Portland looking to make a blockbuster move?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Fez Hammersticks, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

It's been 9 hours (or so) since I posted in this thread and I was not at all sober, so let my sober self comment:

Wallace would be a great acquisition for us. He's defensive-minded, he can run, he can rebound and get to the line. He is not, as far as I can tell, a selfish player and not a troublemaker.

Moving Raef + Frye + Outlaw seems like a good package for him.

Raef gives them cap relieve. Frye gives them a starting power forward (which is crtical, given that May has busted and they're trying to go with Jared Dudley and getting outmatched there every game). Outlaw gives them a good player that might step right into their lineup at the 3, but at least a guy who can back up the 3 and 4 and provide instant offense off the bench.

Wallace gives the Blazers options. It thins us up front a bit, but backing up LA we can go with Ike and/or play Wallace at the 4 along with Batum or Webster (or Rudy).

The only reason Gerald is available is because of the peculiarities with the Bobcats: their cheap-ass owner and Larry Brown's preference to tinker with his roster.

Get it done, KP!

Ed O.

2. noknobs

noknobs Well-Known Member

I don't like it at all.

We'd still have three SF who deserve playing time (once Webster returns).

Our only backup PF would be Ike.

And we used probably the biggest bargaining chip in the NBA right now (Raef) without upgrading the position we really need to, the PG.

I wouldn't understand this trade at all.

3. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    A trade for Gerald Wallace is imminent? Wow. And all we'dgive up is Travis Outlaw, Channing Frye and cap relief?

This would be a dream come true. After the Luol Deng/Andre Iguodala/Josh Smith/Danny Granger tier, I think Gerald Wallace would be my ideal choice for small forward. As much as I like Josh Childress, I like Wallace even more.

I'd be thrilled if this happens, especially since Portland doesn't even give up Fernandez, Batum or Bayless. Gerald Wallace is clearly superior to Outlaw, and Frye is a non-entity as far as the team's long-term future.

I really hope Blazers Edge is right. This would be the perfect use of the LaFrentz fueled cap room. And Martell Webster, while not my idea of a great starter, would be a very quality reserve. With Batum's enormous potential still waiting in the wings (pun intended).

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  4. Minstrel

User Interface Designer
    Diogu was disappointing in pre-season, but his performance, when he's been on the floor, in his first few seasons leads me to believe that he can be a productive backup power forward. I'd be willing to take on that risk this season to get Wallace.

5. Crimson the Cat

Crimson the Cat Well-Known Member

Webster could back up Rudy. Brandon would be given a lot more time at the PG. He is our PG of the future I believe now. Not sure I like it, but thems the cards we've been dealt.

Don't forget about Randolph. I prefer him to Diogu anyway.

What I don't like is moving Travis Outlaw. But, if it can get us Gerald Wallace, I don't see that we have much of a choice.

6. craigehlo

craigehlo Elite Wing

I agree....if Diagu could grow 4 inches. Dude is too small to play NBA PF. I like his game, but he's getting lost in the trees under the hoop.

Gerald Wallace would be an amazing deal. It would take a ton of pressure off of Roy and give us a player that can get to the FT line when this team gets too jumpshot happy.

7. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Agreed. Further, Wallace has demonstrated competence playing the power forward spot in the past. If we used him in that role sparingly, he could easily be teamed with one of our small forwards (along with Oden or Joel) effectively against many teams.

Finally, if/when Oden comes back, even if he gets "only" 30 minutes a game, that only leaves 18 for Joel. I think that while Joel would be an atypical power forward, he could get some run against certain opponents (San Antonio, for example) backing up that spot.

Ed O.

8. Masbee

Masbee -- Rookie of the Year

Wow. This shit is soooo last month. Good to see other internet sites finally cathcing up to the style setters. :wink:

Much more here, or see bumped thread:
    http://www.sportstwo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127011

9. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    Gerald plays the 3/4. In the pre-season he started at PF for Charlotte.

And why stress out about a backup PF? They are relatively easy to find.

10. Blaze01

Blaze01 JBB JustBBall Member

The more I watch this team, the more I think we need to deal for a PG and not a SF....

I am not a big fan of Blake at all...Ask yourself, is Steve Blake the starting PG for a NBA championship team? My answer is a resounding NO.....

The problem is though that the back-ups are not worthy either IMO....Sergio? Love his passing, love his synergy with Rudy, but his shooting is still suspect and his defense still weak...IMO he is a career back-up\2nd stringer at best on this team....I certainly wouldn't advocate him being on the floor in the 4th over Roy, Rudy & Outlaw\Webster\Batum....

