Power Forward of the Future

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Boob-No-More, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Trackjack

Trackjack Well-Known Member

This kid hasn't produce nothing against good teams in the PAC 12 he is soft has hell we already got one those his name is ML.

AFully22 likes this.
  2. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I have not been that high on him either for the same reason you stated above, and have said as much. But I must admit after watching him a little more closely since he has entered our draft conversations, I do see why he is rated so highly on the mocks. His "potential" is pretty high. Granted he could be another Bargnani but the guy does have a beautiful shot and his ball handling is much better than most other 7 footers. His tournament games should tell us more.

3. Trackjack

Trackjack Well-Known Member

We need as close to two way players as we can. This one way player stuff need to go especially during the draft.

Pinwheel1 likes this.
  4. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

I would be okay drafting a strict defensive stud who can catch lobs. Like a PF version of DeAndre Jordan (with better ft% hopefully).

5. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

I like your take & agree with most of what you said.

What about Caleb Swainagan? I don't hear him mentioned a lot, but I think he has a lot of potential.

6. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

That would be fine, but I am not sure that type of PF would compliment Harkless or ET at the 3. IMO we need either our SF or PF to be an excellent shooter.

7. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

I agree, it's a real catch 22 but maybe we could make a deal to get that 3 who can create. Paul George would be so god damn ideal but so unrealistic :(

8. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    I think it could be Vonleh if they would just use him. Tonight against DET was just another example. He scored the first 5 points of the game and then the Blazers never went back to him again.....for the rest of the half. He had a couple of rebounds, an assist and was a +12. Then Stotts plants his butt on the bench for most of the rest of the half. Then he'll get 6-7 minutes to start the 2nd half and then he'll sit for the rest of the game.

9. Nate

Nate #itsokaytobewhite #wakandaforever BANNED

Tater totts drives me insane.

TBpup likes this.
  10. craigehlo

craigehlo Elite Wing

Vonleh is a backup at best. Low hoops IQ, questionable jumper and is just a tad short to guard a lot of opposing PFs. I'd be much happier drafting a a new starter than counting on him making any sort of next level jump.

11. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

Yeah nothing Vonleh does is impressive to me. Play finisher with a shaky jumper and struggles in traffic. Unless he shoots the 3, he's not even an average offensive player going forward.

Defensively he's agile but foul prone. Not overly smart or instinctive either. Will make a nice contest at the rim here and there, but he doesn't have the size to be a major presence at the rim.

12. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Vonleh has his issues but when he plays with confidence, he is good at quite a few things. He scored the first 5 points of the game and they can't get him a shot for the rest of the night? He was a +18 while Aminu was a -25. He was the only one who did well on Morris. When they actually go to him and he gets a little rhythm, he is a bull at the basket (needs to finish better) and his outside shot starts to fall.

His perimeter defense if quite good when he gets rotated on to a 'small' and he (like Nurkic) is one of the few Blazers with real strength.

riverman, BBert, 0-Our! and 1 other person like this.
  13. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

There's no doubt he has tools, but I'm not sure Noah "putting it all together" amounts to enough that you're shifting your gameplan to cater towards his development imo.

14. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

What's the worst that could happen to the team if Vonleh were given 30mpg and force fed 10-15 shots per game over the final 23 games this season? We drop in the standings?

riverman, Strenuus, 0-Our! and 4 others like this.
  15. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Did you mean best thing? ;)

PtldPlatypus likes this.
  16. PtldPlatypus

That's kind of my point. Honestly, the best thing would be that by force-feeding him, he gains confidence and competence, displays the toughness his size and build suggest, the Vonleh-Nurkic frontcourt becomes an imposing force, the game gets significantly easier for Dame/CJ as a result, and we magically develop into a legit threat in the west.

Vonleh playing poorly and causing us to lose games at an even more accelerated clip would in fact be the worst-case, but would improve our draft prospects, and it would help us reach a final decision on his future with the team. So basically, there really isn't a downside.

masieo, BBert and TBpup like this.
  17. Blazer4ever

Blazer4ever Finding a Way BANNED

Agricolture
    I agree that we looked good with Vonleh. Also, if we use Leonard as a C (where is Davis?) our options besides Vonleh at PF are either Harkless or Aminu, who are both undersized. I think we need to play smaller in the backcourt (with 2 of Dame, CJ and Napier for most if not the entire game) but also play bigger in the front-court. Leonard at Center with Aminu at PF isn't big enough

riverman and TBpup like this.
  18. PtldPlatypus

Davis' absence from the rotation makes me sad. I think I agree with you; I would like to see a Vonleh/Davis PF rotation to go along with Nurkic/Leonard at center.

Of course, what we're missing more than anything else right now is Evan Turner. He had really come into his own as the third ball-handler on this squad before his injury.

19. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    I don't think Vonleh has a whole lot of upside, based on how low his existing baseline is and how little he's improved (statistically) during his time in the NBA. That said, I agree with PtldPlatypus that there's no downside to giving him starter-like minutes and letting him shoot the ball more. Maybe all he ever needed was a coach to put a hand on his shoulder and say, "Son, I believe in you."

Reep likes this.
  20. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

I think it's tough to improve when night after night you get no shots other than offensive rebound or loose ball chances. Even when he has knocked a couple down in a row, Stotts REFUSES to call his number again regardless of the mismatch he may have. So he just goes out there and sets screen after screen for guards that are going to shoot a lot and ignore him when he's open.

Very difficult to gain confidence or improve stats when that is happening on a nightly basis.

riverman, Trackjack and BBert like this.