Trade Potential Damian Lillard Trade

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Mr. Robot, Mar 21, 2023.

?

Who would you want as a central piece for Dame Lillard

1. Tyrese Maxey (22 yo)

15.6%
  2. Jaylen Brown (26 yo)

40.6%
  3. Jamal Murray (26 yo)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Scottie Barnes (21 yo)

34.4%
  5. Allen & Garland

3.1%
  6. Murray & Porter Jr

12.5%
  7. Brandon Ingram (25 yo)

3.1%
  8. Mobley & Garland

62.5%
  9. De'Aaron Fox

3.1%
  10. Bam Adebayo (25 yo)

15.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Predator

Predator The Godfather

The “haul” of picks isn’t what we are talking about.
    We are talking the actual results.
    Not potential results.
    But actual results.

It is “very” rare for the draft to end up “chalk” where the best players are picked in the correct order.

Which is why trading for a bunch of picks rarely works.

Because getting those picks right is HARD.

Of course with hindsight it’s easy to say “Oh yeah they shouldn’t have drafted that guy, they should’ve drafted that guy instead”…

2. Predator

Predator The Godfather

I would say the measurable is this:

Is your franchise in a better place than it was 2-3 years following the trade? How much longer does it take for a team to reach a “new” level of potential on average? 5 years? 10 years?

That’s another thing with having a billion picks as a return.

My kid’s kids will be finishing college by the team all the picks convey (obvious hyperbole) but you’re often looking at a pretty long time horizon.

3. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    Sadly, the actual results on the court have taken us to the place where we finished as a sub .500 team 3 of the last 4 years, and are now inline for our second lottery pick in a row.

4. Predator

Predator The Godfather

Also, you have to look at which of those picks actually convert to worthwhile players. Is it the pick they received in the trade? Or is it the pick they received for sucking?

5. Predator

Predator The Godfather

Ok, that has literally nothing to do with what I originally stated.

I never said don’t trade Dame. I said don’t trade Dame for picks because it hardly ever works out.

6. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    And I was just commenting on actual on-court results and where it has led this team.

7. Fairly-Hard

Fairly-Hard Former Member Gone New!

In a draft like this would you trade Lillard for a #1 pick? Straight swap. Lets take the Magic for instance? They obviously have Banchero or even the Thunder with Chet? If either of those teams were to get lucky and get the number one pick? Now i understand the Thunder might make the playoffs. But would they be interested in Lillard with their roster as opposed to adding Wemby? If they ended up in the Lottery it could happen? I would assume the Rockets and Spurs would not do that deal. I don't think the Pistons would either?
    Who would be willing to make that phone call depending on who gets that pick to see if they would take Lillard for what a bunch of people are calling a "Generational Talent"?

Now if it's me i would not be willing to trade Lillard. My reasoning is way too many #1 picks don't work out. I have always been in the "You don't trade proven for unproven" class but this year might make a few of those people question their stance?

8. Samuel

Samuel James “Hollywood” Robinson

Picks are also something you can repackage and trade. Their fungibility is sort of the point—their value isn’t just in the ability to draft a player.

blazerkor likes this.
  9. Predator

Predator The Godfather

The issue with this is, if you’re a tanking team, you’re not going to trade those picks for mediocre upgrades - which is what those picks would fetch.

And an elite player isn’t going to request a trade to a rebuilding team.

So if you trade Dame for picks, pretty much the only value they have is for drafting players.

Especially considering most of those picks are likely to be mid-late first rounders, especially in the beginning stages of conveying.

Like I said in the beginning, trading a star for a bunch of picks almost never works out. I’m not even sure it ever has.

Now if it becomes a 3 way type trade where Portland redirects those picks for players, fine. But not interested in picks.

10. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm not interested in trading Dame regardless of the return. If it was a great return like a young all star, a couple future firsts that wouldn't be very early picks and let's say expiring contracts or role players with reasonable contracts it would still be painful.

I think that those fans of our team who don't think we can make moves that give us a reasonable shot at winning a title with Dame have limited imaginations and I'm not talking about the fantastic part of their imagination, I'm talking about the realistic part. If someone doesn't think there are scenarios where we can win big with Dame, I actually think they are being unrealistic.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  11. BlayZa

BlayZa Misbehaving responsibly

Media/Advertisng
    thread in /nba on reddit around the possibility re Dame being shut down for the rest of the regular season

always interesting to read other fans comments around the team

12. BankTeller

BankTeller Well-Known Member

A team I’d love to see be interested in Dame if he wanted out would be NOP. They got a ton of young talent and the remaining 1sts from the Lakers. From a talent standpoint, they could get rid of a lot and still have a competitive team to put around Dame with.

I think a package of

Ingram
    Murphy or Jones
    Daniels

+

3-4 1sts

That would be enough for me to stomach parting ways with Dame if he wanted out. If keeping our lotto pick leads to him wanting out, I’d still lean towards keeping the pick.

13. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

14. Ripcity4life77

Ripcity4life77 Well-Known Member

I am SO SO tired of seeing Dame trade idea's when this will prolly not happen at least this offseason cause sounds like he is willing to try again but my gut and that means jack BEEP but my gut tells me this offseason is the Blazers last chance to do something that shows some dedication to trying to win not just lip service. If the Blazers DO not come through this offseason and the results are not seen next season then I would not be surprised at all to see Dame do a 180 and ask out I hope I am wrong but a feeling I am getting. -- of course might be heartburn or gas -- LOL

BigGameDamian likes this.