Game Thread PLAYOFFS: ROUND 1, GAME 2: THUNDER @ BLAZERS - APRIL 16, 2019, TUESDAY, 7:30 PM, TNT & NBCSNW

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Darkwebs, Apr 14, 2019.

?

Just before the Playoffs began, whom did you want Portland to play in the 1st Round?

Poll closed Apr 16, 2019.
  1. Utah

27.5%
  2. Oklahoma City

26.1%
  3. I didn't have a preference between these 2 teams

46.4%
  1. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Here's a blast from the past (@TBpup has a few comments in that thread)

Wish we had worked out Giannis.

2. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    My buddy D69 was so high on Gobert. Had him in his Top 3 the year he as drafted. Really liked Steven Adams as well. He has been a wealth of Draft knowledge over the years and picked guys like Giannis WAY ahead of where they actually went in the Draft. He was also one of the few who wanted Durant over Oden. He is who convinced me to hold the Durant sign at the Blazers Draft party.

Thanks D for making me look good. That was all you. :cheers:

3. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

There was a play in the 4th quarter of last game where Zach did not know the play at all and you could hear Stotts's screaming "ZACH ZACH, GO" on the sidelines while CJ dribbled the ball at halfcourt for like 10 seconds. They blew the possession and on the next one and Stotts immediately yanked Zach for Meyers.

Imagine getting pulled for Meyers because you can't remember the plays. I don't think he actually played that bad overall last night, he had some good possessions. But with Nurk out you certainly expect a little bit more out of last years lottery pick...

4. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

Not true. The Blazers run 3 guys in the paint when George and Westbrook penetrate. They are defending by committee. Sure Kanter isn't a good rim protector, but when Mo and Chief are also down their with their long arms it's not always easy to get a shot up. Blazers are forcing the kickout and basically asking Grant, Ferguson etc. to beat us with open 3s and they're blowing it. It's kind of similar to how teams just leave Harkless and Aminu open all game but Dame and CJ have found other ways to score the ball.

Eastoff, Darkwebs and dviss1 like this.
  5. illmatic99

They're not attacking nearly as enough as they should. If they get our wings into foul trouble early, they'll start getting straight drives to the rim. The pull up/step back outside shots are just giving us a massive advantage.

6. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

I'm watching the whole game and George had some nice drives in the first half but literally someone always comes over when George starts penetrating. They play tight to take away George's 3s and force him to attack, then force the pass outs. They're doubling on every drive and while you can theoretically power through and try to score on all those possessions it really takes a toll to do it every possession. Like Dame can attack double teams and score on them but through the course of a game he doesn't because it's just not realistic.

He can beat the first defender every time because of how tight they're playing him but when two guys come over the right play is to pass it and not force up shorts.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    BBert, Eastoff, Darkwebs and 3 others like this.
  7. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Explains the one frustration I had with how the Blazers were using (or not using) Collins. He scored a couple times with nice moves down low, and I thought to myself, "Why don't they feed Zach down low and let him go to work in the post a little." Immediately after he came out, they gave Kanter a post touch (which he missed), and I thought to myself, "Would've been nice to try that with Zach".

But if he doesn't actually know the playbook the way he should, then it would make sense that he's not getting possessions.

8. illmatic99

I need to re-watch tonight when I get home. Is Terry actually coaching a specialized defense? He's outcoaching Donovan.

BonesJones, Eastoff and Reep like this.
  9. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

Harkless is always trailing George on the PnR while someone helps on the weak side and Kanter or whoever drops in the paint. They're game planning HARD for PG. They are mostly playing Russ straight up. Once PG is in the paint there are 3 guys around him.

It's the right move though, George is definitely the one that killed us in the regular season. Also, he says he's healthy, but maybe he's just not. He's kind avoiding contact but we're missing Nurk and at least George is playing.

Also there were a few possessions where Hark and Aminu played him straight up and just picked his pocket. So maybe they're in his head.

BBert and dviss1 like this.
  10. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

I don't think Zach is actually good in the paint. I hold my breath when he gets catches in the paint. Easily pushed around and Stotts has been trying to match him up with Noel instead of Adams.

He's definitely not posting up Adams I don't care what anyone says.

11. PtldPlatypus

Nah, I wasn't talking about against Adams. That would be embarrassing. I think he was actually matched up against Morris at that point.

Either way, he wasn't getting those touches. It's clear nobody trusts him to work down low. He's gonna have to earn that, and he hasn't yet.

I'm looking forward to (hopefully) seeing him and Skal as a frontcourt pairing next year. I think if they work together and develop some chemistry, they could be a very exciting and effective duo.

BonesJones likes this.
  12. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

There are two things here - Zach's footwork in the paint is fantastic. He definitely is not as strong as the older, bigger guys - but to say that he is not good in the post is just wrong. If you look at his EFG% from 10 ft and under - he is at 60%, EK is at 59.1 - the kid can score down there, or at least, he does not try to if it is not a good shot. (BTW, both are actually better than Nurk near the basket).

13. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I think Adams is Rolo….same game

Darkwebs and Pinwheel1 like this.
  14. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

It was sad to see him spend the first 15 seconds of the shot clock with his hands out in the, "what am I supposed to be doing" position. You would think he would know by know.....go set a pick for Dame or CJ. Not rocket science.

BonesJones and Cugel like this.
  15. riverman

riverman Writing Team

He needs to keep the ball higher in the post on catches so guys like Paul George don't just take it out of his hands...he gets loose holding the ball too low sometimes

BonesJones and PtldPlatypus like this.
  16. illmatic99

Gary Payton in that right corner is not impressed.

Eastoff likes this.
  17. PtldPlatypus

Has someone photoshopped his scowl onto Mckayla Maroney's body yet (or vice versa)? Seems like something the internet would be all over.

18. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Good comparison. Both great at setting picks and blocking the other teams big man out, which increases the rebounds for their teammates.
    Neither a big time shot blocker but both good at taking up lots of space around the rim.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    Darkwebs, 42N8Bounce and riverman like this.
  19. Cugel

Cugel The epitome of mediocrity

Canvas Repairman
    Anyone have a link to a recent update on Kanter's health? All I heard on Sirius NBA is basically that Blazers suck now that Kanter is hurt.

20. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Yes Please.

[​IMG]