Poll: Holmgren vs. Banchero

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Rastapopoulos, Mar 29, 2022.

?

Which do you take?

1. Chet Holmgren

30.3%
  2. Paolo Banchero

69.7%
  1. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Bigger as in stronger? He's still relatively skinny and Cleveland uses him defensively in the same way we'd need to use Chet at PF to maximize him. I disagree with Mobley being "much more agile".

2. BonesJones

I dint see Jabari as a noticeably better athlete than the other two. He has high, somewhat stiff hips and dkesnt have a remarkable first step whatsoever. The guy really struggled to get by a set defender off the dribble all season long. He's not a remarkable leaper either.

He's also not a better overall defender than Chet. He's solid on the perimeter but doesn't protect the rim at all and isn't noticeably better when switched onto guards.

Chet is a MUCH better finisher than Jabari. Chet shot 80% (80/100) in the halfcourt on non post-ups. I dont have a stat for Jabari but I watched many Auburn games and he struggled around the rim and only shot 43.5% from 2.

3. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

I put in bold the areas where we disagree. The more video I watch of Chet the more glaringly obvious his slow feet are. He's really smart so he gives guys a ton of room on the perimeter because if they pull up even though he's not right on them they still get their shot blocked. At the same time even though he gives himself that room, he still gets blown by a lot even by bigs who he's covering out there. He is able to recover using his length and he does move his feet really efficiently. I just don't see how these tricks keep working at the NBA level. I think when he gives guys with higher release points and quicker releases that space their shots won't get blocked and I think when he gets blown by which will happen far more in the NBA than it did in the WCC and it happened in WCC play a lot, he won't be able to make up for his slow feet with his insane length and get those recovery blocks that we've all been impressed with. He's really smart and he definitely moves the right way, so maybe I'm wrong and his fundamentals will make up for his lack of foot speed but again, we really disagree if you think he has foot speed that's at the same level as Jabari and Paolo. I think his feet are considerably slower.

Then there's the fact that if you're not playing him on the perimeter, how is he going to handle grinding with NBA bodies down low and I don't think he can handle that either. So I think he has some amazing qualities like his defensive timing, positioning, feel for the game and even his jumping ability for someone his height but I don't know if without the right kind of guy around him (a fast and strong post player that doesn't necessarily have to have great length) if he will be able to get past his defensive liabilities.

On offense I think he's amazing to watch because he is the one that gets to dictate the pace so his foot speed really doesn't have to come into play. He puts himself in the right spots on that end of the floor too, he has a great hesitation that helps him get by his guy. He hits the open three at a great clip. He both sees the floor well and executes passes at an extremely high level for a big.

I just think putting him in the front court defensively with someone who isn't really quick and really strong is kind of a non starter for me with what I've seen. Nurk also happens to have slow feet for an NBA player... neither of these guys have slow feet for your 90s NBA center but the game has changed and while we can survive with Nurk, he has to have a bunch of guys around him that are really quick and can switch onto smaller guys without getting burnt because Nurk definitely can't and I don't think Chet will be able to at the NBA level either.

4. Predator

Predator The Godfather

I’ve gone thru this before. Mobley weighed between 22-30 lbs more than Chet or something like that when Rasta brought up “skinny people like Kevin Garnett and Evan Mobley” who both had significant weight advantages. And damn near every scout would disagree with you on the agility thing. One of his strengths as a prospect was due to his agility.that ain’t Chet.

5. blazerkor

I think you're right that Jabari doesn't always move the most efficiently but he's young and some of those kinks tend to work themselves out but watch the video and look at his lateral quickness and his north south speed... I think they're a little better than Paolo and a lot better than Chet. The reason you don't see him blow by his man is because he doesn't put the ball on the floor much at all and when he does he's not that great at it, at this point. Both Chet and obviously Paolo are way better at that. I don't think any of the guys are particularly explosive leapers even though Chet seems like he is because of his length but I think all of them get up pretty well and I'd say without having seen any numbers that Jabari will have the highest vertical if we ever get to see what that is from these guys. As far as what makes Jabari the best all around defender of the three, it's the mix of his athleticism and his motor. I don't think Paolo has his motor and I don't think Chet has his athleticism.

