Science Poll: how are you feeling about the team after this Billups thing?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Rastapopoulos, Jun 27, 2021.

?

How does the Billups hiring make you feel about the team?

1. Great - he'll be a great coach and it's a new day. Go Blazers!

45.5%
  2. I'm not sure - depends on how good a coach he is, but his past doesn't bother me

21.2%
  3. I'm honestly confused - I don't like the accusation but I trust the vetting process

16.7%
  4. I am very disappointed that the rape accusation did not disqualify him

1.5%
  5. What with this and Dame's reaction and the divide in the fans the Blazers just make me sad right now

13.6%
  6. Fuck this front office and fuck the Blazers until we clean house

1.5%
  1. Eastoff

Eastoff But it was a beginning.

What do you mean 1993?

Utah is among the few U.S. states that have separate ages of consent for women and men. For women, the age of consent in Utah is 16 years old. While for men, it is 18 years old. However, for women between the ages of 16 and 18, there are some restrictions. No person under the age of 18, male or female, can legally consent to sex with a person who is more than 10 years older than the minor.

BBert likes this.
  2. Paine Tablet

Paine Tablet Well-Known Member

The problem I always have with this issue is that it's not a female issue. I was molested as a child and I can't tell you how many times so called feminists just completely blank on this issue. Some notable ones here have done it recently and I could call them out for it because it's blatant sexism. Some of the worst serial killers in the world target little boys for rape and torture. Recently, the most prolific serial sex offender in the world was arrested in England, and I believe all of his targets/victims were grown men. Sex with adolescent boys is common place in poor districts in mid-Asia such as Pakistan, India, and Afghanistan. In the documentary I watched, the perpetrators explained that boys aren't protected like females are in their culture. Of course, feminists speak of patriarchy and how it oppresses women, but in reality, all they do is obscure power differentials that potentially exist for all human beings because theirs is blatantly a primacy movement.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    riverman likes this.
  3. James lamphear

James lamphear Well-Known Member

I don't know how good coach he will be but it bother me a little about his past if true or not. But if they vetted him and he wasn't the one then I will go with that. But the thing he learn don't put yourself in position where you can get the finger pointed at you. I am trying looking hard clippers running there offense and defense. Now offense to there nothing new that we don't already run. Everyone spread out and pick and roll or iso and the player that drive read defense for either shooting or passing. Hopefully Billups has something different. Now defense it's different then ours the center don't drop as much and they contest shots a lot. But I hold opinion when actually see how we play. Now Dame I don't fault him due he just threw a couple coaches out but didn't know there past it's not his job to do the hiring it's olshey job to do that. But hopefully everything was cover on Billups by this blazer management hopefully they cross there t's and dot there eyes because they didn't there be fire storm hit that place where they would never recover until they sell the team matter fact they probably wouldn't know choice but sell the team.

4. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

well said. Ive followed round ball for decades and do recall when that happened and thought lets see what kind a person he is as he continues his career. To me and many of his peers it seems he has earned much respect and appreciated as a person.

5. All Net

All Net Member

Hmm. I have a hard time seeing how common sense vindicates Billups. If all he did was get a voluntary blowjob from the woman, why did he need to reach a settlement with her? “Common sense” would say he’s trying to cover up something more than a blowjob.

6. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

Boston has a history of racism. Not saying PDX doesn't, but Boston's racist past was on hyperdrive. Not sure the judicial system there would have been very favorable back in the late '90s.

blazerkor likes this.
  7. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Seriously? How long have you been on this earth? Are you really implying that only guilty people settle?

PtldPlatypus likes this.
  8. Hoopguru

come on man...young millionaires & politicians, for decades, have been paying to keep things out of the press for agent suggested pr reasons, for consensual sex.
    And if you were worth millions someone from your past may seek an opportunity to cash in for the once in a while past relationship.

Pinwheel1 likes this.
  9. All Net

All Net Member

Yep, that’s possible. It’s also possible that Billups did a lot more than get a blowjob from her, and that’s why he paid the settlement.

10. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Yep, there are a lot of things that are possible. But to list them all would not be fair to the woman.
    Lets not go there

11. All Net

All Net Member

Nope. I’m saying that sometimes people settle because they’re guilty.

12. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    You can infer what you want from that old settlement, but there's a reason that these things almost always come with a Non-Disclosure Agreement. People's reasons for settling are their own and all parties agreeing to the settlement are also agreeing to keep the reasons private.

Haakzilla and Pinwheel1 like this.
  13. All Net

All Net Member

Of course. And sometimes there are damning reasons why a player wants to keep things private.

14. Hoopguru

Tie goes to the runner!

15. Ripcity4life77

Ripcity4life77 Well-Known Member

I like the hire and in regards to Dame -- I believe Dame has prolly gone to NeO and said something to the effect of -- Giving it one more year but after that i am not sure

calvin natt likes this.
  16. riverman

riverman Writing Team

you're clearly overthinking this for the purpose of reopening a closed case...people reach settlements with people to avoid public trials and giving even more money to lawyers...and sometimes they do it to spare the victim from reliving it over and over....you don't know, I don't know so let's not speculate about something that's long been resolved. It doesn't have to make sense to you or me....it's not our lives affected by it...only one person has the right to say she was manipulated into silence and she's not complaining...that should tell you something given how popular the #metoo movement is these days....Chauncey Billups is not Harvey Weinstein

Haakzilla and Pinwheel1 like this.
  17. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Of course. But coming to the conclusion that a guy is guilty of rape based solely on the fact that he signed a settlement agreement is just damned stupid.

18. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Of the many factors to consider one possible factor is that rookie players have liability insurance and insurance company attorneys like to settle.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021