PPV distrubutor: "boxing is dead"

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by speeds, Aug 5, 2009.

1. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/ca...istributor-says-boxing-is-dead?urn=mma,180927

I don't know about "every fight is a great fight" on UFC cards, that is a bit over the top. Maybe you'll see three or four great fights out of six or seven, maybe less. But for sure you'll get more out of a UFC PPV than a boxing PPV, especially since a main event in boxing could be the only thing worth watching on the card, and it could be over in seconds.

The thing with boxing is that even with three or four mega-fights a year, they still aren't doing the volume the UFC (and the WWE) are doing. Does that mean boxing is dead? No, just that there are less superstars at the moment and the promotion/belt system has things so screwed up that top level fighters are only competing once, twice a year (if that). Boxing is still enormously popular and much more mainstream than MMA and that is going to continue into the next decade.

2. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

It's also worth noting that the popularity of boxing outside of the US is astronomically higher than MMA.

3. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

I agree. Boxing isn't close to what it used to be and is on life support. There are no big name fighters that every one loves, that sell around the world, and that sell in North America. There is Floyd Mayweather, but that is it. I would also venture to say more people know who Chuck Liddell or Brock Lesnar is than they know who Mayweather is.