Power Forward of the Future

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Boob-No-More, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Eastoff

Eastoff But it was a beginning.

It looks like he had trouble finishing through defender at the post

2. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Hm. Faried CAN defend IN THEORY, but in fact doesn't. That's why they've been shopping him for a while and he's only playing 22 mpg.

3. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

Faried in not the answer, I like Aminu better then him now

riverman likes this.
  4. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I keep looking at college players and comparing them to TRob.....trying to find the guy with his skill that has a basketball IQ....I think Jordan Bell from the Ducks is that guy.

rotary111 likes this.
  5. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

I wish Aminu was about 15-20 pounds heavier, had a more consistent shot, and didn't try to go 1 on 5 with fast breaks. He'd be the perfect PF.

6. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

agree, that's the tough part as it seems a lot of the draft hype is about athleticism/wingspan sometimes at the expense of actual Bball skills and what translates to the NBA. Many guys can physically dominate in college but that does not necessarily translate in the pros see Tyrus Thomas and Trob and many others

riverman likes this.
  7. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

Don't see our PF of the future in this draft and honestly, with the way the league is going I'd rather fill the position with a 3/4 swing forward and 4/5 combo big to combat both traditional and small ball lineups.

For combo 4/5's my #1 is still Johnathan Motley, but I also would be fine with Bam. I see people comparing him to Vonleh, but I think he's a better prospect than Noah was. Better finisher in pnr/cut/oreb situations with similar versatility defensively. I trust him more as a shooter as well--more of a natural shooting motion although I don't like his chances much to have 3pt range.

For swing forwards, Jonathan Isaac is super intriguing but we'd have to luck into the top 3 to have an opportunity to draft him. Not a fan Miles Bridges at all--bad reach for a PF / limited ball skills and don't trust the shot as a SF. Also think he looks pretty clunky trying to navigate the perimeter defensively.

Guys higher in the draft like Williams and Markennen are strict 5's to me with shaky starting potential. I like Williams to get there more, but I think it's still a pretty low probability and it's hard for me to get excited about guys that have a most likely scenario of a back-up 5, especially in the modern nba.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    HailBlazers likes this.
  8. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

12 games in Feb, Saric has averaged 17/8/3/1 in 30 mpg.

Dude is ballin under the radar.

I'd trade 2 of our picks for him as well.

PtldPlatypus likes this.
  9. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

I think Philly has an age limit for rookies, so likely to be available before he turns 24.

10. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Everyone is so biased towards Ducks players.

The only PFs I want are Markannen, Giles, Lydon, and maybe Rabb.

I don't see what everyone else sees in Williams. Collins is okay but not impressive.

11. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
  12. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

It says he is a SF in the NBA. We already have Aminu who plays stretch 4.

13. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

don't like adebayo?

14. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

No. Not skilled enough.

H.C. likes this.
  15. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Anunoby.jpg

16. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    I don't know much about the power forward of the future. All I know is he sure as shit isn't on this team.

17. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

Lol. I'm down on all 4 guys you want.

Markkanen, Lydon and Rabb don't project to be very versatile offensively and have serious defensive issues. I'm with you on Collins, though. Eye test has never matched the production for me and he's another pf with a limited defensive upside.

Bigs that I like include:
    • Robert Williams: Defensive fundamentals and motor are serious issues and he'll need to be able to play the PF to reach his upside (borderline all-star), but he's still young and has an intriguing foundation of skills to build on--Elite lob target/finisher, weakside shotblocker, fluid shot mechanics and passing vision.
    • Justin Patton: Strength and conditioning are the biggest problems with him. Also might never be strong enough to consistently hold his position (narrow frame/high center of gravity) or enough of a rim protector (instincts/length+reach don't look elite) to make it defensively. Might have enough skill potential to make up for it, but he's still very raw on the offense end.
    • Johnathan Motley: Needs to play with more energy and awareness defensively, but brings a wide range of skills offensively plus above average defensive tools. Has the fluidity and range athletically to play both 4 and 5. Projects to be great in space where he's a much better athlete and has the shooting touch, handle, craft, agility, passing instincts and ability to draw fouls to be highly effective in pnr and spot up situations.
    • Bam Adebayo: Elite vertical athlete in space which makes him a very good lob target/dunker spot finisher. Has the rangy/fluid athleticism to guard in space/pnr and switch plus the frame to play small ball 5. The jumpshot will be big for him as far as expanding his offensive skill set because right now he looks like strictly a play finisher who plays fifteen feet and in. Scary considering he doesn't have great length/reach or touch/craft around the rim in traffic (gets swallowed up if forced to put it on the ground at this stage)
    • TJ Leaf: Would take him as my offense first big over Markkanen. Projects to be more versatile offensively, and can play the 4 defensively if he can add upper body strength. Markkanen is a clear 5 on both ends who will be far below average defensively for the position. Don't think he brings enough outside of the jumper to make up for it. Also could lose some versatility as a shooter as he bulks up which is an issue considering he's already a below average vertical and straight-line athlete.
    • Jordan Bell: Elite defensive numbers on an elite defensive team plus the tools to give him a reasonable chance to translate. Offensive skill set is an issue but shows signs of mid range spot up J and can pass while also taking care of the ball.
    Williams and Patton are the highest upside guys, but also furthest away. Small percentage chance to reach ceiling as well. Williams probably the higher floor due to outlier physical tools.

Motley and Bell are the closest to playing right now. Bell probably has the higher floor do to defensive upside, but Motley is probably the only big outside of Patton and Williams who has a chance of becoming a starter while also having a reasonable floor as a versatile two-way third big.

Leaf probably won't play much as a rookie either, but is the most versatile of the stretch 4's while also having a chance to not be a disaster defensively.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  18. Trackjack

Trackjack Well-Known Member

You can't compare Noah stats to college players stats they playing in two different leagues. Those players might not even produce in the NBA. Vonleh has shown he at least play decent defense most times and he has Reb in this league. If he could get his offense going somehow he would be a good 2 way player in this league.

riverman likes this.
  19. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I'm not actually at all....this guy is the first Duck player I've thought would fit here since Luke Ridnour played for Ernie Kent...I couldn't stand Aaron Brooks either

20. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

They all seem to have some deficiencies and the reason why I also tend to lean towards Leaf is that his deficiency is easily fixable. Some players never improve their shooting, or improve their handles, or get taller. But adding 10-15 pounds of muscle in a couple of years is not that difficult for someone his age. Leaf is far from ideal, but he has skills for his size.