Post-deadline Olshey Keep or Fire

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BonesJones, Feb 8, 2018.

?

What to do with Olshey?

1. Keep Him

23 vote(s)
    23.0%
  2. I don't know/On the fence

20 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Fire Him

57 vote(s)
    57.0%
  1. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

OKay, Name a GM who would want to come here that didnt/// fuck up.

Ainge? LMAO....

Again the goal is to get better. So which of the few that didnt fuck up, do you really think wants to be in Portland?

2. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    Yes, because Jim guaranteed that the team would be competitive again within a few years and they weren't even close.

3. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    I think we don't have the TPE and Plums would be re-signed.

Then you wouldn't be easily able to use that $20M under the apron, and you'd have a much lesser roster to start with.

FWIW

Orion Bailey likes this.
  4. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I'm responding to @hoopsjock based on the terms of the scenario he gave. If you'd like to change the terms of the scenario, then we're having a completely different discussion.

5. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    That will last a year or two, but be unsustainable. You just can't fit 2 $30M/year guards into the same team without financial hell. McCollum must go.

6. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    I have good news for you. CJ's contract never goes over $30 million and Lillard's contract only does in the final year.

7. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    I think we should stick to reality.
    :-)

8. PtldPlatypus

By...altering reality even further for the sake of the hypothetical. Sounds good. :smiley-bonk:

kjironman1 likes this.
  9. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    I'm talking about the Orwellian future...in which Olshey is still negotiating contracts.

10. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    All things given in your scenario, there would be no incentive to move Plums. That we're $20M under the apron would make it useful to re-sign him. That and his fit was good with us.

Just sayin'.

11. PtldPlatypus

Not unlikely, but still a different discussion

12. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    If we didn't sign Turner, CJ's contract extension would pretty much eat up our entire cap space and we'd have wasted that $25M in cap space.

13. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Fact of the matter is Olshey is continually saying that Paul Allen will spend money and he will work to improve this team. I just think it was prudent to get under the tax threshold this year and save it for the next couple years.
    To answer the original question. Olshey isn't going anywhere. The Blazers will continue to improve and a whole bunch of posters on here will see that this team is going to compete. Trust the process.
    Another thing a whole bunch of people on here have seemed to miss is the projected cap levels. Eventually those levels will indeed increase at the rates expected. I believe this years jump will exceed expectations. That will give him more room to work with.

Denny Crane likes this.
  14. lamlor

lamlor Well-Known Member

Not sure if this was already posted, but it just comes down as another Olshey fail.

Marco Belinelli says Blazers tried to sign him during press conference

15. PtldPlatypus

We used it to sign albatross Turner and Festus DNPzeli. We did waste the $25M in cap space.

UKRAINEFAN likes this.
  16. Schilly

Schilly Well-Known Member

I'm going to stick with my interpretation of the situation... Basic summary, Neil came in took over a team that was meh... Made moves to get Robin Lopez and others to go around Lamarcus, had the team moving on a better trajectory then Wesleys Achilles blew out which changed everything. I think then Lamarcus decided going to the Spurs was a better career move for him. Okay fine we have a young PG and an unproven but talented young SG to build with let's punt on our cap space for 2016, fill out the roster with reasonable contracts a couple moves for young athletic guys, team is going to be horrific so we'll be adding a top 5 pick to a ton of capspace let's see what happens.... Boom we made the playoffs in large part due to the emergence of CJ. Then Neil also learned a hard Lesson every GM has to learn in Portland, Free Agent's don't come here. Sure the history was their but most GM's confidence will suggest they can do it better. Something else was coming down the pipe that needed to be a point of interest, CJ's was looking like a Max player for the Summer of 2017 and he needed to be extended. Portland wasn't in a position to have significant enough cap space in 2017 so it was more important to retain assets in 2016 than it was to let the cap space slip. We can argue the miss' the hits' etc... Harkless at the time seemed reasonable. We don't know the behind the scenes negotiating for Meyers, it could well be that he received an offer and Portland agreed to match it without an offer sheet to keep the cap flexibility in place, we simply don't know. Crabbe, people would have been ticked about letting him go if we had, and he was looking like a guy who could step in if CJ's extension became problematic. You can go down the list and while most of the Fire Olshey crew only wants to use a hindsight metric, I try to evaluate whether what he did at the time made sense and it's mostly yes it did, with a couple of hiccups, but you can say that about every GM.

BTW I personally would never fault a GM for a free agent deciding to sign elsewhere especially when limited resources due to cap and luxury implications are in play. Bellinelli for example we could only offer a Veterans Minimum, Philadelphia still has cap space so likely offered more, especially at a prorated rate. Can't blame Marco for taking more money when any of us would have done the same.

17. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

I don't think he's bsing, I think he & Paul have objective criteria they want to achieve, measurable objective goals not subjective. Is he going to meet them all? Probably not! Are some weighted more than others, I'm guessing yes!
    My guess is if Neil isn't contending in year 5, year after this, Neil may be moving on? However, if he is, give the man a performance raise!

18. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Guess it's all in the way you look at things. I would have considered it a fail to NOT try to sign him.

19. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Im sure no one will suggest a decent replacement that would put us in immediate contention or hasn't already screwed up somewhere!

Orion Bailey likes this.
  20. PtldPlatypus

Again, if you look back at the board comments in July 2016, there were plenty of people who opined:
    A) $70M for Turner was ridiculous, even in the new economy;
    B) $75M for Crabbe was unreasonable, even in the new economy;
    C) $41M for Meyers made no sense, regardless of what any other team might have offered him;
    D) Extending CJ was unnecessary, since we could just as easily max him in RFA summer of 2017.​

If a wide-swath of ignorant message-board geeks could reach several if not all of those conclusions at the time (not solely in hindsight), it's not unreasonable to think that Olshey should have been able to see some of them.