Trade Idea Post and Discuss Trade Ideas for the 2019-20 Season

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by hoopsjock, Nov 6, 2019.

1. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

He's not just a points/rebound stuffer. I always look at assist percentages for big guys. His career assist % is 16% and it's 21% this year. That puts him closer to someone like Domantas Sabonis, who is also a 20/12/4 assist kind of player. Domas AST% is at 17.5% and for reference Nurk was 17.9% last year and we saw how his playmaking opened things up for the rest of the team. Same with Mason Plumlee before him. He may be better as a center, but his skillset is something that would mesh with Dame.

Basically, our best player is a pick and roll god, so to maximize his effectiveness we need a pick and roll threat who can pass and make plays out of the short roll, and Randle's skillset definitely fits that mold. I'm watching Dame play at an MVP level trying to run pick and rolls with Hassan Whiteside. He's destroying teams that are trapping him as well. I can't imagine how turned up our offense would be with someone who is actually a good pick and roll big. Could you imagine when we get Nurk back? Having one of Nurk or Randle on the floor at all times. Our offense would be unstoppable.

Paine Tablet likes this.
  2. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    Steve Mills is like, hey I thought signing a team of just PF's would work, it's definitely Fizdale's fault lol...

hoopsjock likes this.
  3. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    Not sure how I feel about Randle, he's really not that old yet, but the Knicks absolutely get a big giant F for their off-season and it's mostly because they didn't even really attempt to build a team...

hoopsjock likes this.
  4. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Interesting note about passing.

But doesn't it give you pause that two of his previous teams were perfectly fine letting him walk, and Knicks fans can't stand him already?

We see Hezonja come into our culture and struggle to break bad habits. Hassan, to an extent, is also struggling to make an impact even if his stats are where they always are. Tolliver does nothing to impact wins. Even Baze has developed a penchant for making blunders on defense and taking horrible shots. A team can only sustain so many of these guys without letting it affect the win-loss record negatively. Think we're saturated with them now. I'd rather take on an inferior talent who has won in the past and can do the little things needed to win now.

Here are Dame's comments about Hassan, for example:
    And his comments about how to win after the BK game:

He has enough egos to manage without spending more time teaching guys how to win. Oddly enough, I think he desperately needs Pau to come back.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    BonesJones likes this.
  5. illmatic99

Just have to take a second to consider how blessed we are to have Dame as our team's leader.

Very few players in this league who can manage all the stuff he does, through adversity.

UKRAINEFAN, rotary111 and hoopsjock like this.
  6. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

I understand the concerns, but I think in the end talent wins out. You mention all the losers on our team right now. We're losing games because we're short on talent. Half the team is injured, including some of the best (Nurk) and some of the most important (Zach, Rodney).

The counter point I give is Zach Randolph. How many years did Randolph meander around the league before he became a "winner"? It wasn't until Memphis that the perception around him changed. It wasn't until Memphis that he started winning games. It wasn't until Memphis that he had enough talent to start winning.

Randle's not a star, but he's talented. We need that right now.

7. illmatic99

Could happen, I suppose. What NY fans are saying about him now is verbatim what we used to say about ZBo.

8. Cugel

Cugel The epitome of mediocrity

Canvas Repairman
    NYN are one f'd up organization. Boggles the mind. So clear that Fiz is on the way out from that "news" conference. Like it's his fault. The owner is a bona fide moron.

9. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    CJ for Lauri Markkanen (+fillers)

10. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

I believe the priority will be/should be be a power forward they can acquire without sacrificing a guy like Simons (you’re nuts if you think we’re gonna get a Blake Griffin without including Simons and/or Collins.) Something similar to trading for Hood last season.

Marvin Williams is on an expiring and has had his role reduced as Charlotte focuses on their younger players. He is a prime trade candidate much like Hood was last season. Spaces the court, defends, and brings experience.

Marvin and Biyombo for Whiteside (and a pick) would work financially.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    illmatic99 likes this.
  11. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

Me too. Magic aren't trading him though....

12. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    34 days until the flood gates open. Once most of the league is actually available to be traded I think there will be some teams that will be instant sellers. A lot can happen between now and then though.

13. illmatic99

I really like that idea. Would also not cause any chemistry issues if/when Nurk and Zach return as these two can seamlessly go to the bench.

14. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

You guys are okay with Biyombo as our starting center for 3 months? Oh boy if you think Whiteside is bad....

GDiama likes this.
  15. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

who suggested that? It would be done only after Nurk returned. Biyombo is just salary filler.

16. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

NYK have been one of my potential deal ideas.

I'd love to get Mitchell Robinson before the Knicks ruin his career. He'd be my #1 target to get. I also love the idea of Ntilikina.

Would Blazer fans be upset with a CJ trade that returned these two?

Maybe CJ + Tolliver for Robinson + Ntilikina + Randle (or Portis). I'd prefer Portis to Randle, but I think it would have to be Randle to make a legal trade.

Portland would get a stop gap PF for the rest of the next 2 years. But they'd also get some good young prospects - one of which I think can be a star (Mitchell).

17. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

Ya because getting another young up and coming but unproven player is going to help Dame win now!

18. illmatic99

Hopefully not 3 months, but for about 10-15 games max. Is he that bad?

19. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

Under that premise you're waiting to make this trade at the deadline, but we need front court help now. We need 5 months of Marvin Williams, not 2. And you're assuming Nurk comes back as a good player, which I don't think you can count on for this season.

20. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

He's got Joel Przybilla hands.