Exclusive Portland's homelessness problem (or lack thereof)

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Orion Bailey, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

This is pretty much what I see too.

I've driven Stark from downtown to mall 2305 3 times a week for the last decade almost, for example. I don't remember a day not seeing homeless.

You can consider it the same for Division, Powell, Foster as well.

I took a few pics of a large camp in NW the other day that I will post this weekend along with others I will take.

Not sure why i'm putting the effort into proving my point, maybe because its the standoffish attitude I received for voicing my opinion)
    I'm pretty confused at the attacks I have received for simply pointing out what I see and then referring to articles that back up my view.

2. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    thanks. That's why I explained my ability to observe rather than look at a map that has little black dots on it that could reflect as few as one person and my observation is more current information than 2017. This is late 2018 now. Things change. :smiley-smiley-049:

3. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Didn't think you could refrain from quoting me, but I will try again to be civil in this and move forward with you.

These studies take time. There is more than likely little data for this year yet available. You also said you lived here for 35 years and it was much worse, but now your saying its gotten better between 2017 and now.

Things DO change. The homeless population has changed over the last decade-15 years, (which are the years i have been discussing the whole time for the most part) I believe it has gotten worse and the maps and and links back my opinion up.

You have yet to provide anything to back your opinion up other than your years of existence. So forgive me if I take your opinion with a grain of salt.

Now, has the homeless situation improved over the last year? Possibly visually ( if you would have read the article I linked) because more are now in shelters and emergency housing, but they are STILL homeless, just not as visible because in the last year there has been a focus on these shelters. It doesn't change the numbers though just because you cant see as many of them.

Seriously, I suggest you read the article. It will back up both of our points, it will explain why you see less of them but also back up my opinion that there are still just as many if not more, than a year ago.

4. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

@PtldPlatypus

Not sure if it matters or not, but this thread is a mess, lol. Wanna change the title to "Portland's Homeless problem or lack of" ?

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  5. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Sure, why not.

SlyPokerDog and Orion Bailey like this.
  6. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

As a general rule, attempting to prove any disputed point on the internet is mostly a fruitless endeavor. I'll usually take a post or two to defend my position or observations, but anything more than that is rarely worth the effort, especially when met with contentiousness.

MarAzul and Orion Bailey like this.
  7. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    Can someone give me the Reader's Digest version of the issue being debated in this thread please? If so, I will give you the definitive answer as to who is right and who is wrong.

8. CupWizier

retired
    I don't recall anyone saying homelessness doesn't exist and that it isn't a problem. I'm disputing that it's as bad as what bailey wants to make it out to be. Yes, the most prevalent areas are around by freeway on and off ramps but what I use to see on Powell if I headed to i-205 or Eastport area has diminished significantly. bailey then has gotten all butthurt because some of us share our own experiences that don;t agree that it has infiltrated almost all of east Portland. He seems to be of the mindset that only his opinion is right.

9. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Oh I fully admit one of my biggest faults is assuming everyone is of an open mind enough for me to try to get them to see the other side. And I'm blind to when they are blind and I just continue beating that horse. :)

But I took some shit over my opinion, that was pretty uncalled for I think.

Anyhow....

Love to see or hear more thoughts on this. I havent walked every sidewalk in town, and I doubt anyone has, so depending on where you reside, your opinion may differ greatly.

10. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

No, I didn't get butt hurt, but I did get annoyed that in expressing your opinions, you totally degraded me. I didn't do that to anyone here until people went all sarcastic on me. Proofs in the history of the threads.

So lets dissect your Powell commute you used to see them on and then not so much anymore. You know these people migrate right? They are kicked out of one area and move to another. Doesn't mean they got housing.

If you think I believe my mindset is the right one, then you are correct. It is my opinion. IF you disagree, then provide info that supports it. OR you wont be take nseriously. I would expect the same if the roles were reversed.
    I'm not degrading you for your opinion, I'm asking you to back it up with some proof. If you cant, fine, but don't put me down while your NOT at it.....

If I was butt hurt I wouldn't respond to you.... Now play civil please.

11. CupWizier

retired
    I am done. No longer interested in this subject. You also totally misrepresented what I said when I said I have lived in SE Portland for around 35 years. Enjoy your thread.

12. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Got it. unable to play civil. Thanks again for your input. It was appreciated.

13. CupWizier

retired
    So being civil is attacking me with a cheap shot? What a piece of work you are and why I see so many people take issue with having a discussion with you.

Sayonara.

Feel free to take another snarky cheap shot so we can all see your idea of a "civil" discussion.

14. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Thought you were done?

Thanks again for your input.

15. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

This isn't snark????

Man.... some people dish it out but cant take it.

I was being civil with you. It isn't a cheap shot to say one cant play civil when you ask them to and they say they are done, that's a connection not being snarky.

Sorry if now your butt hurt by that connection, lol.

bodyman5000 and 1 likes this.
  16. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    I walked from Salmon st down 6th ave to the train station maybe a month ago. The place was appalling! It no longer even resembles the city I once worked in daily. Not the occasional guy sleeping on the sidewalk, but people spread a blanket, with pillow ready to go to lala land from the shit they shoot in there arm right there on the street.

Sort of funny in a way, that part of town turned over to the pedestrians with the Max the only vehicle traffic. No one riding the Max though, no one wants to go down there unless you are catching a train out of town. Lord what a place.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  17. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    Pretty sure his only gripe is the obvious double standard generally apllied/not applied. OB doesn’t strike me as emotionally fragile.

18. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Lol, Thanks, Yeah if I was emotionally fragile, Id have alot of people on ignore and wouldn't try to resume conversations with those I butt heads with. But that's me.

bodyman5000 and 1 and MarAzul like this.
  19. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    I have another take, don't edit post unless you know everything. It has become tedious.

bodyman5000 and 1 and MARIS61 like this.
  20. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    Your neighborhood boundaries are ridiculously inaccurate.

Orion Bailey likes this.