Game Thread PLAYOFFS: ROUND 1, GAME 3: GRIZZLIES @ BLAZERS - 4/25/15, SATURDAY, 7:30 PM (PST), ESPN & KGW

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Darkwebs, Apr 25, 2015.

?

Do you still believe the Blazers will come back to win the series?

Poll closed Apr 25, 2015.
  1. Absolutley

36.4%
  2. Maybe

36.4%
  3. No realistic chance

27.3%
  1. Darkwebs

Darkwebs Awakened to emptiness Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

VS

[​IMG]

------------------------------------------------------

WHEN: 7:30 PM, SATURDAY, 4/25/2015

WHERE: Moda Center, Portland, OR
    [​IMG]

TV BROADCAST:
    [​IMG]
    AND
    [​IMG]

RADIO BROADCAST:
    [​IMG]

------------------------------------------------------

--------------BENCH--------------
    MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][
    UDRIH , CALATHES , ADAMS , CARTER
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    GREEN , GREEN , LEUER , KOUFOS

PORTLAND TRAIL BLAZERS
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    BLAKE , FRAZIER , McCOLLUM , CRABBE
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    GEE , FREELAND , LEONARD , KAMAN

INJURIES
    GRIZZLIES
    Beno Udrih (right ankle sprain): QUESTIONABLE
    TRAIL BLAZERS
    Arron Afflalo (strained right shoulder): PROBABLE
    Chris Kaman (left ankle sprain): QUESTIONABLE
    Dorell Wright (fractured left hand): OUT
    Wesley Matthews (ruptured left Achilles’ tendon): OUT

HEAD COACHES
    [​IMG] - VS – [​IMG]
    DAVID JOERGER --- TERRY STOTTS

PREVIOUS MEETINGS IN THE SERIES
    GAME #1: Loss 86-100

GAME #2: Loss 82-97

:reading:BLAZERS' OFFICIAL GAME NOTES
    :reading:GRIZZLIES' OFFICIAL GAME NOTES

BUNTA and riverman like this.
  2. rasheedfan2005

rasheedfan2005 Well-Known Member

All year the blazers theme has been to go down early and fight back. Why should we expect a playoff series be different? Now with their backs to the wall, the blazers can play blazer basketball. I expect the team to come out with the pressure lifted. No one expects a comeback, and that is when we are most dangerous. And what better stage than in front of the hungry and rabbid fans of rip city? Lets win game 3. And lets win game 4. Then lets steal one away and go for the jugular in the comforts of home.

#uprise

Darkwebs and dreamcloud like this.
  3. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Blazers vs Grizzlies Game 3 Preview

The Blazers are back in town and there is no better time for some "Home Cookin". I try to stay away from making absolute statements but this game is as close to a "Must Win" as you can get. Losing and going down 0-3 would be very close to an insurmountable task to come back from. Winning however could light a spark and ignite a fan base questioning all things "Blazers" at this point. I can't help but feel that the Media has taken a few unnecessary shots at the team but i guess that is just the nature of journalism today. These are professional athletes and they have to be able to take the heat.

Lets start with the daunting elements of this game. The Blazers have been smothered offensively. The Grizz are playing the very type of Basketball that playoff teams need to play and be successful. They have blanketed Lillard and have created havoc with CJ and AC. They have kept Batum from getting the type of looks he is used to seeing and for the most part have even put enough pressure on Aldridge to keep him from taking the game over. Memphis is also creating just enough turmoil to get some easy looks on offense and expose some of the defensive deficiencies the Blazers have while relying on their 3rd and 4th string to plug a giant hole left by Matthews. Losing Kaman for game 2 also left a hole where the Blazers had a little light in game 1. All things being told the Blazers have had a couple horrific shooting nights from players that absolutely need to score for the offense to work. You can give the credit to the Grizzlies all you want but in the end there have been an awful lot of High Percentage shots that just did not fall. On the other side i watched just way too many "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?" shots fall for the Grizz. I have to believe the shots will start to fall for the Blazers at some point, and we will not see Tony Allen hit another one legged 20ft fall away jumper in this entire series.

I asked Quick a question yesterday on his open chat about the probability of Arron Afflalo playing and he said "Without a doubt he is playing". The verdict is still out on AAA but i am not really sure why? This guy has embraced stepping into what might be the toughest job in the entire NBA at this point. Think about it? He is expected to do what Wes has done for a team that obviously needs it more than anyone, anywhere even imagined. All the while he must perform for what is considered the MOST critical and RABID fan base in the entire NBA. My suggestion is the Fans should embrace this guy tonight like only they are capable. The very same fire that everyone will show to Matthews when he most certainly will take a bow tonight should be rained down on the Grizz every time Afflalo does something on the court. If this guy feels it tonight then the Blazers chances just got a whole lot better.

