Portland in Iguodala Sweepstakes

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by craigehlo, Jan 29, 2010.

1. craigehlo

craigehlo Elite Wing

That's a legit #2 scorer for this team. I hope this rumor has legs.

2. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    I just hope it doesn't involve Batum.

3. Fez Hammersticks

Phone Psychic
    Throughout the off-season we've had numerous debates on whether Andre Iguodala can or will play point guard this season, and Kate ***an's recent article might have given us an answer.

Andre Iguodala said he'd like to play a little point guard this year for the 76ers. "I think we'll be good regardless. This year, I'm trying to be open to everything."

I see this as nothing as good news for the Sixers and Iguodala. Not only does Iguodala possess the team's best court vision and playmaking abilities, but he can also defend a point guard just as well as he can defend a small forward (really well). Moving Iguodala to the one also allows Thad to play his natural position (small forward) and Brand to play his (power forward), so it's beneficial for everyone.

Iguodala also said he had been in the gym endlessly - specifically in the last month - working on various skills, including the "catch-and-shoot" because of new coach Eddie Jordan's pass-and-cut offense.

4. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Note it says can. Which is tantamount to saying "I'm making this shit up".

I was much more into this before Nic Batum came out looking like a Scottie Pippen-Kevin Durant hybrid. I would NOT favor giving up Batum even one-for-one. And suppose we got him while keeping Batum. Who starts? Next year? Does Batum get an Iguodala-esque contract?

Maybe if Brandon Roy really could play PG, we could start all three. But otherwise, I guess we really do need a 4 or a five much more.

5. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Rather have Nic. Doesn't need shots to help the team.

6. LameR

LameR Ha Seung-Jin Approved!

Soccer Coach
    This.

7. Luther

Luther Member

Ok Nic is good. How good, we don't really know yet. Comparing him to one of the best players of all time and a current All-Star in any way is just dumb. I really like Batum, but I seriously doubt he ever makes an All-Star team.

8. BengalDuck

BengalDuck Well-Known Member

Why does everyone assume Batum is on the block?

9. noknobs

noknobs Well-Known Member

This.

10. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Hyperbole:

(a) Why?
    (b) Even if he doesn't, that doesn't mean he can't be very good. Tayshaun Prince will never have made an all-star team, while Jamal Magloire has. That says more about the all-star system than anything.

11. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

I'm high enough on Nic's potential that I probably wouldn't do this deal, if only because Iggy makes a ton of money for what he provides and needs the ball quite a lot to be effective.

12. Luther

Luther Member

I didn't say he isn't or won't be really good. The players you just compared him to are in another league though. Hyperbole's don't really work out too well when comparing basketball players...

13. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking Philly wouldn't really value Batum anyways as much as they would Rudy. Acquiring a SG would allow them to move Thad Young to the SF slot, whereas acquiring Batum still keeps them with a mismatched roster. Doubt anything happens with it. Would need to include a SF from our team as well, since having all 3 would be overkill, but adding Webster is the same issue as adding Batum, if they want Thad at SF.

Blake, Outlaw, Rudy, Webster and Przybill

for

Dalembert and Iguodola.

Miller/Bayless
    Roy/Bayless/
    Iguodola/Batum
    Aldridge/Howard/Cunningham
    Dalembert/Pendergraph

Lou Williams/jrue Holliday
    Rudy/Webster
    Thad Young/Webster
    Brand
    Speights

Not going to pretend to know their lineup well, and am too lazy right now to look it up. They save over 4 million dollars this season. Will save well over that next season, as Webster and Joel combined make close to what Dalembert makes. Which means they basically shave Iggy's contract.

14. shamelessblazer

shamelessblazer Member

I'm not willing to lose Batum for him, but here are a couple of hypotheticals. As much as I would HATE to lose Fernandez or Bayless the fact is that they both are on rookie deals and will cost more and want playing time in just the next couple of years, can't keep everyone. BUT Iggy is definetely overpaid for what he is at the moment (third tier star creator). He was at his best when an ultimate utility guy who played tough D, the real question is can he go back to that role (be our scottie pippen), after being 'the man'. Philly is going to want cap relief and some talented young pieces coming back, and Blake or Outlaw would work well for cap relief (and they need a shooter like Blake bad), while Bayless, Rudy, or Webster would qualify as cheap young talent.

1. Blake/Bayless/Webster for him?

Miller
    Roy/Fernandez
    Iguodala/Batum

with Roy and Fernandez playing spot minutes at 1? Losing these three while retaining Miller and Fernandez leaves the best passers to feed Iggy and Roy and arguably the best off the ball players. With Iggy and Miller (along with Batum/LA/Rudy) there's no damn way we're not running.

2. Blake/Rudy/Outlaw?

Miller/Bayless
    Roy/Webster
    Iguodala/Batum

Leaves the best penetrators, but with Roy and Iguodala being good at that the team could be left with isoball (Nate might love it). Webster would really be the only shooter left too (we'll see about Batum).

3. Blake/Webster/Rudy? (perhaps the most realistic, Bayless likely doesn't fit long term next to Lou Williams)

Miller/Bayless
    Roy/Batum
    Iguodala/Batum

There'd be enough minutes for everyone, but no consistent shooters whatsoever in the backcourt.

4. Blake/Rudy/Bayless/Outlaw

Miller/Batum
    Roy/Batum
    Iguodala/Webster

We retain a ton of size and can beat the hell out of teams (might give up some outside shots), and Batum gets some minutes at 1/2 while Webster takes minutes at 2/3. Probably my favorite of the combinations considering the rotation we're left with at the 1-3 spots. I think Batum can play point next to Roy AND Iggy, probably not with Martell in there too though. We would still have Mills and could bring over Koponen next year too.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  15. Fez Hammersticks

Phone Psychic
    I heard Shamelessblazer running to this thread a mile away.

16. OSUBlazerfan

OSUBlazerfan Writing Team

Seriously??? in your dreams, Phili laughs at you and hangs up

17. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Check.

18. shamelessblazer

shamelessblazer Member

This wasn't true his first few years in the league though, he played off of AI extremely well. He has the ability (like Roy has the ability to run the break as he did at Washington), but are they willing to do it?

19. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Maybe they do, maybe they don't. What has come up in other talks? They said they would like to move Dalembert with Iggy. To Houston for McGrady? Which deal is better? One where they get two good young players in Rudy and Martell, or nothing at all? Saves them an awful lot of money over the life o fthose deals. They don't seem to be looking to get a great return on the floor, but moving all of their salary if possible. This sure helps.

20. shamelessblazer

shamelessblazer Member

I really haven't been interested in Iggy at all since that extension, if it's a feasibility now my curiosity is piqued, mostly because I know Nate won't truly ever utilize Rudy or Webster, but I don't know if he'd utilize Iggy (on the break) at all either.