Game Thread PLAYOFFS: ROUND 1, GAME 4: WARRIORS @ BLAZERS - 4/24/17, MONDAY, 7:30 PM (PDT), KGW & TNT

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Darkwebs, Apr 23, 2017.

?

If the Blazers are eliminated, how much NBA Playoffs will you continue to watch?

Poll closed May 31, 2017.
  1. More than now

1.7%
  2. Less than now

20.7%
  3. About the same amount as right now.

31.0%
  4. Maybe just the Finals

22.4%
  5. No more. I will stop watching the Playoffs

10.3%
  6. None. I WASN'T watching any of the other series anyway.

13.8%
  1. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

No it doesn't. We are 2 months from a draft in which we have 3 picks. NO and his staff have been scouting for a full year and have been preparing for this event. Firing him now would leave us woefully underprepared and rudderless-- we can't afford to throw away this draft. We HAVE to hit big on at least one of these picks if we want any hope moving forward.

Not to mention, Orlando will scoop him right up and take all his scouting info within an instant.

You don't change executives without a viable replacement in mind, and especially not right before something this important like a draft.

2. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    I probably wouldn't fire Olshey just yet. If they get off to a slow start next season I would jettison both Olshey and Stotts immediately though. It's all about our 3 draft picks and me having a good time in Vegas this summer!

RipCityDSCPL and Jade Falcon like this.
  3. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

Good thing you're not at the helm.

4. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    What? You don't want to win?

5. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

Yea, that's it.

6. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    But
    1. Replacing Olshey doesn't mean replacing his staff.
    2. Olshey might be ignoring his staff to "follow his gut"
    3. GMs "prepare" for years and end up drafting Meyers Leonard.
    4. Who says we're keeping the picks?

7. illmatic99

So you want to fire Olshey, but not his staff? What's the point of firing him anyway? NO has been a good identifier of talent. Misses like Leonard pale in comparison to the hits he had with Dame/CJ. He's an arrogant prick who makes dumb FA decisions, but I like him for the draft. Whether or not we keep the picks is not really the issue: I'd rather we be organized and execute a plan (good or bad), than act like chickens with our heads cut off during such a crucial time.

8. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    I think the Nurkic deal bought Olshey a little extra time. However, if the off-season doesn't show any meaningful progress towards a better team and the Blazers don't look that good next season, I'd be fine with replacing him. Assuming, as always, that they have someone decent lined up as a replacement. I've never been big on symbolic firings that have no planned follow-up.

riverman, Nikolokolus and illmatic99 like this.
  9. stampedehero

stampedehero Make Your Day, a Doobies Day Staff Member Moderator

Part Time Building Inspector
    MM See Neil does need glasses. 2018 team

10. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    Firing NO would be a mistake of massive proportions.

He's made MAX contract offers to the elite FAs but they won't come here. He's had to play moneyball and he's brilliant at it.

The problem with moneyball is that you win more than expected, but fall short of championships.

He was named GM in June of 2012.

In the 2012 draft, he picked Dame.
    In the 2013 draft, he got us CJ.

That's the cornerstones of our franchise.

Not all his picks and trades were perfect, but nobody's perfect.

He's about to start year 3 of a major rebuilding process. The entire starting lineup, aside from Dame, left the team with LMA. In year 1, we made 2nd round of the playoffs and gave the warriors a run for their money. In year 2, we had injuries and we performed to expectations.

He's set us up for year 3 with Nurk and 3 1st round picks, and tradable players at a variety of salaries for CBA purposes. He planted a seed in the Vonleh acquisition, and that is finally growing to fruition.

We need a better bench and starting SF. The man is no fool and it will be addressed.

After year 5 and we're underperforming, I think the discussion about his job might be appropriate.

Darkwebs, riverman and illmatic99 like this.
  11. Trackjack

Trackjack Well-Known Member

Every GM has miss on players but what I see of Olshey he doesn't move on from that player when he misses such as ML.

TBpup likes this.
  12. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    Leonard has been shifted from C to PF and he's not taken to it immediately. After 2014-15, NO hoped he'd become our starting PF, just as he hoped CJ would become our starting SG. His performance has taken a noticeable decline since moving to PF. Is two seasons at the position enough?

Until he was hurt in 15-16, he was doing pretty good, no? I'd love to have a PF who scores 13.9, grabs 8.5 boards, 2.5 assists, and shoots .377 from 3pt.

upload_2017-4-25_8-30-6.png

13. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    Not in the least. This team needed the best talent they could add via the Lottery much more than an ass-whoppin and 4 game sweep. Nothing accomplished. I disagree with those who think they got something out of the Playoff experience. If that was true, they would have started this season differently after going through 2 playoff series last year. It didn't mean a thing. This year's sweep just means they weren't anywhere near GS's class.....which we already knew.

I too hope they truly understand that. It was a nice run with Nurkic but this isn't the first time he has been injured and even when healthy, there is no way he can cover up all the flaws to make them a legit contender.

As for NeO, many people will tell you that Dame was the organization's pick before he got here. Even so, he gets credit for Dame, it gets cancelled out by Leonard. He got CJ but passed on Giannis.....who D69 was preaching the praises of from well before the Draft. I'm still not positive to smallish, ball dominant guards who don't play defense is the recipe for contender status.

blue9 and Nikolokolus like this.
  14. illmatic99

You'd rather have the 13th pick and an earlier vacation instead of the 15th pick and 4 playoff games. smh. Big fucking deal. 2 pick difference doesn't matter when you have 2 more picks later down in the first round.

And don't tell that we would have gotten lower than 13. Look at the final standings. Short of blatantly sitting out Dame/CJ/Nurk when healthy, we wouldn't have landed a better pick.

15. santeesioux

santeesioux Just keep on scrolling by

Trolling the internet
    Yes.

16. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    I'd rather have the 8-10 pick where they were for the majority of the year. The 'Nurkic Run' managed to scrape them into the Playoffs fighting off mighty teams like Denver, Sac-o-crap and Minnesota...big deal. Without that one brief run provided by one player, this team was a middle of the Lottery team with the reast of their roster.

Nikolokolus likes this.
  17. illmatic99

But we have that one player. That's the whole point. We have a major difference maker, and he already made a HUGE difference.

Denny Crane likes this.
  18. illmatic99

Ridiculous.

Denny Crane likes this.
  19. RipCityDSCPL

RipCityDSCPL Could be worse, at least it's not Lonzo.

The fact that he agreed with the idiot experts, who seriously thought the Lakers would be a better team then the Blazers that year was more than enough reason for everyone dump on @HCP for his 23 wins prediction. But he was cool with all the jokes about his #23 wins so it's a moot point. :smiley-treptrep:

Dame by himself is better then that entire Lakers team that season and it is for that reason alone he should have realized how 'realistic' that prediction was and that the experts didn't know what the fuck they were talking about when it came to Dame and the Blazers.

20. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

I've can understand wanting to make the playoffs. You don't feel how a pick 2 higher than what we have isn't as important as getting swept like we just did. What do you think we gained form this experience. I have a feeling in 8 weeks you and a lot on here will wish we had that 13th pick.

Nikolokolus likes this.