Bayless...Here is the kid with the best shot to be that player...but in a different way...I still view him as more of a scoring PG than a more well rounded\initiate the offense type of player.....Perhaps that will change as he becomes more accustomed to the NBA....

I just look at this team and I think Rudy has to play 25-30 minutes a game...he is just tooo good not to have out there on the floor...that means time at PG or SG...and ROy playing all three positions from PG-SG-SF depending on the match-ups....and I like POR young SF...Batum is a keeper IMO, his defense, rebounding and alla round heady play make him a valuable "cog" to this team....and I see that value only increasing as he gains NBA experience.....I have always prefered Webster over Outlaw.....Outlaw IMO is more dynamic...he can get into a "zone" and when he does he is a valuable player...but when he is not shooting well, he is a negative out there on the floor....Last night however, he impressed me not with his shooting\offense (which was good)...but his rebounding and defense....Those are two areas I have always felt that Webster was better at than Outlaw....I think in the end 1 of them likely has to go...but either way with Webster\Outlaw\Batum and the ability of Roy or Rudy to play some at SF...I don't think we need to add another player there....Let these guys mature.....

PG is the spot this team needs to focus on IMO...

11. drexlersdad

drexlersdad SABAS

wallace would be a majofr upgrade, but at what cost? if it is a pure salary dump with ammo thrown in then hell yeah.

12. SpanishFly

SpanishFly Member

PG? maybe we have the NEED, but do a search of what's available reasonably if at all and it's a bleak list. And I don't want to rent Kidd or someone like him for a yr. Virtually nothing of interest available for a vet PG who could really make a difference. Billup would have been great but that shop has sailed. Ther's always Hinrich, but only if one thinks he really is a significant upgrade over Blake - do you?

13. shamelessblazer

shamelessblazer Member

Realistically you can only play 2 of the three of Outlaw, Frye, and Webster...

Wallace, Webster > Outlaw, Frye; Outlaw, Webster; or Webster, Frye

that's the way I think of it.

14. shamelessblazer

shamelessblazer Member

I would personally bring him off the bench (Webster provides shooting in the first unit and that's our "structured" team, and have him back up the 3 and 4. We'd just be playing a 2-3 zone much more with either Oden or Pryz under the post, wallace on the strong side, and Webster or Batum on the other side we'd be fine.

Gorgeous second unit: Sergio/Rudy/Batum/Wallace/Pryzbilla :clap::clap::clap::cheers::cheers::cheers::NOTMARIS:

15. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

I was thinking the asme thing. There are a lot of teams you could debate about Denver, GS, Chicago, Miami ect. But there si little to debate about the Clips, Kings, OKC, Memphis, Miwaukie, Washington, Charlotte, NY. NJ . . . I'm sure there are others.

27th? That is just a wrong power ranking.

16. WarriorFan

WarriorFan Active Member

What would you guys think about a 3-way trade in which Portland gets Wallace, Charlotte gets Al Harrington (whom they want for some reason), and the Warriors get Blake and Diogu/Frye (solving short term PG need and extra rebounder/exiring contract). I think this would work for all teams involved. The Warriors get the short end of the stick talent-wise but given their situation, they'd rather have flexibility than another big contract.

17. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

I'd love it, though I think Portland comes out a bit too well in that scenario.

18. WarriorFan

WarriorFan Active Member

Yeah I was just thinking that too, maybe make it Outlaw instead of Diogu/Frye. Although from the Warriors perspective, I'd do it anyway just to get rid of Al and open playing time for Brandan Wright. I'd love to find a way for the Warriors to end up with Felton but that wouldn't be a deal breaker, Blake will do just fine until Monta comes back then he goes to the bench.

19. MAS RipCity

MAS RipCity Mercy, Mercy

Can we do Webster, Blake, Frye, future 1st for Wallace?
    I really want to keep Outlaw for his versatility and his 3 pt fg% has been better than Marty's for some time now.

Serge/Bayless
    Roy/Rudy
    Wallace/Batum
    LMA/Trav
    Oden/Thrilla

PERFECT 10 man rotation AND we still have Raef's contract if we want to still move Sergio for a vet pg.

20. Minstrel

User Interface Designer
    And Charlotte gets shafted. I don't think it's overvaluing Portland's players to say Outlaw and Frye > Harrington.

I'm not even a huge fan of Outlaw. I think he and Harrington are of similar value and utility (though Outlaw is younger), but Frye adds to the package. And I assume LaFrentz was assumed as going to Charlotte...that would be an essential part of what Charlotte would be looking for, salary relief.