Trade Idea Post and Discuss Trade Ideas for the 2019-20 Season

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by hoopsjock, Nov 6, 2019.

1. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

Dallas has a need at center, an owner who is willing to spend, and a plethora of reasonable long term deals + expirings to match.

2. GhostOfPGA

GhostOfPGA The late great Paul Allen

Something like Lee, Kleber, and Brunson would be interesting.

Kleber being the big acquisition. Really like his ability to stretch the floor.

3. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

Whiteside + Mario -> Lee + Wright

4. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

Lee is their only expiring deal. I'd imagine Dallas would trade Lee for Ariza in a heartbeat, but that's not a good trade for Portland

Cuban has done an excellent job of managing his payroll

oldmangrouch likes this.
  5. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

Lee + Powell for Whiteside + Hezonja.

Lee + any of their rotation guys for Whiteside + Hezonja.

6. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

why would Dallas do any of those trades without the Blazers adding some significant incentive?

7. GDiama

GDiama Well-Known Member

Man what are you talking about? Houston isn't giving up Capela for Hassan. Adding PJ to this deal? Yes if we give up our first round pick they might consider it but i still think they ll hang up the phone.

8. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

Because they value Whiteside and his bird rights as a player? They actually have a need for a rim protecting center and Whiteside is a better player than Powell who's minutes he would just slide into. I've seen Mavs fans propose similar trades on other sites. Whether the Mavs would actually do it or not, who knows, but the value isn't that off.

9. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    If ducking the tax is the primary objective:

1) Need to find a team that wants Whiteside or values his expiring over contracts with remaining years and would be willing to do what Sacramento did where they add salary this year but it's offset by not paying guys next year.

2) Dallas is the key like @B-Roy said, but unless they really value Whiteside it might be difficult to trade directly with them. What would be more likely is finding a player that fits into their TPE on another team that they'd want for free or for 2nd round picks. In a direct trade with Dallas the problem is roster spots for Portland so they'd almost have to be willing to take on Hezonja and Swanigan in addition to whatever they gave up for him.

Something like Whiteside to Chicago, Young to Portland, and Satoransky to Dallas. Gets the Blazers WAY below the tax.

10. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

Dallas can trade Lee+Powell for Whiteside, it works. They can then take on Hezonja with their TPE. Or the Blazers can waive Caleb or Wenyen. There isn't a roster spot issue. They can also take Rodney Hood and get the Blazers under the tax line. I'm not sure if the Blazers would do that. Presumably they still value Hood some, and I don't know if Dallas wants to take dead weight going into next season. But given the history of guys coming back from achilles injuries, I'd feel bad but not terrible if the Blazers let him go.

Not sure why Chicago would want Whiteside though.

11. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    See I think Powell fits Dallas better than Whiteside would so I don't see them making that trade. They really like Powell and just locked him up on a good deal. Hood has a no trade clause and took less money to stay in Portland. He's not going anywhere.

Chicago wouldn't want Whiteside, they'd want his expiring deal (like I said in my post) to get out of two contracts they signed this past off season for multiple years that aren't having a positive impact on them winning this year.

12. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Noooo chance that Culture Neil(™️) trades an injured guy, who took less to stay, away.

13. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Dallas runs pretty much the same system Portland does, it’s why the Blazers always send guys to the Texas Legends. Whiteside would be a significant upgrade for them, and Doncic is an elite passer, so he would get Whiteside easier looks than here in Portland, specifically lobs.

BBert and B-Roy like this.
  14. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

I think Whiteside is a pretty seamless fit in Dallas. A lot of his struggles offensively would be mitigated by having a playmaker like Doncic. He'd basically get the same looks Powell got. Maybe he's not as good offensively, but he makes up for it defensively and with his rebounding.

15. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    I figured out why my number for ducking the tax was off by $1.25 million. Every calculation I made I was getting that we were still $7.3 million over the tax while others were reporting it was down to $6.3 million. Nurk's bonuses were earned last year so this year they were deemed "likely" to be earned. Since he hasn't played he won't earn his bonus this year so they are preemptively removing his $1.25 million bonus. Next year we will have the opposite problem as his contract will go back to being "unlikely" to earn the bonus but if he does we'd owe more than his contract is shown.

To duck the tax completely we'd have to take back less than 20,788,876 in a trade for just Whiteside or add to that whatever other salaries are included (like Hezonja).

16. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    I really hope you guys are right but if I had to guess I don't think Whiteside has that much trade value.

Edit: I mean as a player despite his skillset, as a contract it still have value.

17. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

idk what his value is, I was just saying he’d fit Dallas basketball wise.

hoopsjock likes this.
  18. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

hmmm, more moves coming?

19. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

Seems like they're just retaining flexibility.

20. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Yeah but it wouldn’t make as much sense if they were actually throwing in the towel this season.