Predict The Draft Picks (+ Jrich23's offseason preview)

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by .cabangbang, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Gelabale's from Guadalupe too (Same as Mickael Pietrus), but anywhere from 175-200 lbs and being 6'7, his frame seems like a tall shooting guard as you usually want your 6'7 small forwards to weigh in at least 220. I don't care if we have two shooting guards, if he's a late first rounder and we find him at #42, we might have found the steal of the draft. He looks good dunking the ball too, especially in that dunk contest he did where he jumps over a guy sitting in a chair.

Hodge I'm high on and would probably serve our needs and give us intangibles, but I figure he'd be long gone by the time we get him because he's more proven of a 2nd rounder and he's a utility player. He's proven himself in college.

All the other guys I'm not sure, but it would be nice to find a hustle player that can nail shots and get us extra posessions. A strictly blue collar type of guy that brings his lunch pail to work as some other would say. The thing I liked about Eddie Najera and Brian Cardinal is that even though they were kind of too short to play power forward, too slow to play small forward they were physical, always moved faster than they actually were, could make their jump shots, never gave up on plays, could handle the ball, had good passing fundamentals and were willing to do anything for the team to make it better. You look at those two and say, hey their fundamentals, decision-making and teamplay are pretty solid and they always stay aggressive on the defensive end.

2. Endym

Endym JBB JustBBall Member

From the very little i have seen (clips + 1 game) i don't think Splitter is bad rebounder. Even his statlines gives impression that he is not bad rebounder (when he gets near 30min playtime he usually gets near 10 rebounds and that is great in Europe considering european game is different than in NBA).

His main problem in NBA will probably be his lack of bulk, i hate when european players are called skinny (for example i don't think AB is skinny, although he needs to have a little more bulk), but he is skinny. The game i saw him, all he did was pick&roll and played active defense, never attempted a mid-range shot (that is not a good thing in PF, PFs need to have good range).

3. Custodianrules2

Endym, wasn't it true though that Splitter used to be a small forward and was pretty decent from 20 feet out? Perhaps Tau Ceramica has him playing center rather than power forward or the fact the games or clips you saw him play had him use nothing but pick and roll because the other team doesn't know how to defend it. I would think Splitter is capable from midrange because of his shot mechanics.

I think Biedrins is a lot stronger than he looks, but he's not bulky because of he's like 19. You don't really fill out until you reach your mid 20's, unless you have advantages stages of physical maturity like Lebron James, Carmelo Anthony or Amare Stoudamire. Splitter is something like 21 and even if he weighs in at 240, he can still use his quickness and his length to his advantage like Pau Gasol does. The best thing about Splitter is he's fundamentally sound and he can work out the flaws in his game like consistency in his perimeter shooting and his free throws.

4. Endym

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">Endym, wasn't it true though that Splitter used to be a small forward and was pretty decent from 20 feet out?</div>
    Yeah, but as Draftcity Luis Fernandez said coople of weeks ago:
    "Gasol was throwing treys in the last season he spent here (near a couple each game). Right now, when Splitter is fully open at 12 feet from the basket, most of the times HE DOESN'T DARE TO SHOOT, causing troubles to his own team. Of course he's no Nowitzki, but the problem goes far beyond that point.

Right now, he's a low post scorer with no jumper to speak of. I hope he's working hard on it. Other than that, I think he's a great prospect."

i have only seen him 1 game but its exactly what is said here, article from December (again by Luis Fernandez)
    http://www.draftcity.com/viewarticle.php?a=78

5. Endym

I trust Mullin choise this year. Splitter and Vazques (and other euros besides Martynas, Nemanja), they are all getting quite good PT this year so Mullin can only blame himself and his talent valutation skills (and scouting staff) if he doesn't know who they are, how they play and what their potential is.

6. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

I just hope Mullin hides his choice a bit better than last year. Maybe a few bluffs here and there instead of pretty much giving up his choice outright.

7. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

I agree Zhone that strategy leaves us vulnerable to other teams. I think if we cant get Splitter that we should trade down to the mid first round and snag Diogu or Petro.

Splitter is the best euro big in the draft currently and his buyout could turnoff other teams and he could fall right to #9. If not, trade down, possibly swap Fish for another vet point gaurd and snag Diogu or Petro. Diogu could have an immediate effect on our team because of his already-polished post-up game, rebound efficiency, and slightly above average shot blocking. I've also heard he can play SF at 6'8 but he is slow. I could see this guy at best becoming Elton Brand (you cant get much better at 6'8) and at worst being a Kenny Thomas type of solid guy that any team could use.