The other player coming back will be Chris Kaman. People might not realize it but Kaman's contribution to this team cannot be overlooked. Not only has he mentored Leonard to the point of solid rotational player but he has also anchored the second unit fighting through the same injury LA has on his shooting hand. For all his faults Chris Kaman has made this season for stretches and filled in exactly where this team has needed him. Again the crowd should make him feel the power of being a Blazer in the playoffs. I am looking for a return of early season Steve Blake as soon as Kaman is on the court with him. Steve has had some rough patches just like Lillard in the first two games.

I watched a few wrinkles in game two that worked as well as any. The center picks that Lopez set that opened the lane down the middle were very effective. Again the shots didn't fall but i would expect to see this again. Personally i would exploit this until they figured out a way to stop it. If they collapse on the shooter there will be a wide open look for either Aldridge or Batum if they continue to play it the way they have Lillard could score 40+ and Afflalo will torch them for another 30. For some reason CJ just could not make that shot stick and Dame quit trying to exploit it. I also watched Leonard get open looks over and over and the Grizz still are daring him to shoot. I don't like putting a bunch of faith in Lopez scoring but he is being left wide open for the elbow jumper. Mid range i know....But sometimes you have to take what they give you and make them pay.

The Blazers Defense is the key tonight IMO. Forget about the offensive problems and hammer these guys on defense. I don't really care if it is a 60-60 game at the end. Do everything you can to stop them from scoring. I would love to see a few different looks. Trap and even press these guys to see what they will do. Do not let Conely get any rest. Do not let him walk the ball up at all. I did like going around the pick. Dame is faster getting back to a defensive stance when he goes around. It leaves Conely open for a second behind the pick but he will shoot it. I personally want him shooting that three instead of getting open in the lane. Aldridge has done a masterful job on Zbo. What can you say there? The addition of Afflalo will if nothing else make the Blazers deeper at the SG position. Makes me feel more like the first unit will be better but the second unit just got a whole lot better.

My Pick tonight is Nicolas Batum. Absolutely without a doubt Nic could be the difference in this game. If Nic is aggressive they have nobody to stop him. The addition of Afflalo i am hoping creates just enough opening for Nic to beat them. It also lets him play on Allen instead of Lee. When i think about it the Blazers will be deeper and the way Stotts works his rotations Batum should have many advantages now.

Go Blazers!
    Kjironman is a fan!!!

4. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    The Blazers will absolutely win tonight. Book it.

5. kjironman1

The Question on the Poll reads "Do you believe the Blazers CAN come back..."
    Of course they can. If the Poll question read WILL? Then i could see saying maybe, or even not realistic. Beings it says can they come back there should really be only one response in my book.

Darkwebs likes this.
  6. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

*Stomp stomp clap, stomp stomp clap, stomp stomp clap*

kjironman1 likes this.
  7. TheMadHatter

TheMadHatter Member

Meh we'll see

8. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Must win this game! Hope the home crowd brings the roof down on those suckers tonight! It's time for the shots to start falling!

Darkwebs likes this.
  9. Darkwebs

Darkwebs Awakened to emptiness Staff Member Moderator

Okay, I've edited it.

kjironman1 likes this.
  10. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

11. kjironman1

That's great but i still am going with ABSOLUTELY!:irock:

Darkwebs likes this.
  12. BlazerBeav

BlazerBeav Well-Known Member

There is no way that Portland is losing to Memphis in Rip City in the playoffs. The very idea is insulting.

magnifier661 likes this.
  13. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    We need an old fashion beat down to turn the tide. I don't want us to barely win. I want us to completely smash them

14. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

This can NOT be happening.

Scott Foster is one of the refs tonight.

15. riverman

riverman Writing Team

crappola, that's at least 12 points for the bad guys

16. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

SO, to top it off, here's the referees for tonight:

Scott Foster, Bill Kennedy, Mark Ayotte.

*sigh*

17. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Should I bring a Le Markus Aldrich sign to the game today?

18. magnifier661

19. magnifier661

I would rather you bring "QuickIsADick"

20. MAS RipCity

MAS RipCity Mercy, Mercy

Just win, baby. I don't care if it's ugly or pretty, just find a fucking way to scrap out a victory. All it takes is one win to turn the tide.

kjironman1 likes this.