Politics Please say rock bottom is getting close

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by calvin natt, Apr 5, 2022.

1. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

Yeah, Democrats had better firgure that out. Unfortunately democratic leadership isn't interested, because it isn't going to impact them personally as much as it will impact their constituents. And they'll get incredibly wealthy on the path we're currently on.

2. Phatguysrule

Probably... I wish Dems should get their shit together.

3. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

Actually, I did. As I already pointed out in the post you just replied to.

And I got yers: accusing me of arguing dishonestly instead of addressing my points.

How am I longing for the good old days???

You and I agree on an awful lot of things. But I can't agree with you about The Problem being the Democratic party.

barfo

riverman likes this.
  4. barfo

Congress people aren't 'incredibly wealthy', by and large. The few who are are mostly that way because they married money, or they acquired it before getting to Congress, or both.

barfo

5. Phatguysrule

I didn't say they were the problem. Just they they are refusing to be the solution.

6. Phatguysrule

7. barfo

Yeah... I agree they are on average wealthier than the average citizen. But $1M in net assets isn't 'immense wealth' by any stretch.

Regardless of the numbers, this data does not imply what you've claimed: that they don't give a shit about those less fortunate.

barfo

8. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I don't understand this train of thinking at all....the dems have twice impeached Trump for obstruction and witness tampering and the GOP wouldn't follow the law...the Jan 6th commission wouldn't exist without democratic support...what part of holding them accountable is them refusing to be a solution? I think you're hanging onto a single issue that seems to rub you the wrong way and not seeing or at least including the bigger picture, which is the protection of democracy itself. In no way does that imply "refusing" to be the solution. The Senate is a hung jury on every infrastructure bill that's been put on the table with the republicans and two democrats balking over things like coal. Obama couldn't get his Supreme Court nominee in with the GOP refusing to cooperate the last year he was in office. Dems have their issues but they are far from refusing to address the elephant in the room. The GOP however is turning us into an authoritarian, theocracy.

Tyrant of Ants likes this.
  9. Phatguysrule

Dems opposed to single payer healthcare

Dems refusing to address our lack of social safety net in any real way.

Dems support of retribution based police, judicial, and prison systems.

Dems support of the war on drugs

Dems refusal to focus on messaging about climate change

Dems refusal to focus on increasing nuclear energy generation (in fact, generally opposing nuclear energy)

Dems opposed to any gun/violent crime solutions that don't limit the rights of law abiding citizens

The list goes on...

It's not a single issue. It's their refusal to come up with an actual platform that can't be attacked as government restrictions or pork.

This could be done, but there wouldn't be any personal profit for the Dem leadership and the rank and file have to spend over 30hrs per week making political promises while groveling for money from a leadership generated list of elites.

They look corrupt, and that costs them a ton of support.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
  10. barfo

Ok, let's see about your platform:

Government restrictions on MDs income. Loss of our freedom of choice! Big government!

Government restrictions on taxpayer's ability to spend money they way they want, instead of taxes. Pork for those providing social services. Welfare queens!

Ohh, Dems are letting criminals run wild! They don't believe in law and order!

Dems are killing our children by not closing the borders!

Dems want to kill businesses! They will destroy the economy! Regulations bad! Free enterprise good!

Nuclear pork for big corporations that will carelessly destroy the world!

Democrats live in a fantasy world where gun violence can be solved without addressing guns!

Point is, any policy can be attacked, especially if your opponent is not a bit concerned about lying or making bad faith arguments.

No, it can't be done.

You seem stuck on the idea that 'leadership' is getting rich and that explains their every action. If that were true they'd be a lot wealthier than they actually are.

