Politics Please say rock bottom is getting close

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by calvin natt, Apr 5, 2022.

1. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

An honest person might have acknowledged Republicans were ready to shut down the government again. That Democrats pushed back against some of the worst demands but had to accelerate IRS cuts already agreed to in order to keep Weaker McCarthy from shutdown.

Governing is hard. Insulting people on message boards is easy.

2. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

This is the rock bottom thread... I don't necessarily consider voting for a Democrat to be supporting Democrats. Very often Republicans are just too effing crazy.

But The fact that the DNC is basically left leaning corporateists who are also basically looking out for themselves it's not like people have a ton of choice.

Like when most leading candidates in the Dem Primaries claimed to be supporting their own flavors of Bernie Sanders basic agenda until the DNC got them all to drop out and step in line in a coalition behind Biden...

Screw the middle class, I'm getting mine.

Drill baby drill.

3. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

The parties are weaker today than they ever have been. They don't have the power to do much of anything. The idea that they are somehow deciding things behind the scenes is on the same level as saying that a secret cabal of pedophile globalists is conspiring to ... whatever globalist pedophiles conspire to do these days.

barfo

4. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

If someone thinks this is a bad deal, fine. If someone thinks Democratic leadership is too pro corporate, I agree. What is irritating me is someone sitting up on internet Mount Olympus calling everyone who chooses to participate in an imperfect political process rather than spend their lives trolling for videos to post "a dumb fucking useless waste of shit".

Phatguysrule likes this.
  5. Phatguysrule

That's why I consider it such a hit on the character of those who did it. It was greed, pure and simple. Every single one of them took personal advancement into a weak shitty bureaucracy over the betterment of their country without hesitation.

I lost a ton of respect for each of them, and while at one time I would have preferred some of them over Biden (Warren, Buttigieg) I now see them as Biden's equal at best.

6. Phatguysrule

Agreed. It's a very tough time to know what to support right now.

7. barfo

You wanted them to go on fighting the good fight, even after the money dried up and they could see the writing on the wall - and for what purpose?

Who would a fight to the death in the primaries have benefited? Certainly not progressive causes or the losing candidates.

It would have benefited Trump and the Republicans, though.

As far as I can see, only Pete and Kamala took jobs in the administration. The others are either back at their old jobs, or unemployed.

barfo

8. Phatguysrule

Fighting the good fight, or at least supporting a candidate who's agenda you rode to increase your own popularity, would have given a more progressive agenda more of a chance. Trump wasn't going to win regardless of who the Dems picked.

It doesn't matter what they are doing now. Trump isn't a dictator now. But his intentions were clear.

9. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Interesting take on the 2 parties.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  10. barfo

Since Biden adopted a fair bit of that agenda himself, not sure that's true. If you mean that Bernie could have gotten the nomination and then beat Trump, I'm skeptical on both counts, but nobody really knows.

That's probably false. He would have made mincemeat of Yang or Marianne. The rest of them, who knows.

Uhm.. you brought up what they are doing now, not me.

barfo

Phatguysrule likes this.
  11. Phatguysrule

Yeah, but they didn't have a much better chance of being the nominee than me.
    Don't think so.

12. Phatguysrule

No, he did not. Even if he said he was, you'd have had to be an absolute rube to believe it after he spent the last 50 years doing the exact opposite.

Did I mention the US is now pumping more oil than any country in history?

That's under Biden.

13. Everything Beagle

Everything Beagle Well-Known Member

Both parties are fucking us without lube but the Democrats have promised us they don't plan on killing us after.

Hoopguru and Phatguysrule like this.
  14. Phatguysrule

Well, Biden promised to be environmentally friendly. But then the whole record drilling for oil thing...

And Obama promised CHANGE.

Everything Beagle likes this.
  15. Everything Beagle

Everything Beagle Well-Known Member

It’s all a scam, but while he was drone striking civilians, gay marriage did get legalized on his watch. Of course in a year it’ll be legislated away by the republicans and I’ll have to move to Europe or Canada or something to avoid being sent on a train somewhere.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  16. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

Florida state legislature working on a bill that would make it a crime to claim discrimination based on race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity. Not to actually discriminate. To claim discrimination. To say someone is racist, homophobic, whatever. The defendant (person who claimed discrimination) can't use as defense statements made by plaintiff (the bigot) that are deemed based on bigot's religion or "scientific" opinions, i.e. claiming "science says there are only two genders" or "science says gays recruit children" even if claims provably false.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  17. barfo

There are several factors that determine how much oil gets pumped, and very few of them have anything to do with who is president right now.

barfo

oldfisherman likes this.
  18. Phatguysrule

Biden promised 'no more drilling on federal lands, period.' He just broke that pledge to approve a massive oil project in Alaska.

====================================

Biden is approving more oil and gas drilling permits on public lands than Trump, analysis finds

Biden Administration Backs Oil Sands Pipeline Project

Why Biden is approving public lands oil drilling permits faster than Trump did — and angering environmentalists

Last edited: Jan 10, 2024
  19. Phatguysrule

True. Of course, Biden was opposed to gay marriage when he won in 2008. So that wasn't the kind of change he was promising.

But props to him for not actively fighting the will of the people to expand equality.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2024
    Everything Beagle likes this.
  20. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

UncleCliffy'sDaddy We're all Bozos on this bus.

It was going to happen eventually, absolutely NO question about it. Better the Dems make hay out of it than the Republicants.......