As far as Chet's numbers finishing, Chet doesn't take the kind of contested attempts at the rim or anywhere else that Jabari does. Jabari definitely needs to learn when not to take a jumper or go up in the lane. That 43.5% from 2 can be deceiving because Jabari takes a lot of long contested twos that he'll either have to start making more or like most players cut out from his game.

6. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

What if somehow the Lakers ended up with Chet Holmgren? Don’t say it can’t happen.

7. blazerkor

It can't happen. They don't have a pick in this draft and don't have the assets to get a pick high enough. I mean I don't even think with LeBron's age and AD's injury problems that teams would take either of those superstars with their salaries for the pick where Holmgren will be taken.

Wait... I know, if Holmgren ends up being a bust (he does have the highest bust potential of the top 3 or 4 guys in this draft) then he might end up on the Lakers or maybe even if he's really successful he'll pull a LeBron and sign with the Lakers later in his career. So I guess that's how he could somehow end up with the Lakers.

PtldPlatypus likes this.
  8. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

Lakers don't own their pick this year, and the Pels have the option to swap picks next year while also owning the Lakers 2024 pick. Holmgren woulf have to stay at Gonzaga thru his senior year, then the Lakers draft him in 2025

UNLESS...Blazers get a top-3 pick in this coming lottery and trade it for Lebron!!

9. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    I hope they don’t but I believe the Blazers will trade their picks.

10. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

11. BonesJones

But when Chet shoots tough, contested shots around the rim he finishes them. He also has an easier time getting off shots in the paint due to his length.

12. BonesJones

Chet's visibly put on weight since he was weighed last.

Actually, scouts don't disagree with me on the agility thing...

13. Predator

Predator The Godfather

The comparison was agility between Mobley and Holmgren, not is Holmgren “agile at all”. He’s agile for his size, as I’ve said.

Mobley is agile for anyone, regardless of his size, which is what scouts praised. He can legitimately lock down guards on the perimeter.

here you go.

14. Predator

Predator The Godfather

Actually, I just re-read what I wrote and it wasn’t as clear as I intended.

Mobley was praised for his freakish agility. That is not Chet - that’s what I should’ve wrote.

BonesJones likes this.
  15. BonesJones

See I've watched Chet all season, not just video. He switched out onto guards at time this season and never appeared too slow to keep up, even on high caliber guards. The dude moves his feet well for a guy who's a true 7 footer, maybe even 7'1. He'll be able to guard 4s on the perimeter in the NBA.

STOMP likes this.
  16. BonesJones

"One of his strengths as a prospect was due to his agility.that ain’t Chet."

That's what you said, but every scouting service lists agility as a strength for Chet. I'm not arguing that he's more agile than Mobley. People in here are saying he's slow-footed and isn't agile and that's simply wrong.

EDIT: Saw your last post. I don't disagree with it. But he does have a multiple similarities to Mobley and would be used the same way. It's about as close as you can get for a comparison.

17. Predator

Predator The Godfather

Yeah, like I said, my bad on the wording there.

I’ll also say… they’ll be used similarly but I think Mobley is more effective defensively. I think Chet has a lot more offensive potential though.

18. BigGameDamian

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bl...trail-blazers-nba-draft-withhold-medical-info

Chet Holmgren Withholding Medical Info?

Not ideal for the potential No. 1 pick

We currently have Chet Holmgren at No. 2, but I’m not overly confident that’s how it will actually unfold. For starters, will Oklahoma City even stay put at this pick? Sam Presti is known to be a wheeler and dealer. Could the Thunder take Paolo Banchero or even Jaden Ivey? I also heard Holmgren has not provided his medical information to teams (at least most of them), and did not do the NBA’s heart screening. That could suggest that his agents are trying to manipulate the draft and direct Holmgren to a specific spot, which is probably the most likely scenario. I don’t know which team that would be though.

19. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

This mother fucker better not fall to 7

SwissBlazer likes this.
  20. BigGameDamian