That's hardly unique to the Democratic party. Every politician has to raise money, except for the few that actually are personally very wealthy.

barfo

riverman likes this.
  11. riverman

riverman Writing Team

most of what you listed is a false blanket statement about climate change, drugs,energy policy, etc.......the infrastructure bill introduced under Joe couldn't pass because of zero support from across the aisle, and only two dems voted against the bill...both tied to big coal...they have issues but not the magnitude of what you're lumping together here....and Obama couldn't get anything past the GOP majority in the house and Senate...not because he didn't try...one party polluted the supreme court with theological yes judges and it wasn't the dems.....not going to agree with your take concerning this but you're welcome to it. Your best shot at achieving the things you want (except for guns) is having a Democratic majority, not a hung jury with the GOP voting for failure to win the next election. I don't think you understand how inflation actually came to be....it started with the trade war with our largest trading partner under the last administration and ended with a pandemic with 48 million lost jobs....millions of homes burned out by fire and a lockdown that taxed the world not just the states....now we have an enabled Russian, N Korean, Iranian and Chinese military escalation from the last administration that has caused us to shore up our NATO commitments and Pac rim commitments...what I see is the current administration doing what it can to plug the gaping holes left in our global financial support system after the last guy insulted us out of favor with all our natural allies.....Joe knew he was a band aid president and he's not grifting 250 million from poor citizens to fight the Big Lie like Trump is......big fucking difference in these parties and the priority is to hold that party accountable....then when democracy survives if it does, you can vote in whoever you choose...until then we are in damage control mode and have been for 5 years...dems have not taken away civil rights and the right to choose ....republicans have
    You're fighting the wrong fight here.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
  12. Phatguysrule

Well, Republicans aren't going to change for the better and Dems are getting ready to get their asses handed to them by sticking with the status quo.

Definition of insanity my man...

13. Phatguysrule

I didn't say it was unique to the democratic party.

14. riverman

riverman Writing Team

About 1000 republicans have been interviewed by the Jan 6th committee and have given the most damaging testimony concerining the attempted overthrow of our govt....the co chair is a republican...Cassidy Hutchinson is a republican....there are absolutely republicans that have stood with dems to protect the constitution and this is what needs support from all Americans. Liz Cheney and Adam Kitzinger both changed for the better already....now let the current govt hold them accountable..this is the single most important issue facing the nation...and the midterms may not be as GOP friendly after the hearings than you think...I've seen real war which is the definition of insanity...which is why the insurrection and the denial of transition of power is the definition of insanity. There's no time for, yeah, but those lawyers are getting rich!....They would have anyway.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  15. Phatguysrule

I agree that the hearing is the most important issue today. I guess we'll see, but mid terms are not looking good. I think you run the risk of making martyrs out of them and winding up the republican base to turn out strong.

Still need to convict those bastards, but even doing so may not give you the results you're hoping for.

16. Phatguysrule

Pelosi would be richer than she is now? Really? Her and her husband are worth like a quarter billion dollars...

17. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Trump stole that much from his stop the steal fund within months of losing the election. Rich people get rich snowballing riches...once you're in that world you are in that world...we have rich people making decisions in all walks of life. Damian Lillard is worth as much as Nancy Pelosi...so what? Getting rich is fair game in our country.

18. barfo

Pelosi and her husband are filthy rich, it's true. It has little to do with her position in Congress, and a lot to do with his venture capitalism and real estate holdings.

That data point alone really does not support the argument you are trying to make. Let's look at Pelosi's #2 man, Steny Hoyer. Since he's #2 in leadership, he must be really raking in the corruption bucks like Pelosi, right?

Oops.

barfo

19. Phatguysrule

Lol, his salary is $193k per year and he'll get over $150k per year and full benefits when he retires. The $76k net worth looks corrupt as hell...

https://ballotpedia.org/Steny_Hoyer

20. barfo

You have corruption on the brain. Pelosi: she's rich, she must be corrupt! Hoyer: he's poor, he must be corrupt!

Maybe he just spends what he gets paid and doesn't save. Maybe he's run up huge credit card debt. There are more people like that than not.

Future income isn't usually counted in net worth.

barfo