Petro is a legit 7 foot but less polished than Diogu. For a playoff run Diogu's immediate effect would be great as we have enough developing guys (Peitrus, Biedins, Dunleavy and possibly Skita and white) But Petro will probably have a better long term effect. Petro is already a good defender and shot blocker but on offense he is a project. Also he is from France so we could see a similar relationship between him and Peitrus as we do with Zarko and Andris.

I also wouldnt mind drafting Felton or Jack but they would want to be starters almost immediatly and we could get a solid PG in the second round who could be mentored by Baron and Fish.(Nate Robinson sounds to me like a taller Earl Boykins but I've never seen him play)

8. Zhone

REREM has shared a lot of love for Diogu in various posts throughout the forums (mostly in the now semi-defunct "Scouting Prospects for the Warriors" thread), and I think that trading down for him would be a good idea as well. He still might decide to return to college though, so I've been trying to keep tabs on it. (If you read a lot of the old threads, you might notice that we love to overanalyze the draft picks, even when the topic might not seem like it was a draft thread. [​IMG])

I would love Felton but it's going to be tough to get him at 9. Although there are 3 possible PG's that will go early, seven out of the eight teams could use a point guard. The only scenario in which I could see that he drops is if Utah decides to go with Deron Williams. The guy is fast, makes good decisions, and would be great in a run-and-gun offense such as the W's. Although he'd be a backup, he would be good enough to give the starters a solid rest without concern.

9. Custodianrules2

Draft rumors are even being leaked out months before draft is even announced. Could it be bluffs or something to get players to come out in the draft this season? They say Marvin Williams is a target of Charlotte and hopefully will be the highlight reel draw out of UNC to get crowd attendance up. Blazers have expressed love of Andrew Bogut's game, touting him as the second coming of Ardvyas Sabonis. If that's the case and a trade doesn't happen or Bogut falls, they might take on the Lithuanian Martynas Andri-whatever who is being mentored by Ardvyas Sabonis, himself and has Sabonis-like passing with a lot of length.

I agree with Rerem, Zhone and Run BJM that Digou could be the BAP power forwad by far at #9, but is he coming out? He sort of reminds of one of those Zach Randolph/Elton Brand type players, but you never know if he becomes a dreaded Marcus Fizer, good strength/decent athleticism/solid numbers in college. I don't know if Ike's coming out, but it's still too early to figure out who's coming out, who's withdrawing, and who's staying another year out of the draft. But Ike Diogu is a good safe pick who can probably make an impact either as a starter or off the bench. Biggest problem is his upside is so limited. He's already pretty much finished more or less and that could be good if you consider the fact he does everything well and even shoots from outside.

I agree with the biggest problem with getting the projected near-star point guards is that they'll want to start sooner or later. Deron Williams and Raymond Felton are already projected to be future starters and after their contract is up they will probably go to other teams given the need for "pure point guards". It's a rarity to find pure points with size that can defend, shoot, and run offense. Take a look at this year's FA with point guards. Very weak. Also I think Felton and Deron Williams will be gone since Utah, Bucks, Toronto need point guards and you never know what Isiah will draft (probably another guard).

I'd say we go with whoever has the sexiest appeal to other teams or we go with a player with huge potential that we need in the future or just trade the pick for a future first rounder. No sense in getting a player the W's brass isn't sold on and nobody is either.

For defensive stopper at small forward we can look to guys like Kedrick Brown or find some NBDL or Continental Basketball Assoc. guy.

If we can dump Fisher, maybe grab some guy like Romain Sato or Jay Williams (if he's healthy)?

10. Run BJM

I agree. Felton may very well not be there and i think a PF would be the best position to draft in the first round. That being said, I think trading down or trading the pick would be our best option if we are looking to make a playoff push. I am sold on Diogu, Petro, and Splitter. Diogu would be the most NBA ready but I've read that he wont get much better.

I just checked and CLE doesnt have a first rounder but a possible trade i see benefiting both teams is Fisher, Murphy for McGinis (S&T) and Gooden. Murphy's BYC may make this difficult but I think both teams get what they want; CLE gets outside shooting, rebounding, gets rid of McGinnis, and possible Phil Jackson bait (Fisher) while GS gets an athletic PF who can run the floor and plays D better than Murphy as well as a good scoring PG off the bench.

11. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

I believe Fisher alone will make as much as both players from Cavs, and that's not mentioning Murphy's 10 mils, which is BYC. You can just forget about trading Murphy this season. That has been said, Fisher to Cavs may not be that bad of idea, because they are really desperate for PG...

12. Custodianrules2

I feel like Murphy is such an inbetween player. He's helpful in being able to spread the floor like a small forward and rebound like a center, but he's so poor on his effort on the defensive end. It's so hard to find anybody willing to give up a big player that does it all, rather than us just being happy with what we have. We should try to make the playoffs before making any huge trades to clear cap. Murphy is a big part with his scoring and all. I think Dunleavy, our third best scoring option at the other forward, is too tentative for the type of player he is and the role he's supposed to fill as a starter.

If there was no BYC rule that prevented a trade, Fisher/Murphy for Mcinnis/Gooden would be getting robbed in a way I think... but it does leave cap room where we can attract players that would want to play with Bdiddy. What's the future FA market look like for next season?

13. Run BJM

It was just a thought. I bet that if Murphy lost 30 pounds he would be a taller Dunleavy without the passing (and awesome shirtless outbursts), also just a thought but its kind of funny. its hard to see anyone go because they all say they will work on their weaknesses this summer.

Wow i forgot this was the draft thread. Back on subject, I think we'd be best off trading the pick. 1st rounder and Dun may get some attention among teams looking to get a good young guy.

Another trade i've come up with is Foyle, Dun, 1st rounder for Magloire and filler. Do you think NO would go for that? Maybe not since we already stole their PG. NO would get a solid defensive center and a SF (which is, according to them, the most important position) that can shoot, dish drive, and is a FA next season.

14. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Run BJM:</div><div class="quote_post">It was just a thought. I bet that if Murphy lost 30 pounds he would be a taller Dunleavy without the passing (and awesome shirtless outbursts), also just a thought but its kind of funny. its hard to see anyone go because they all say they will work on their weaknesses this summer.
    </div> Then Murph would lose some of his strength to get position for rebounding. [​IMG] I'm sure there's an equillbrium where he can stay balanced between having the average athleticism for a guy 6'11 and being strong enough to bang in the paint. Like there's this guy named Josh McRoberts who is an incoming freshman PF at Duke, he has Troy Murphy qualities. The difference is he can do 360 dunks and between the leg dunks. He's kinda slow and not very explosive when he does it, but he's got a lot of body control to finish at the glass and go up in the air to make him seem pretty athletic for his size. Maybe that's where Murphy needs to get the weight cut down, because he looks like a pretty darn good finisher at the rim like in that Milwaukee game. Plus, we know Murphy can run the floor faster than most would think, it's just lateral quickness he gets owned in.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Run BJM:</div><div class="quote_post">
    Wow i forgot this was the draft thread. Back on subject, I think we'd be best off trading the pick. 1st rounder and Dun may get some attention among teams looking to get a good young guy.

Another trade i've come up with is Foyle, Dun, 1st rounder for Magloire and filler. Do you think NO would go for that? Maybe not since we already stole their PG. NO would get a solid defensive center and a SF (which is, according to them, the most important position) that can shoot, dish drive, and is a FA next season.</div> Assuming New Orleans grabs Marvin Williams in the 2nd pick overall, maybe Charlotte wants Dunleavy and we get their #13 pick that came from Cleveland. We then use the 13 pick on Diogu or Granger or whoever is available on the board. Start Pietrus at the 2 or 3, Richardson at the 2 or 3 for a while and find some big defensive small forward that can bridge the gaps. Dunleavy is really the only "true small forward" in our lineup though, and it would be nice to get something we need that's proven rather than another pick.

Maybe if New Orleans is convinced they can take Chris Paul or Andrew Bogut at #2 they can proceed to trade for a glue player like Dunleavy for Magloire if our first rounder is Tiago Splitter or a player of tremendous upside. NO is rebuilding and they might want to go the route of veterans that don't complain. Magloire is solid, he's not really an allstar or a player that will carry a franchise on his shoulders, so maybe NO might just start fresh and get guys that will share the ball. Problem with any scoring center is that if you don't "feed the big dog, they won't protect the yard" to coin in on Shaquille O'neil.

