Portland Trail Blazers' Most Potent Weapon: Versatility

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Foulzilla, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Foulzilla

Foulzilla No Blood, No Foul.

This is from a couple days ago, but I didn't see it until today so thought it worth discussing.

From The Bleacher Report

I'm a little unclear on their number system. Looking at most of them it appears to be the number of positions they can play, however a few defy that. For example, Oden is a 2 despite being referenced as strictly a Center. Also, Batum is a 1 despite being referenced as a SF who could play SG. So I guess they mean more of versatility in skills. Personally I would rate Aldridge's versatility higher then Frye's, even though Frye is more likely to be stuck out of position due to Aldridge being more focal. I also think that Blake is being underrated as he's shown himself versatile enough to play off the ball with Brandon, or leading the team from the point as needed.

2. Piltzer

Piltzer The Intern

Unpaid Office Suport Intern
    There were a few things they forgot to cover in my opinion as well, Aldridge is working on his handles and if he gets that to a certain level he could also potentially be used as a small forward against bigger lineups. Outlaw as well if he shows improvement in that area could also be used sparingly as a 2. And if Oden ever gets enough range he could potentially ply the 4 why he would do this I don't know but he could. We could have a line up of

Pg. Brandon Roy
    Sg. Travis Outlaw
    Sf. LaMarcus Aldridge
    Pf. Greg Oden
    C. Joel Pryzbilla

It is sort of a joke line up but it could work because these players are in fact versatile and athletic. Travis has shown that he can add whole new dimensions to his game in a year and I think all the others are possible, however we would only do this for entertainment purposes in my opinion or against the Eastern Conference. Sort of how in the Bird years there was that one game against the Blazers when he only shot left handed.