Portland Signs Georgios Papagiannis to a 10-Day Contract

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BonesJones, Mar 6, 2018.

1. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    Want to see what Baldwin can do in the summer league.... If he develops his outside shot we can use him at either guard spot. He even may end up having more upside than Shabazz.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    BBert likes this.
  2. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    Didn't know they had signed PapaG through next season. Guess they see something...

3. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Big man insurance is a very good investment. When injuries happen, it's a lot harder to find a serviceable big man to bring in than guards and wings. I think it's also helpful to have a couple extra on your bench for situational substitutions and to keep your regular's minutes down. For example keeping Nurk to under 30 minutes a game will pay off in keeping him fresh and healthy for the playoffs.

4. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

http://www.eurohoops.net/en/nba-news/638059/papagiannis-deal-blazers-best-thing-happened-two-years/

– How do you feel that the Portland Trail Blazers trusted you with a contract not only for this season but for 2018-2019 as well?

– “I’m really-really happy being with this team. This is the best thing that has happened to me these last two years. Every person here has been exceptional. From the coach to the GM and the management, the staff. All the players are terrific characters. I’m just happy being here.”

– What do you think is the biggest difference you feel between the Blazers and the Kings?

– “I can’t answer this right now. There are differences. But right now, I’m really happy with this team and I’m going to give my best for the Blazers.”

– Did you think of returning to Europe when you were cut by the Kings?

– “I had an offer to return to Panathinaikos. I want to thank club owner Dimitris Giannakopoulos for giving that offer, believing in me and trusting me to potentially get back. But I chose to stay in the USA and examine my options. After I was waived by the Kings. I immediately moved to L.A. and started training there. Going to the gym, even doing some boxing in order to preserve my physical condition.”

– Do you think about playing with the Greek national team in the World Cup Qualifiers in June?

– “Of course. It’s the biggest honor for every player to play for his country. I will talk with the coaches as well since this is a new team. I’ll see how to make in order to be there.”

TBpup, Gronk Brady and BonesJones like this.
  5. Labinot41

Labinot41 Well-Known Member

6. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

7. Labinot41

Labinot41 Well-Known Member

True

8. ripcity67

ripcity67 Active Member

agreed

Labinot41 likes this.
  9. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Yeah, we need that spot to sign a viable big like Len, Okafor, or Beasley

Orion Bailey likes this.
  10. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Just point out that Pappa G is just 21 years old....barely played....bigs have a longer learning curve in the NBA....to be NBA ready as a center you need to gain experience guarding DeAndre Jordan, Boogie, D Howard, Anthony Davis, etc....as it is the kid has only practiced against a few bigs like Nurk ...project...not saying he's going to stick, but folks have to realize who these 3rd stringer are and not expect them to be impact players at 21...Collins was an unusual exception to the rule. He'd make a lot more going back to Greece and start with a team.

Gronk Brady likes this.
  11. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

But even in Sumer league he doesn’t look close to belonging. There are other 3rd string centers running circles around him.

Eastoff, Labinot41 and Chris Craig like this.
  12. riverman

riverman Writing Team

He touched the ball about 3 times....summer league is never a big man's showcase...he's really young...no college experience...he's a project...Nic Batum looked terrible in summer league and Nolan Smith looked like an allstar in summer league...sort of...it's summer league

Gronk Brady likes this.
  13. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Too many projects in our front court. Papa is a project, Swanigan is a project, Meyers has been a project for 6 years. Blazers are deep in their back court, and even at the 3, but the front court is paper thin. They need to let papa go or trade Swanigan to make room for a viable big, who can provide more depth in the front court to balance out the roster.

14. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

It’s his footwork though. he doesn’t need the ball to show or noit show what he has. I’m Saying he looks waaay too slow and cement footed to ever make it in the nba as anything.

Chris Craig likes this.
  15. Chris Craig

plus we have three third string centers

Eastoff likes this.
  16. Chris Craig

He's like Frankenstein in there

17. riverman

riverman Writing Team

They may well do that but to say a rookie big like him looks uncertain on an NBA court is a given in my view....two way contract would be the ticket for him..like Baldwin had last season. He'll probably go back to Greece for the paycheck and the comfort level anyway.

Chris Craig likes this.
  18. riverman

riverman Writing Team

prepare yourself CC....Meyers is not a 3rd stringer anymore with Ed gone....we have 3 rotation centers as it stands....Collins, Nurk and Leonard

kjironman1 and Chris Craig like this.
  19. Chris Craig

Of course he looks uncertain he's a rookie. I am not arguing that. I am saying the Blazers have too many project bigs. They lost Ed Davis and need another big who isn't a project.

20. Chris Craig

I hope he brings it, I really do. It'll be about damned time. He didn't look too bad last season, but even with him, blazers need a little more depth in the front court. Let Papa go back to Greece, let the G league babysit Swanigan, and sign another big who can shoot and play defense to add more depth.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    Orion Bailey likes this.