OT Portland sports radio host Isaac Ropp arrested for drunken driving, records show

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SlyPokerDog, Dec 17, 2018.

1. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    My comment about the first time was about getting behind the wheel after drinking and its pure speculation.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  2. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Yeah very few get caught the "First Time".

Jade Falcon likes this.
  3. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    Yeah, its possible that was his first time, but it wasnt exactly like he’s a kid. I think he’s 42. Sounds like he came back to work business as usual until the story came out and he went all emotional...
    He very well may be upset about it, but I hope hes more upset about what he did than getting caught.

BonesJones and Jade Falcon like this.
  4. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I'd make a terrible Uber driver....I'd be telling drunk Duck fans how they should be walking everywhere in Tracktown USA! Driving drunk Duck fans around in my Beaver gear....that's not gonna work out

Jade Falcon and kjironman1 like this.
  5. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Yeah Ive listen to him since Ropp/Mop days and have always enjoyed his balance fun and seriousness. I agree he should have apologized/addressed it before the article.
    I haven't heard the interview but it sounds a bit odd that he was crying when Ropp always comes across with own it and move on, with little sympathy or emotions.
    I hope the sobbing isn't an indicator that he's struggling with alcohol?

6. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

When I was younger I drove drunk a couple times. Then one time I was out with friends at a bar and I decided not to have a drink for whatever reason. We all got into my jeep and went to the store to get a bunch of booze. My friends were hammered. I was still stone cold sober. We were going to get on the freeway but at the last minute decided to stop at one of their houses so I changed lanes out of the on ramp and continued down the road. I'm not sure how long the cop had been following me, but he pulled me over. Unfortunately there was literally no shoulder so I was trying to find a place to pull over. He yelled at me to pull the car over from his loud speaker. Finally there was a turn into a parking lot so I stopped. The guy must have asked me if I'd had anything to drink about 100 times. I'm sure it looked like an open and shut case. My friends were wasted. We had a ton of booze in the back. I didn't pull over right away. He pulled me out of the car to talk to me. As he was doing that another patrol car was showing up. I will admit I was being a little smug. I hadn't had a single drink that night. He had to let me off with a warning to drive safer (his excuse was me deciding to change lanes at the last minute was the reason for pulling me over.)

Since then I have never drank and drive. I don't really drink very often anyway. But I considered that a wakeup call. Something or someone was sending me a message that night.

7. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

WHAT A SCUMBAG

Jade Falcon and riverman like this.
  8. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I was driving a car I'd just bought the day before to a gig in SF from Lake Tahoe and outside of Sacramento a drunk driver doing 110mph in the slow lane on I 80 hit me ...I was doing about 60....totaled the car..put two of my band member in the hospital...the guy just gave up his license and went to jail...hired a lawyer and the guy had nothing so I also ended up with a lawyer bill......it was Christmas Eve...I hadn't transferred the insurance yet as it was the holiday...this is my Christmas tale...I remember looking in the rear view mirror and seeing these two seemingly endless ribbons of light...headlights coming up at twice my speed. When he hit me it shot my car two miles down the interstate before I could stop....worse thing....I lost some really great instruments that I could never replace.....I replaced them but the ones that died were special.

Hoopguru and Jade Falcon like this.
  9. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    No. I wasn't suggesting you becoming an Uber driver. I was suggesting your friends might use it as an alternative to just callibg you sofrequently. :drinkapint:

riverman likes this.
  10. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I really appreciate that you think I actually have friends with phones!

Hoopguru and kjironman1 like this.
  11. Dutchman063

Dutchman063 Active Member

Doesnt surprise me this arrogant douchebag Ropp put innocent peoples lives in jeopardy before his own just so he can get his jollys partying like a teenager, hope he gets fired

Jade Falcon likes this.
  12. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

lol, I wonder how many people are yelling at Ropp for being a bad person while they themselves have driven drunk.

Over under on 90%. It'd be the over.

13. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    I havent driven after drinking ever. Paranoid to the core about it. Even one drink and I am like nope. Now Ive made my fair share of mistakes even more than my share just not that one.
    Im just glad he didnt hurt anyone. Its a weird line I cant say Im indignant about it, he made a mistake, we all do. Thats a really bad mistake to make though, and the consequences can be bad.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  14. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    Not to excuse it at all but almost anyone drinking at a holiday party starting from Thanksgiving - New Year's is at least somewhat intoxicated. I have police officer clients that say they could pull over every car possible on a New Year's Eve or Super Bowl Sunday and the vast majority would be over .08.

Of course it was a bad mistake but that doesn't dismiss the good/productive career he has had or the work he has done in the community for Little League baseball, Special Olympics etc. Calling for a firing from something he will most likely get diversion for seems a bit much especially when it had nothing to do with his job.

PHXBlazer1 and Stevenson like this.
  15. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    I'm not really sure how I feel about the job stuff. Should every one who has had a DUI or done something reckless that could've harmed someone else not be able to provide for their families? That seems like it would just cause many more issues. At the same time that particular job, is sponsored by a bunch of local breweries and he goes to bars to a lot "as part of his job". I could see why they could say that maybe he's got a problem with Alcohol and that job isn't helping him, or at least it could look bad.

kjironman1 likes this.
  16. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    I'm not sure if this was directed at anything I said but to me I just have a problem with how he handled it last week. If he was taking his own advice towards others who mess up or hope no one finds out then he should have gotten out in front of it when he returned to work last Thursday.

In his apology he pretty much says he had to address it because of the article. That makes it way worse than if that same apology happened last week. Instead he went on the air acting like nothing happened and making his usual drinking jokes which were in very poor taste. He also said in his apology that he has spent the last week reflecting deeply about it which is complete BS if you go back and listen to his two shows last week.

I don't really care if he was told by management to keep it under wraps. Who knows if he even told them. It's the same as these college programs he rags on for protecting the program.

Then his comment about how he was not going to read any texts yesterday kind of pissed me off, he should be forced to read every single one.

Like I said, I really like Ropp and am a loyal listener.

BonesJones and TorturedBlazerFan like this.
  17. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

I said it in a general sense. There is the overwhelming amount of people who will bash him for something they themselves have done, they just werent caught.

TBpup, kjironman1 and Natebishop3 like this.
  18. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    Yeah, I've done it too. I think for some people it's kind of a relief when you finally get caught so maybe it is the thing you need to stop doing it.

PHXBlazer1 likes this.
  19. The Professional Fan

The Professional Fan Big League Scrub

I can't believe how high and mighty some of you are being. Unfucking real how perfect you are. I aspire to be able to cast such judgement over something that people do all the time

I hope Ropp is doing ok. He's a good dude.

PHXBlazer1 and oldmangrouch like this.
  20. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

I'm old enough to remember when the legal blood alcohol level was .15. The it was reduced to .12. The it was reduced to .08. If you ever serve on the jury in a DUI trial, the judge will tell you point blank that bad or dangerous driving is NOT an element of the crime.

Drunk driving is a serious matter. The catch is, you can be hit with the legal charge of "DUI" without engaging in what most people think of when they hear the words "drunk driving."

PHXBlazer1 and TBpup like this.