Game Thread PLAYOFFS: ROUND 1, GAME 1: PELICANS @ BLAZERS - APRIL 14, 2018, SATURDAY, 7:30 PM PDT, ESPN & NBCSNW

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Darkwebs, Apr 13, 2018.

?

How do you see the series playing out?

Poll closed Apr 14, 2018.
  1. Blazers in 4

5.9%
  2. Blazers in 5

26.5%
  3. Blazers in 6

52.9%
  4. Blazers in 7

8.8%
  5. Pelicans in 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Pelicans in 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Pelicans in 6

1.5%
  8. Pelicans in 7

4.4%
  1. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    You gotta like a post like that.

DDolla and SlyPokerDog like this.
  2. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    I hate going by myself. I now drag my wife kicking and screaming along just so I won't have to go alone. It also gives me someone to talk about the game and the strengths and weaknesses of the players. I don't even mind if I turn my head and see that she's not even there, maybe in the bathroom (take it from me, women love that place). So, I was just talking to the air and the guy within earshot with the puzzled look on his face, like "Who the hell is he talking to?"

Darkwebs, rotary111, dviss1 and 2 others like this.
  3. -Ace-

-Ace- Mostly lurking

Sometimes they have cool stuff going on outside before the game....I wonder if that's the case this year. I usually try to check it out.

BonesJones likes this.
  4. SIeepwalker

SIeepwalker The lone sane poster

You're gonna make some ennemies, riverman

riverman and Eastoff like this.
  5. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    GameDay!! Woke up at 5:00 a.m. like it was Christmas morning. Blazers....do your thing! :hoops:

6. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Playoffs 1st round series Game 1

Blazers vs Pelicans

Going to try to give it a positive spin but the Blazers have their work cut out for them. In no way is this series going to be as easy as a few of the "Experts"are saying. There are a few that are being a bit more realistic and giving this series to the Blazers in 7 or 6 games. Myself i'm looking at this series going 7 games. Since Alvin Gentry has placed Mirotic into the starting lineup the Pels have become very tough to guard. Teams already have to deal with who is possibly the most dominant big in the game in Anthony Davis and not forget about covering Jrue Holiday but they will also have to keep someone on Morotic who will be looking for open looks constantly. There is something to be said for the way Rondo distributes the ball. He is crafty and he plays with a chip on his shoulder. The way i see it is Rondo might be the most over looked portion of this match up. Not only is he experienced but he knows exactly how to take his game to the next level for "Playoff" basketball.

There has been a bunch of discussion this last couple weeks when Lillard was out with a sprained ankle. Most of that discussion was focused on our backup players at the guard position. Bazz and Pat got much of the minutes but Baldwin was given some opportunity to show he can indeed play in this league. The way i see this is Wade Baldwin should in fact get an opportunity to show his talent again if there is any problem at all containing Rondo. Baldwin has the size and length to hold Rondo in check. The advantage Rondo has over other guards is that huge wingspan being 6'-1 with a 7'-0 wingspan has it's advantages. Baldwin matches well at 6-4 and what is listed as a 6'-9 to 6'-10 wingspan. Here is to hoping Stotts can get a matchup that works on Rondo. He does have a number of ways to go here. Bazz is quick and crafty. Pat is the guy that will work relentlessly. Baldwin will frustrate anyone with his tenacity and length. I say just beat the crap out of Rondo and use as many fouls on the guy that you can that his free throw shooting makes Gentry wish he had a better option. This year Rondo is shooting 54% from the line. Abuse him! Not only that but we all know he has a hair trigger for his emotional balance.

Never before has it been more obvious that the Blazers are pretty much unbeatable when their wings can hit a shot. This series will come down to Aminu and Harkless (If he can get back), Turner and to an extent Pat Con. Those four players have got to make shots. We all watched in total amazement as the Blazers beat team after team when Harkless and Aminu dropped 3-6 or 4-7 from 3 point. Then we all watched in complete horror every time Aminu clanked another bomb or missed the backboard altogether. How can a guy miss so badly three times in a row my friends would say...Scratching their head????? Even my dog started covering his eyes when Aminu gets left all alone out there on the three point line as defenses sag and block all passing options clogging the lane in case he decides to drive. This is and has been the book on the Blazers now for two years. LET AMINU SHOOT THE BALL! There is only one answer to this problem at this point. Aminu and Turner have got to make defenses pay. Simple as that.

Nurkic....Jusuf Jusuf Jusuf. I love this guy. I really do. But i hope he gets Smacked in the face in the first 2 mins of every game this team plays. When he gets pissed off there is no stopping him. Somebody somewhere on the Pelicans needs to get in Nurks face often and early in every game. That would really help on every level of his game. I'm not as worried about the fouls now that the Blazers have Davis back in the lineup. None of us want to see Leonard out there trying to guard AD. I actually think Collins might be the answer to guarding Anthony Davis a bit at times because of his mobility. But there is no question The Blazers have a big problem on their hands.

We all know what Dame and CJ can bring. We all know those two will have to carry a bunch of the scoring load. But they need help against this team. They also need quality stops on defense that can create easy looks in transition. The extra possessions will be key in this series. Defense wins in the playoffs. The Blazers have shown this year they can play defense. Lillard and CJ will benefit the most from solid defensive play and easier looks on the offensive side that come from stops rebounding and steals.

Blazers need to come out strong and take care of business in game one.

Go Blazers!
    Kjironman is a fan!!!

7. Jon

Jon mr. 300

What jerseys are they wearing tonight?

8. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

If you woke up at 5am, I'd give you a 50/50 chance you'll be asleep by half.

9. Titan

Titan Well-Known Member

So pumped, it's game day. Go Blazers, RIP City!!!
    [​IMG]

10. SportsAndWhine

SportsAndWhine Dumbass For Hire

Needs more gifs:

[​IMG]

Darkwebs, Strenuus and Chris Craig like this.
  11. SportsAndWhine

SportsAndWhine Dumbass For Hire

Better not be red lol

12. riverman

riverman Writing Team

borat.jpg

Chris Craig and Wizard Mentor like this.
  13. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    I'm excited and nervous. We SHOULD win, but it seems like every time that happens, we lose.

I'm worried about CJ, seems like he's been inconsistent lately.

I'm worried that Pat's shooting woes will continue.

Nervous about Aminu's shooting the 3, which is what the other teams will be gameplanning for.

Excited to see the Nurk/Dame pick-n-roll in the playoffs.

PtldPlatypus likes this.
  14. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

KJ
    Nice take on the series.
    Im hoping the guys on the bubble (uncertainty about being back) have decent series because I agree, its going to be tough for Dame & CJ to do it themselves.
    Rip City

kjironman1 likes this.
  15. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Funkee Human Being

Software Engineer
    Hit Machine will be out front performing from 4-7. They are usually pretty fun to see.

riverman likes this.
  16. rotary111

rotary111 Well-Known Member

Real Estate.
    What's the Pels game plan for us? :dunno:

Let Dame get his and shut down everyone else :biglaugh:or slow him down and shut down the rest. :smiley-crazy:

Either plan will fail btw.

My guess is with their size they try and slow down Dame and let the rest fire away.:smiley-trophy:

17. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Hope it's the Purple and Gold.....

rotary111 likes this.
  18. SIeepwalker

SIeepwalker The lone sane poster

4:30am start, gonna be a long night...

19. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    This is like Christmas for me too.

20. KingSpeed