Trade Idea Post and Discuss Trade Ideas for the 2019-20 Season

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by hoopsjock, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Neil O. Shyster

Neil O. Shyster Well-Known Member

This guy defends CJ’s defense but thinks Whiteside is empty stats... smh

2. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

CJ is abused all the time defensively, and his length and size is one reason. IIRC, his wingspan is about 1.5 inches less than Dame's

I mentioned Toronto but they aren't "far smaller"; Lowry, Powell, and Van Vleet are all very physical players for their size, and size is part of the equation. The Kings have 6'4 Heild, and 6'6 Bogdanovic has replaced Heild lately as a starter. Utah runs 6'7 Ingles at SG a lot of the time. None of the Clippers top-5 lineups have Beverly and Williams, and of course, Beverly is a very good defender so it's not quite the same thing. They also have 6'5 Shamet, and Harkless spends 41% of his minutes at SG if bbref is to be believed

the main thing though is that Dame and CJ have the same defensive deficiencies (as well as some offensive redundancies). Dame/Matthews was a better pairing on both ends of the floor because they didn't have so many overlapping weaknesses and weren't as redundant on offense.

3. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Please quote where I said "Whiteside is empty stats".

If you can't, then delete this crap.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    UKRAINEFAN likes this.
  4. BonesJones

That's the generic narrative, but it's overstating what's actually happening out there on the floor.

Hield's barely over 6'3 without shoes, but sure, lets argue a half an inch because it's so important. But you're going to argue whatever angle you can get here "Well these guys are physical, this guy is playing more than this guy now, this guy runs SG with the bench unit, Harkless plays 40% of his minutes at SG (seriously?)..." That's why I can't even have a legitimate conversation with you.

And did you seriously use the "redundant" argument as if having two good 3-level scorers at the guard spots who can play off each other is a BAD thing? Haha. Okay. If we didn't have that redundancy, we don't win Game 7 of the WCSF last year, and there's many other games like that where we need a second go-to scorer since Dame is either struggling or teams are loading up on him.

At this point, I'm convinced you'd HATE the idea of having two Lillard's at the guard spots, because they'd be "too small" and "too redundant".

5. BonesJones

And how the hell would Minnesota trade RoCo and Dieng without anything else and get back Russell?

6. BonesJones

I'm debating the narrative that "CJ's defense sucks because he's too small" narrative. The only glaring weakness with his defense is actually his off-ball defense, which isn't height based. He's not a good on-ball defender, but he's not horrible and he doesn't get killed for a lack of size like people try to claim. SGs in today's NBA don't post up, or face up, and a couple inch difference doesn't have some insanely huge impact on CJs defense like people claim.

RR7 likes this.
  7. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

Here's a serious question for CJ fans. How good would somebody like Trent have to get before you would be willing to trade CJ for an upgrade at another position? (EG would his becoming another Wes Matthews be enough?)

8. BonesJones

I'm not a huge "CJ-fan", dude gets too much undue hate though.

But to answer your question, if Trent became a consistent 40% 3pt shooter with really good and we didn't have forwards at that level on the roster and we got a 3-and-D forward that was better than CJ, then I'd entertain it. But I think trading him is playing with fire, so it'd take the right situation.

As far as Trent goes though, I'm not sure he's a good enough ball handler to be a starting SG. I think he's more of a SF.

9. Neil O. Shyster

I don’t think the hate is undue... he is gonna make 30+ mil for the next 4 seasons. He is paid like a superstar but plays like more of a Lou Williams/Jamal Crawford role as a microwave offensive player with poor defense... and his ISO ball mentality makes It even worse... it’s the fact that the money could be spent elsewhere and a guy like Trent could fill in admirably

tester551 likes this.
  10. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    Don't confuse someone saying Whiteside needs to be traded with people saying he is lazy and has empty stats. Bones has defended Whiteside all season on his shows.

BonesJones likes this.
  11. Neil O. Shyster

My bad

hoopsjock likes this.
  12. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

I was thinking about him. I'd like to see him on the Blazers...
    What do the Suns need? Any hope for a trade there?

13. Neil O. Shyster

My bad... I saw your constant posts of wanting him traded so I thought you also posted the empty stats argument

hoopsjock likes this.
  14. BonesJones

I've said many times that me wanting to trade him isn't based on him as a player or his play.

15. BonesJones

Almost anyone who gets 21-22 PPG is worth a max contract. Since Game 11, CJ's been decently efficient as well. He started the season in a slump but has been really good since then.

CJ has improved his style of play offensively and his playmaking for others has seen an uptick but CJ-haters don't want to admit that.

Lou Williams is probably worth $20M+. He doesn't play CJ's minutes though, but on a per minute basis he's an elite offensive players.

I just don't understand how a MAX contract for a guy getting 22/4/4 with decent efficiency is greatly overpaying someone... Doesn't make sense to me.

16. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

idk, give em Swanigan.

17. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

I can't help it if you've convinced yourself of something that's just dumb

Two Lillards would be a hell of a lot better than what Portland has because that would increase the talent in the back court and on the team immensely, and of course, teams wouldn't be able to trap Lillard1 or Lillard2 anymore because the other would take over. That kind of redundancy would be better than the redundancy they currently have

18. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

I'd LOVE to have two Lillard's. The issue is CJ is not in Lillards league as a player. Never has been & never will be.

Dame is so good, he has a net positive impact on the team.
    CJ is usually a net neutral.

19. beast crnjo

beast crnjo Well-Known Member

We could probably get Derrick rose with our first. Imagine having him off the bench next year when we're full strength.

PtldPlatypus likes this.
  20. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

If the current trade buzz is accurate, the general market for young frontcourt players is robust, with league executives saying both the Indiana Pacers' Myles Turner and the Atlanta Hawks' John Collins, big men with the ability to switch between power forward and center, are on the trading block.
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles...rs-clips-d-rose-might-shake-up-trade-deadline

That article also makes it sound like Harrell might be available with the clippers looking for a legit center. We can’t take Harkless so maybe a three team trade with Sacramento.

lamlor likes this.