakland could have gone either way, both teams played well enough to win. Same is true for Game 5 last night.

You have to give credit to GS, too. Whatever people may say about this being a fluke or some special thing GS has over the Mavs, the Warriors are playing tremendous basketball right now, and they would show up with this A game against any team, Mavs or otherwise. They are just surging at the right time, coming together and playing the way Nellie and Mully envisioned. It's no suprise to us, despite the fact the rest of the world is shocked.

But honestly, I have no doubt GS will show up for game 6 and if need be game 7 and bring the noise. They aren't going away. They may not win the series -- Dallas could have two incredible games to close it out -- but the Warriors WILL NOT go away, and it will take a special team to beat them because you can believe they won't beat themselves.

This is what the Playoffs are all about...

<font size=""7"">WARRIORS!!!!</font>

15. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">AlleyOop Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">It's all good. It's been a great series--some of the best playoff basketball I've ever watched--and either way that won't change. For all the GS fans who said Dirk was out of it, I just kept thinking "c'mon, this guy is awesome." How could you count out Nowitzki, I don't know. Even before last night, he was averaging 20pts 11reb and that was considered a poor showing? Josh Howard has been phenomenal, too, and you have to give credit to the Mavs. Game 4 in Oakland could have gone either way, both teams played well enough to win. Same is true for Game 5 last night.

You have to give credit to GS, too. Whatever people may say about this being a fluke or some special thing GS has over the Mavs, the Warriors are playing tremendous basketball right now, and they would show up with this A game against any team, Mavs or otherwise. They are just surging at the right time, coming together and playing the way Nellie and Mully envisioned. It's no suprise to us, despite the fact the rest of the world is shocked.

But honestly, I have no doubt GS will show up for game 6 and if need be game 7 and bring the noise. They aren't going away. They may not win the series -- Dallas could have two incredible games to close it out -- but the Warriors WILL NOT go away, and it will take a special team to beat them because you can believe they won't beat themselves.

This is what the Playoffs are all about...

<font size=""7"">WARRIORS!!!!</font></div>

This is all true. If the Warriors continue to play good basketball, even in two losses, and the Mavericks have to come up with just unbelievable wins like last night to win the series, then it won't be horrible.

However, in my opinion, the difference-maker for the Mavericks is Jerry Stackhouse. The two games in which he has done very well, the Mavericks have won. The Warriors match up well against their top players in Dirk and Terry, and hopefully at sometimes Josh Howard (though Howard's been their best player and frequently unstoppable), but it's when Jerry Stackhouse keeps getting to the FT line where the Warriors lose their matchups and advantages. The Warriors as a team have 7 players who scored 30 points or more in the regular season. Andris Biedrins got his going against the Defensive Player of the Year and the Denver Nuggets (though he did have 7 turnovers). The Warriors are tough to stop when they are playing well. My main worry going into the coming game(s) is that the Mavericks may just now be starting to realize how to beat this team - which is to take down the leader Baron Davis and make the others beat you. But it's OK, the Warriors will just be able to get more open shots with their many scorers to bury the Mavericks anyway.

Also the only time when the Warriors have had pressure on them has been closing out last night's game. Hopefully it will be a lesson learned and the Warriors will get passed it again if a similar situation arrises in this series. There is no way that the Warriors are going to fall from being under too much pressure when playing at home.

16. AnimeFANatic

AnimeFANatic JBB JustBBall Member

Know whats also great about this series? Warriors will be scheduled on national television more in the next regular season now that everyone knows how exciting they are. And those national TV spots are always with teams that have something against each other. Mavs vs Warriors baby!

17. huevonkiller

Student.
    <div class="quote_poster">Clif25 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">

However, in my opinion, the difference-maker for the Mavericks is Jerry Stackhouse. The two games in which he has done very well, the Mavericks have won. The Warriors match up well against their top players in Dirk and Terry, and hopefully at sometimes Josh Howard (though Howard's been their best player and frequently unstoppable), but it's when Jerry Stackhouse keeps getting to the FT line where the Warriors lose their matchups and advantages. The Warriors as a team have 7 players who scored 30 points or more in the regular season. Andris Biedrins got his going against the Defensive Player of the Year and the Denver Nuggets (though he did have 7 turnovers). The Warriors are tough to stop when they are playing well. My main worry going into the coming game(s) is that the Mavericks may just now be starting to realize how to beat this team - which is to take down the leader Baron Davis and make the others beat you. But it's OK, the Warriors will just be able to get more open shots with their many scorers to bury the Mavericks anyway.
    </div>

Stackhouse didn't play that well last night. The real difference-maker is Dirk, if he plays like he's supposed to then the Mavs should indeed win.

18. umair

umair "Never underestimate the heart of a champion."

If Warriors lose game 6 at home, Mavs will win the series. There is no way Mavericks are going to lose at home in game 7.

Lets go Warriors, win game 6!! And then lose to Houston in 2nd round!

19. RipCity

RipCity JBB JustBBall Member

I can't beleive with 3-4 minutes left in the 4th they slowed down and tried to run the clock. It's so obvious that was has worked this entire series is Baron penetrating early in the shot clock and either getting a layup or dishing out to an open shooter...Why slow it down when your trying to lock the game up?

And seriously, what the hell is wrong with the refs? Jason Terry blatantly threw Baron to the floor. It's basicly the same situation that happened last year when he kicked that guy in the nuts, the Mavs were getting their asses kicked and he couldn't control himself. What blows my mind is that there was a Ref standing literally two feet away, there is absolutely no way he missed what happened. When SJax got ejected and took forever to leave, David Stern was quoted saying that his previous track record didn't factor into the fine, but that the "next one will" So that being said, JT has just as bad a track record as SJax does, sure he didn't hit a fan, but he kicked someone in the nuts at halfcourt in a nationally televised game, so why isn't he suspended for the rest of the season? [​IMG]

20. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">huevonkiller Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Stackhouse didn't play that well last night. The real difference-maker, if he plays like he's supposed to then the Mavs should indeed win.</div>

I suppose Dirk can be a difference-maker but everybody already knows what Dirk is going to contribute with his shooting. Dirk's block on Barnes was good, I can't deny that. But otherwise Jrich should have chewed Dirk up after he went flying passed JRich on the pump-fake, and I didn't see a foul when Barnes came back and blocked Dirk - I saw more of a foul on Dirk on JRich's 3 point attempt. You are right that Stackhouse didn't play that well last night. I should have mentioned Devin Harris with Stackhouse being big in the second half. Stackhouse I recall had some big shots in the 3rd and then Devin Harris countered it with easy penetration to the hoop.

However Jerry Stackhouse's ability to get to the FT line can give the Warriors some trouble, like Corey Maggette has to the Warriors (especially when the refs make anticipation calls rather than calls on what happens in the play).