Exclusive Pre-season observations/snap-judgements thread

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by PtldPlatypus, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

Maybe Olshey/mgmt was thinking with a possible NBA expansion coming soon if the new CBA is agreed to then they will just leave Crabbe and/or Meyers unprotected when an expansion draft comes when you can protect something like 8 players and its likely one or both of those guys would be snatched up

2. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

When Ezeli come in, he will make Leonard look like a stud

3. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

If management was thinking about losing them to expansion, they would not have matched BRK's offer sheet for Crabbbe or re-signed Leonard. They would have just let them walk for nothing and signed minimum contract guys to fill out the roster. You don't sign a guy to a huge contract if you plan to let him walk a year later for nothing. You only sign him if you plan to keep him yourself, or trade him for something you need later.

When you lose a player to expansion, you get nothing in return. Technically, you get their salary off the books, but we will be so far over the cap when C.J.'s extension kicks in, it won't matter. And again, it would have been cheaper to just let them walk this summer. They were both retained for a reason, and that reason is not to let them walk for nothing a year from now.

BNM

Sinobas likes this.
  4. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

consolidation trade.

5. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

I don't think Crabbe looks any worse than last year. He's a solid bench player, but now he's under a magnifying glass because of that ridiculous contract he's on. I can understand Portland over spending on one player that they think is going to help. But 27 mil on Crabbe and Meyers? So absurd.

Fez Hammersticks likes this.
  6. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

FTFY

Orion Bailey and Dougnsalem like this.
  7. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    I'll never get used to these new deals. Crabbe makes more than Rasheed ever made in Portland. But it's not the worst. I still can't figure out why Soloman Hill is making $10m/per.

To live up to his deal he's going to have to morph into Klay Thompson - whom has a contract $10m less than Crabbe.

8. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

My preseason snap judgement:

Why the hell did we re-sign Meyers Leonard?

Stevenson, Dougnsalem and jlprk like this.
  9. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    Hell if I know. We want a locker room New Age Guru with a shitty hairdo? :dunno:

dviss1 likes this.
  10. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

How so?

11. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Adjusting for inflation... I think I heard the avg is 5 mil/per or something? This money is huge like the money back then was huge.

12. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

DAMN YOU!!!! lol

Because Ezeli will be planted in the paint and it will play to Leonards strengths of remaining on the perimiter. He wont be expected to bang in the middle as much and hopefully that will allow his offensive game to be comfortable and not have to think so much, so he can focus attention on the defensive end. Plus with Ezeli in the paint on D, Leonard wont have as much ground to have to cover if they learn to play D together.
    I am thinking Leonard will pick some things up from Ezeli and those two might actually create a massive defensive presence. Those two next to each other create a big wall to get around/over.

Dougnsalem likes this.
  13. Sinobas

It was just because of how much cap space teams suddenly had this year. Free agents in future years will make 33% more than in years past, but not 3x their former market value.

I think by the end of the year, Harkless is going to be the only FA signing the Blazers won't regret.

I wonder if Olshey has a plan to try and trade CJ for a front court player. Why else desparately over-pay for another ball handler and to retain Crabbe? We know that Olshey really WANTS another front court player.

CJ for Jahlil Okafor?

Stevenson and jlprk like this.
  14. Sinobas

He's a decent utility player if you need a spot up 3 point shooter. But Plumlee is showing his on another level than Meyers, and Plumlee is a FA next year and we'll be right at the tax threshold thanks to these ridiculous contracts Olshey signed.

Vonleh might even surpass Leonard this year.

A big problem with Meyers is that he can't create his own shot. His release is low and slow. Even though he's 7-1, he can't get his jump shot off against pressure like Nowitski could who had that quick high release.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
    dviss1, jlprk and Dougnsalem like this.
  15. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    Last five pre-season games for Crabbe:

25 MPG | 6.2 PPG | 2 RPG | 1 APG | 37 FG% | 44% from three -- 1.8 attempts/per

16. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    Already is, for me.

He did last year. Why wouldn't he this year?

17. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

I like your optimism, but I seriously doubt Nards being able to defend the 4 spot in Today's NBA. Let alone the pick and roll.
    If you have Ezeli defending the 4 so Nards can defend the 5. Well then why did you bring Ezeli if you're going to ask him to play defense away from the rim.
    I have more hopes for Ezeli/Vonleh or even Nards/Vonleh, than I do for Ezeli/Nards. Simply because you want Ezeli doing what he does best. Protect the rim ~

Orion Bailey likes this.
  18. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

It's only a big problem if you actually expect him to be Dirk. I think his slow and low release is only a problem when he shoots from 24 feet when someone is on him. But I don't want anyone other than maybe Dame shooting from deep while being pressured. How many of Meyers 3 point shots have actually been blocked? If someone runs out at him he usually just passes it. But more times than not he shoots while being wide open.

Meyers does have some problems, but I really don't think his slow release from deep is one of them.

BBert likes this.
  19. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

I hated on the bashers last year, specifically Nate. But now I am ready to eat crow and say that I don't think Pat C will ever give us meaningful contribution.

A mediocre shooter who is in love with his shot. His standout trait is his athleticism, which is impressive, but not a huge selling point in a league filled with phenomenal athletes.

Dougnsalem likes this.
  20. Dougnsalem

Dougnsalem not barf

Hope you got room in that boat for me. I loved him at first too, and I thought he'd really help us. I am fine if someone calls their own number a lot, as long as they can back it up with a basket. It's just not happening though....