Politics Please say rock bottom is getting close

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by calvin natt, Apr 5, 2022.

1. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

2. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

3. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Well maybe he actually got 10%

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  4. SlyPokerDog

5. YamTastic

YamTastic I'm Trans Issues

6. Chris Craig

https://www.yahoo.com/news/masked-white-supremacist-march-boston-014402749.html

Looks like a bunch of white supremacists marched in Boston on Saturday. They all wore masks to hide their faces. Some of them carried police shields.

"Several dozen white supremacists marched through the streets of Boston Saturday. The men, some of whom carried police shields and flags, were part of the white supremacist group Patriot Front, CBS Boston reports. At one point, they boarded a subway train at a downtown station. The march drew the condemnation of Boston Mayor Michelle Wu. "To the white supremacists who ran through downtown today: When we march, we don't hide our faces," Wu tweeted. "Your hate is as cowardly as it is disgusting, and it goes against all that Boston stands for."

To the white supremacists who ran through downtown today: When we march, we don’t hide our faces. Your hate is as cowardly as it is disgusting, and it goes against all that Boston stands for."

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  7. Chris Craig

One of those candidates sounds sane and competent.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  8. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

Once again, you are giving the opposition a pass (They are good honest fascists!) and dumping on your allies for not meeting your standards.

I don't buy your claim that most Democrats don't believe in what they advocate for. Nor do I believe that being moderately wealthy necessarily leads one to lose empathy for those less fortunate. In any case, I think electing only middle-class or poor folk as representatives is going to be a very hard hill to climb, given the state of campaign finance laws, or lack thereof.

Sure, I think we can all agree on that. But there might be differences of opinion about who the best democrat is, and you might be in the minority.

barfo

Tyrant of Ants and theprunetang like this.
  9. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

Holding democrats accountable for their actions doesn't have anything to do with the opposition. That's team politics bullshit, and it is a huge part of the problem with this country.

I didn't say being moderately wealthy had anything to do with anything. And I didn't say electing middle class or poor people should be a goal.

People voted for Joe Biden.

Democrats need to fix that if they want to overcome the challenges we're facing.

10. barfo

Why did you say the following, then, if not to draw a distinction between the parties?

Sounds like team politics bullshit to me. With particular emphasis on the bullshit part.

It certainly sounded as if you did. What does the following mean, then? Isn't the implication that we need elected officials for whom the middle class struggles IS personal?

Sure, ok. He wasn't my first choice either. But my first choice wasn't the same as your first choice, so therein lies the problem.

barfo

11. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Rock Bottom would make a great name for a band ..or a pub.

12. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    riverman likes this.
  13. SlyPokerDog

riverman likes this.
  14. Phatguysrule

It only sounds that way if you want to play team politics and argue. Otherwise you would have posted the whole quote. You choosing not quote the whole post just makes me think you aren't actually interested in having an honest conversation, rather, just another "my team vs your team" bullshit fest.

Good. At least we agreed that he wasn't the best choice. As should be abundantly clear by now.

The Dems NEED to elect the best choice, and they NEED to fix their system so that they do. Otherwise, land will win. And that will be Republicans. The sooner Dems get used to that fact the better off they'll be. Neither Hillary or Biden were the best choice. They weren't close.

I think Obama probably was the best choice available... even though he wasn't all that great.

15. Chris Craig

I don't think you will find anyone in here saying Biden should re-run. I can tell you he wasn't anywhere near my top choice. I didn't vote for him in the primary. I sure as hell did in the election to get out Trump.

But, yeah the Democrats need a better candidate. Someone younger, outspoken, confident.

16. Phatguysrule

Yep, as did I.

Someone actually dedicated to solving real problems...

Chris Craig and theprunetang like this.
  17. Chris Craig

I really hope he doesn't re-run or there is a primary.

Trump is going to run and probably get re-elected thanks to the work Republicans have done in states like Georgia and Arizona to disenfranchise Democratic voters and to control elections by putting final decisions into the hands of loyal Trump Republicans who will overturn it if Biden another Dem wins again.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  18. barfo

First of all, I did quote the entire thing previously in one lump, in post #354. Second, I did quote the entire thing in post #356 also, just in two parts, so that I could respond to each separately. I sometimes split up a post when I respond. Sorry if that makes you think I'm posting dishonestly. Thirdly, I don't see how the whole quote changes anything. But here it is again in the entirety:

My prior comments stand.

Ok. I don't think politics is suddenly going to start working differently, but it's up to you what you want to wish for.

barfo

19. Phatguysrule

You didn't quote it all in the post I replied to. It's ok, I got yer schtick.

If Democrats don't fix it the country will go to shit. Republicans aren't going to move the other direction unless the country survives something far more existentially threatening than Trump.

You can long for the good old days all you want, but that will just lead us to a horrible future.

20. barfo

Qualifications for best choice have to include electability, because if your guy doesn't get elected, he's the same as every other loser - irrelevant.

I don't know which, if any, of the other dozen(?) candidates in 2020 might have been elected had they been nominated, including my first choice. No way to ever know. But I'm pretty sure that some of them would have garnered fewer votes than Biden did, even though almost no one was excited about Biden.

barfo

Tyrant of Ants and riverman like this.