Politics Please say rock bottom is getting close

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by calvin natt, Apr 5, 2022.

1. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

UncleCliffy'sDaddy We're all Bozos on this bus.

Not sure where you got that take, as it has absolutely nothing to do with "neoliberal ideology" and everything to do with complying with federal law. Weird that folks are condemning a president who actually obeys the law as opposed to praising a former president for violating it........just sayin'.......

Last edited: Oct 6, 2023
    riverman and SlyPokerDog like this.
  2. twobullz

twobullz Well-Known Member

Phatguysrule likes this.
  3. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

The Telltale Heart now being banned. Too gruesome for teens. Who love gruesome.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  4. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

5. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

Leave me alone if all you know how to do is throw insults at the wall I assure you, I am immune.

riverman likes this.
  6. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

Not bullshit. GAO-16-464SP, Principles of Federal Appropriations Law. It's the law.

crandc likes this.
  7. jonnyboy

jonnyboy Well-Known Member

He can obey the law all he wants, that is great. It becomes hypocritical however when he previously said “Not another foot of border wall will be constructed under my administration” (direct quote) then, along with the entire leftist establishment, proceeded to use the border wall as ammo to call people racist. They are putting their foot in their mouth and it’s a bad look. Every claim they made now gets turned back on them quite easily. The immigrants finally showed up in places and in numbers where it inconveniences Democratic leaders now they want to change their tune. That is what this is. They no longer get to make border towns deal with it out of sight out of mind, it’s on their doorstep and they don’t like it.

8. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

I guess you’re correct from the conservative viewpoint but the law is the law. At least they are obeying it. And come election time the fact that that section of wall was built will matter more to conservatives than to liberals. Might even buy Joe a few unexpected votes just for being lawful….

jonnyboy likes this.
  9. riverman

riverman Writing Team

You realize adults have talked and speculated about politics and topics of controversy for centuries without internet links right? I can tell you all about my experiences and travels but there was no internet to trot out as evidence back then. You don't have to believe anyone's speculation or personal views if you don't want to...choices No need to insult anyone over it.

jonnyboy likes this.
  10. Phatguysrule

I'm not seeing where it says the President is bound to waive dozens of federal laws in order to expedite the will of congress.

Can somebody point that part out?

11. andalusian

I am not sure exactly where the thing is in the regulations, but I had access to multiple companies that worked as Government contractors that explained that this is how it works.

The house's own web site defines it as follows (cliff notes, basically):

"An appropriation allows the agency to incur obligations and to make payments from the U.S. Treasury for specified purposes. Appropriations are definite (a specific sum of money) or indefinite (an amount for "such sums as may be necessary").

https://www.house.gov/the-house-explained/open-government/statement-of-disbursements/glossary-of-terms#:~:text=Appropriation: A law of Congress,as may be necessary").

I believe that in this bill case this was a specified purpose (thus the bolded part) - which means that the government had to, by law, use it for this purpose.

Again, if anyone really wants to scour the specifics - you are welcome to it, but that is what I heard many times before when discussions of government contracts (both at the state and federal levels) came - is that there are very specific parameters of how money can be appropriated and you can not change it even if the subject experts disagree with it being the smartest, most efficient way of using that money (*).

(*) Often, as you can imagine, agencies / contractors will use that money even if it is not the most efficient way to do it because it is a "use it or lose it" situation.

12. jonnyboy

See, this is where I’m at. If someone wants to state an opinion, or even something they think is fact, then they are completely entitled to throw it out their citations or not. If somebody else takes issue with it, it’s perfectly acceptable for that person to then present whatever they can dig up to prove it wrong.
    I get annoyed when someone in an armchair demands I lay facts at their feet or else everything I said is negated. It just seems lazy, argue your point if you feel you must, don’t expect your opponent to do it for you.
    I’m not accusing Road Ratt of that btw just going off on a tangent. I ran into this a lot with another poster who’s since disappeared off my radar.

13. jonnyboy

You’d think somewhere in the liberal discourse you find some opposition to this move by Biden. After all, there did seem to be a strong anti-wall consensus pretty much across the board on the liberal side. Like enough consensus to call other people racists over it. Where are the anti-wall people now? Are you still out there? Or does everyone just jump to defend power when the policies flip flop? Where’s people’s principles on this one? Not trying to call people out but genuinely curious what liberals think and how this move is defended, if it is.

Road Ratt likes this.
  14. Phatguysrule

Thanks for the explanation. I appreciate your thoughtful response.

I understand that the money can't be used for something else. And even that it must be spent. I don't see the mechanism that forces Biden to waive other federal laws to expedite the process though.

This comes off as the executive branch being incredibly dishonest, incredibly weak, or incredibly limited intellectually. As well as incredibly out of touch.

15. andalusian

Maybe. I honestly do not know enough to know what federal laws were waived or if there is an order of operations one can or can not work, but the appropriations item is to my understanding 100% correct.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  16. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I'm an anti-wall person. I think borders should be pretty open just like airports...you go through the checkpoints and enter the country. Joe Biden is not a liberal nor has he ever been or voted as a liberal. He's a hawk and a middle ground conservative who happens to support civil rights legislation and he didn't always support that. Biden is a political survivor for his willingness to cave into conservative legislation that hard core Dems don't favor. Joe is not dumb, he knows the wall will get him some GOP voters that are fed up with the orange douche bag. Trump's wall didn't make him racist, it was his words that made him racist with the rapist, terrorist and murderers coming into the country bullshit. As if our American rapists and terrorists and murderers haven't fled to Mexico for hundreds of years.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  17. Road Ratt

Road Ratt King of my own little world

The fact that Biden lied, yet again, will not factor into a Biden supporters thinking. Same as with a Trump supporter on Trump's lies.

The only thing that matters is the besmirching of their candidate/party. A good clean party name comes before facts, the truth, etc. .

18. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I've asked you many times, who has your support? Who did you vote for?

19. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

And you're just now figuring that out...........welcome to America.

20. andalusian

Here is Biden's statement on the subject:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...e-national-security-team-briefing-on-ukraine/

I do not see anything in here that constitutes a lie. It is, simply, following the law, even if you disagree with the appropriation of the money. You can all yell from here to eternity, but I for one am happy that the president, unlike the previous one, does not act like a dictator and ignores the law, even when it disagrees with his opinion. When presidents do that kind of nonsense, we end up with January 6 style insurrection.

If you complain about the president following the law, quite frankly, you are the effin' problem.

theprunetang likes this.