15. Run BJM

I forgot about the getting the ball factor. I agree that murphy needs to find an equilibrium, he used to dunk on people then he gained a ton of muscle and now he can barely jump high enough to dunk. There's so many options for the W's I'm worried we'll make a bad descision (again). In Mullin we trust.

16. Custodianrules2

Let's just hope there's not too much roster turnover. Let's make the playoffs first and worry about contracts later. Murphy can probably be a better defender if he just tries harder. I actually like Murphy when he's making the defensive effort and finding some other ways to score when the jumper isn't falling. When he's pathetic on offense and he just standing there giving up the easy layup, I pretty much loathe him. But the guaranteed double double guys are so hard to find and can hit some big shots consistently when healthy. We already struggle on the defensive glass by how many offensive boards we give up. This could also probably be based on the fact we use zone defense from time to time and guys don't really box out for others to get the defensive rebound or we just let the other team score 50% or more in the paint.

Hopefully Dunleavy can get fouled a lot on the stepback jumper a la Larry Bird and make use of the triple threat position on isolations or call for screens. Hopefully his knee surgery goes well and he won't lose any more steps.

Jrich can hopefully continue refining his arsenal of moves and his ballhandling and get fouled driving the lane. I'd like to see him improve that unguardable turn around, fadeaway jump shot he has (excellent body control to do it consistently). Then those weaknesses they all have won't seem so bad and maybe the Warriors can get better defensively as well based on having played together and knowing each other's problems with matchups.

Defensive awareness is a must because you can have guys play defense well, but they just don't see where the play is going to happen to be able to deny the pass or the shooter. I think this is why Dunleavy won't struggle as much now as he had in the past where everything was man to man D with very little emphasis on team defense. Still, good individual defenders with awareness make good team defenders. Look at the Pistons. They play smart and the coach teaches them to play good basketball.

17. Run BJM

I dont see us getting too far with two weak, slow defensive players starting. Murphy is here for at least a year due to BYC and it would be a waste to have Mike on the bench as he is starter quality. In the draft we could get a decent replacment for him. All we need at the 3 is defense and shooting really. I dont see the 3 making shots for themselves very much. Jumain Jones would be just what we could use but i think LA would rather not get another SF (and Luke Walton is a similar player as Dun). Hackim Warrick or Danny Granger could replace Mike or we could use Peitrus or Zarko at the 3 for a while. IMO Mike should be replaced while his value is still high. Hes a good player but we need an athletic finisher with D now that we are a fastbreaking team.

18. Custodianrules2

While Mike is a good enough rebounder and smart outlet passer to intiate a break or push the break himself, I can't defend his mediocrity when Baron Davis wasn't here. With that said, I don't really care either way if he stays or if he goes, so long as we keep our more valuable players so we can utilize their skills or trade for players we need, much in the way Denver probably wants to do with Nene.

I would like to keep Dun, though. He's a different player with Baron Davis in the lineup and hopefully it sticks.

19. Run BJM

I wouldnt really mind keeping Mike either but i dont want him to risk us not being able to resign Pietrus / Chabarkapa. Mike is good but i would rather let him walk than sign him for anything over what he is worth because his agent threatens Mully. If he asks for an equal amount as J-rich or Murphy I let him walk. I hope Mullin also learnt his lesson with signing guys for too much cash. Sometimes it may be better to let them walk than ruin are cap situation for several years.

20. Zhone

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">I would like to keep Dun, though. He's a different player with Baron Davis in the lineup and hopefully it sticks.</div>

According to the plus/minus statistics from 82games.com, Dunleavy and Davis play extremely well together are the most productive Warriors duo when they're both on the court. Of course it's hard to tell because the sample was so small (20 games?) and it takes more to declare that absolutely they're the best pair. But, the numbers clearly support that Dun was a different player with Davis (and a whole lot better).

As far as the Luke Walton comparison, Dun does something that he and even a lot of the Warriors can't do, which is create his own shot. (Baron Davis cured this easily because he is the best player on the W's at creating his own shot and also at creating shots for others). Obviously that need isn't as big with Davis dishing it out, but while Luke will often have to pass it (racking up assists) Dun can often take a shot/drive. He didn't do it often enough early on, but he used to do it more last season, which is why one of my preseason remarks was that he needed to be more aggressive. He didn't become aggressive until Davis came over, boosting the entire team's confidence.