Exclusive Plumlee a Blazer

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Fez Hammersticks, Jun 25, 2015.

1. ThugginPaulyGAllen

ThugginPaulyGAllen Active Member

Glad to have Lopez gone; I like what Plumlee brings. He isn't as awful as you make him sound. He is averaging 6&5 in 20 mins on 72% shooting. I'd like to see his blk and rbd numbers go up and he sets decent screens. Saved us a lot of money on Lopez, too. Lopez is a marginal loss, imo. Curious as to why you'd say Plumlee is underachieving; in the time he is playing, he is serviceable. Don't get it.

Rondae Hollis-Jeferson doesn't look much better than Connaughton.

2. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Ya what exactly is RHJ doing?

Tunchi likes this.
  3. ThugginPaulyGAllen

ThugginPaulyGAllen Active Member

Ding, ding, ding.

Definitely wasn't a big defensive screen setter last year...

4. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

His last start he was 0/3 with 4 reb but +11 in 28 minutes. All defense, no O. I like Aminu and Harlkess better.

Let's see what Plumlee brings for the regular season and by the end of the year. He has some skills, but may get displaced if he isn't able to use them more.

5. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see LA's rebounding numbers this year. I was watching Rolo last week on NBA tv and on a routine outside shot with only he and a teammate under the rim, he never even gave a thought to going after the rebound. He found the opposing big , who was around the free throw line and just boxed him out so his teammate could get the board. Talk about not caring about stats.

Having said that he did frustrate me at times when his feet looked like they were stuck in quicksand while going after a a loose ball. Not the quickest of leapers.

jlprk and Draco like this.
  6. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Not saying he's awful. Simply said he's underachieving. IMO, he is mostly invisible out there, and kinda seems lost. I expected a little more from him; apparently I'm alone in that.

And I'm not saying that RHJ is setting the world on fire at all. In fact, I agree with most of the sentiment regarding Harkless vis-a-vis RHJ. However, I see those as unrelated. I mean, if we hadn't made the deal, RHJ and Harkless would be our 3's, and Aminu could be starting at 4 alongside Leonard.

All I'm really saying is that if Plumlee doesn't end up working out (right now I see him as fourth in our stable of bigs), we will have traded RHJ for Pat and whatever we end up getting for Plumlee. Seems like we might have traded down. Time will tell, but it's not an unreasonable question to ask at this juncture.

7. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I think Plumlee could be a nice trade chip though. I'm not sure, but I just get the feeling like he wasn't thrilled about coming here. He logged some nice time for the Nets last year. I think he can play. So if he underperforms, there might be another reason.

riverman and PtldPlatypus like this.
  8. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I'm ready to trade all the white guys for Paul George..they'll love Indiana

Reep likes this.
  9. PtldPlatypus

Sounds like a plan. Would take out half our bigs, but I guess we could go to a small-ball system. You think George would mind playing the 4? :devilwink:

Eastoff and riverman like this.
  10. riverman

riverman Writing Team

In some way I wonder if Cliff Alexander kicked Plumlee's butt in practice early on
    Yeah...you'd have to keep Leonard and let Aminu go in that case

11. PtldPlatypus

Actually, I was kidding. Davis/Alexander would be our centers, and Vonleh/Aminu would be our PFs. I could handle that. On top of that, we could really go for broke and bring in Upshaw to be our third center.

Draco and riverman like this.
  12. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Yes very different. Rolo was great in the regular season, nice to have a big who could shoot free throws at the end of games, anchored the defense, got offensive rebounds and took the pounding from other centers LaMarsha didn't want. I suspect we'd win more next season with Rolo here instead of Plumlee. But he makes $13 million dollars more and is older.

The main problem with Rolo was when he got exposed in the playoffs the last two years. He's so slow footed he can't guard big men. Him guarding Dwight Howard was a joke. LaMarcus actually guarded Dwight really well but would only do it in the 4th. Rolo didn't fare any better last year against Marc. Meyers was far superior and I think Plumlee would've also been better in a Houston or Memphis series. Eventually we will want to switch from a rebuild to winning playoff games and I don't think Rolo will be able to do that. Not sure Plumlee will either but on a cheap rookie contract he doesn't necessarily have to.

jlprk likes this.
  13. Natebishop3

Actually, I think Rolo played like crap after he came back from an injury mid-season. He was never the same.

jlprk and Orion Bailey like this.
  14. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Sacramento was willing to absorb Deron Williams horrific contract last year if the Nets gave them Mason Plumlee. That was back when Mason was starting and averaging big numbers. It was the Nets who declined the deal!

I wonder if Neil remember that and thought it'd be good to have a potential DeMarcus trade chip the Kings were previously interested in.

Darkwebs, riverman and blue9 like this.
  15. Natebishop3

Maybe. I've still got a feeling a trade will happen before the deadline.

16. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

This is Plumlee's 3rd in the league. I expect him to improve as the season goes along. At 25 he is not super young, but none-the -less he has only played two years in the NBA, so i think there is still hope he will get better.

Orion Bailey and HailBlazers like this.
  17. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Didn't you have a feeling something big was up Neil's sleeve in free agency? Think I remember some long threads on it.

I'm sure Neil will look to improve the roster or use any assets, cap space, he can. But I believe Neil is fine rolling the entire season with what we got.

Eastoff likes this.
  18. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

IMO, serviceable bigs are always worth more.

19. Natebishop3

I feel like Neil has a plan. I thought the plan was to make more of a splash this summer, but now it seems like he's either building entirely towards next year OR he's going to use some of this youth and flexibility to add a piece before the deadline. I could see him making a trade for someone like DeRozan and then using cap space to sign a third star next summer. It seems to me DeRozan, Cousins, and maybe even Paul George might be had for the right price. It would probably have to include 3 of our young guys and maybe the pick. I think the goal is to have three really solid stars before the start of next season. That's just my guess anyway.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  20. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

I agree and I think if we make the steps this season, it can all happen regardless of the "Portlands not a player destination" thought by most.