Predict The Draft Picks (+ Jrich23's offseason preview)

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by .cabangbang, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Good posts guys. Trading up to the three pick sounds good but we would likely have to give up Pietrus or J-Rich (if they want his contract). I would love to nab Green though especially if it only cost Dunleavy or Fisher. Maybe Foyle, Dunleavy, filler (Cheany/White), 9th pick for 3rd pick and Ratliff (if he is healthy). Foyle is essentially a cheaper Ratliff which would help Portland because Ratliff would be behind Pryzbilla anyway. Dun is a good SF who is expiring and should help ball movement, especially now that Stoudamire and Van Exel are gone. For the Dubs, obviously we get the third pick, and Ratliff who has a shorter but more expensive contraxct than Foyle bt is a slightly better shot blocker and has better hands.

Dwayne jones definately sounds like a beast on defense, a 6'11 ben Wallace. From what I've read he wont stay in the draft unless he is pretty sure he will be drafted in the second. His stock is rising and he is getting exposure in the Chicago pre-draft camp but I've heard that he would be much better suited to go back to school and improve his offense. Also i've read he has bad hands, I know he wouldn't be an offensive option but just look at how many points Foyle loses for us by fumbling the ball (probably 8 points a game). If he comkes back next year less raw on offense he would likely be a bubble first rounder.

2. REREM

REREM JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Run BJM:</div><div class="quote_post">Good posts guys. Trading up to the three pick sounds good but we would likely have to give up Pietrus or J-Rich (if they want his contract). I would love to nab Green though especially if it only cost Dunleavy or Fisher. Maybe Foyle, Dunleavy, filler (Cheany/White), 9th pick for 3rd pick and Ratliff (if he is healthy). Foyle is essentially a cheaper Ratliff which would help Portland because Ratliff would be behind Pryzbilla anyway. Dun is a good SF who is expiring and should help ball movement, especially now that Stoudamire and Van Exel are gone. For the Dubs, obviously we get the third pick, and Ratliff who has a shorter but more expensive contraxct than Foyle bt is a slightly better shot blocker and has better hands.

Dwayne jones definately sounds like a beast on defense, a 6'11 ben Wallace. From what I've read he wont stay in the draft unless he is pretty sure he will be drafted in the second. His stock is rising and he is getting exposure in the Chicago pre-draft camp but I've heard that he would be much better suited to go back to school and improve his offense. Also i've read he has bad hands, I know he wouldn't be an offensive option but just look at how many points Foyle loses for us by fumbling the ball (probably 8 points a game). If he comkes back next year less raw on offense he would likely be a bubble first rounder.</div>
    I'd try to swap Dunleavy,White and a future rd2 for Charlotte's pick at #13. Dunleavy +White had NC area college careers.
    We then package our 2005 #1,our 2006 #1,Fisher + Foyle for Portlands 3 slot,and Ratliff,and we give D jones a promise we'd take him at #40 if he's there. I'd then package Cheaney and the #42 rd 2 to move higher in rd 2,a pick I'd hope would yeild salim Stoudamire.
    With the Rd 1 # 3,we take Green,at # 13 we take Diogu,and we get Stoudamire + Jones in the second round.

SF-Pietrus,Green
    PF-Murphy,Diogu,Zarko
    C-Ratliff,Biedrens,Jones
    PG-Davis,Stoudamire
    SG-J Richardson

This leaves a roster spot free,or,if you figure an additional guy stashed on IR,2 spots. The main priority would be a PG backup,I am confident that Salim will be a very good PG except he's going to need some time to polish up his pg skills. Zimmerman,our former draft pick is a candidate,we'd invite some undrafted PG's to audition,with Aaron Myles,Kansas,a possibility,and could see what FA veterans are bargains. As Green and Pitrus give depth at SG,and Diogu,Zarko,would play some SF,we'd have decent depth overall. We could see who might have some ability at C,though I'm not seeing a strong candidate. There may be talent at F that slips through the draft. Michael Harris and Deng Gai have some significant skills,could ultimately become keepers,or good trade bait.

We can add a batch of underrated bargains capable of giving a good team a big boost. This scenario does cut it close,the Bobcats and Blazers might not see these packages as enough. Green and Diogu would help a lot,and pretty soon. Salim,with his pure shooters touch,can be a steal in time. Ratliff buys us time. Andy Biedrens could be ready to start midseason,and if Murphy works on D this offseason,he also could be a boost at C.
    I see a team that runs,pushes the pace. Depth is very important if you go up tempo. With J Rich,Green,and Pitrus sharing the SG/SF jobs,those guys could play full speed. Diogu would play some SF,when a matchup called for a bigger player. He'd be a quicker PF,soon a plus on D up front,sharing time with Murphy. This season,Green had some impressive assist numbers for a high scoring F. I don't expect he's going to ever play some point in the NBA,but it's a possibility. Most guys on this roster would have the versatility to fill multiple roles,so we could have a big frontcourt,play small or anywhere between. We'd have shooters,scorers,rebounders and we'd have the returning nucleus plus a batch of new comers who HAVE some high grade skills plus a probability they'd add more polish.

As I noted,it's a scenario,and actually getting it all to work would involve some luck. The real payoff is down the line,when Green,and Diogu have more experiance.

3. Run BJM

There could be a problem if we do get the third pick and Green and M. Williams are available. I'd take Green but everyone seems to love Williams. I dont see anything in Williams, he wasnt a starter and wasnt a great college player. Plus he is a tweener who has questionable defense (second coming of Jamison?). He has proved less on one year of college than Green has in his high school. I doubt we plan on moving up though, i dont think we've worked out any of the top prospects.

4. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

I don't think anyone is going to bite on what we have to offer for Gerald Green or whoever we're trying to snag up in the top 4 (who would we want that fits our need of a true PF?). As for the Antwan Jamison comparrisons to Marvin Williams, that might not be far except Williams is probably a better athlete and has a way prettier shooting mechanic and better all around skills. The downside is he might end up like a more athletic version of Rodney White, Tim Thomas, or even Jamal Mashburn if he bulks up. The reason I say Jamal Mashburn was because in his prime, he could do it all. Rebound, shoot, pass, play inside, everything but play defense. I haven't seen the ballhandling aspect of Marvin's game as much.

5. REREM

Not interested in trading up for Marvin. A PF needs to rebound and he showed little interest in that. I saw guards easily box him out. I saw people shoot just a few feet from him,and he didn't seem to care enough to contest the shot. On offense,he can hit a 3,but Green hit a freaky 60%. In the McD game was 4 of 5 on 3's. Green had 10+ boards 2 years straight. Marvins muscle is of little value if he's soft on the boards,apathetic on D,and really has only basic moves inside. Green,with some great physical gifts also has polished his skills a lot,and can soon be a regular.

Marvin could decide he WANTS to be the player many expect he can be-but he has not made that deciscion. If the ACC and NCAA tournament,national TV,NBA scouts,failed to get him to get tough,to work on the whole game,for the whole game-what will it take?

On a deal like that,the trade isn't final until Portland's turn. I'd only do that deal for Green or Bogut. Atlanta,picking second,may be seeing some vids of games I saw that have me wondering about Marvin

6. REREM

...and Antawn was national college player of the year,started for several years,etc.

Marvin has better all around PHYSICAL TOOLS. Skills are stuff you learned,techniques,and Marvin's are limited. Against Duke he thought he'd go in and dunk against Sheldon Williams. He went up without much power and no midair tricks and jukes...got stuffed,tried again,got stuffed,again,and a 4th try,stuffed. Not only did he fail to score,or even get the shot off-but he failed to learn from the first 3 rejects,and the last one was still nothin'. Jamison would have pulled some tricks out of his bag,he often would do his early flip shot,releasing before the defender expects. He'd juke in mid-air.....skills. [​IMG]

7. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    Insider's latest has us taking Diogu: I think I shouldn't "republish" other websites information. Sorry for editing the post

8. Custodianrules2

Man, if Andrew Bynum is staying in, I would like for Mullin to take a good look at him. I don't know why Taft outranks him. You look at guys like Robert Swift and others and wonder why Bynum is so low despite being the top ranked high school center in the country. I like Diogu and Granger, but the only real projects I think are interesting are Bynum, Blatche, Splitter, and Martyas A (if the guys who take a look at him think he can fill out like Yao Ming did after coming into the league). I like the fact Marty A. can actually step around defenders and is quick for size, but not much is known whether he can block shots really well, defend the post, get rebounds, or be a low post threat.

I'm pretty much okay with drafting Ike Diogu because of what he's proven. However if his size limits his abilities at the next level, we'll be in trouble. I like the fact he's intense, plays with heart, has amazing footwork, is strong, blocks shots, rebounds, and has good hands. He's also a lock for a double double and possibly could soften up opposing defenses with his ability to get fouled and pass out of the double team.

9. Custodianrules2

Marvin is also rated high because there isn't a clear "franchise player" in the top 3 outside of Bogut or maybe Chris Paul, and those guys might not be franchise players. Most drafts will be lucky to include one, if not two. The 2002 draft was a good example of the very few compared to the one after which featured Lebron James, Chris Bosh, Dwayne Wade, Kirk Hinrich, Carmelo Anthony, and several good draft picks like our very own Mickael Pietrus/Zarko Cabarkapa, TJ Ford, Mike Sweetney, Jarvis Hayes, Luke Ridnour, Josh Howard, Kyle Korver.

The next draft, if the new CBA permits players 18-19, might feature guys like Rudy Gay (hyped up as the next Grant Hill), Greg Oden (David Robinson), Yi Lian Jian (Chinese Kevin Garnett/Jermaine O'neil), and some others that could be future franchise players or at least allstars. Like maybe there are some this draft that dropped out because they didn't show much this season to get a guarantee. Marty A. was talked about immensely for the past couple years and if he lives up to the hype of being the next Yao, Big Z, or Rick Smits, I'll be sad we didn't get him when his draft stock was low and we could have made him a draft guarantee. Maybe those comparrisons are poor examples of franchise players, but they are allstars and given the dearth of talented bigs. Heck, after Foyle and the way Murphy defends we could use a big man that can occupy the lane. The Rockets have Yao/Mount Mutombo and even though Yao and T-mac and the rest of the team aren't great defenders, team shoot lower percentages against them on average because of the big dudes guarding the middle and the way Jeff Van Gundy puts the emphasis on D. We need guys that will force opponents to take more jumpshots rather than think they can get an easy layup. I don't think Foyle is that great of a defender to be everywhere like last year's Ben Wallace or having Ben Wallace or the young Alonzo Mourning's prowess in defending bigger or quicker players. We need that toughness or intimidation factor that they will get blocked or have their shot altered if they go inside every single time. Adonal is hit or miss unfortunately as he was posterized on several occasions by Amare Stoudamire, Michael Finley.

Anyway, I'm rambling/ranting and impatient for the season to begin and impatient on getting an upgrade at SF/PF/C or waiting for our current guys to prove the critics like me wrong that they can play defense, play consistently or get double/doubles. I like Gerald Green. If we were to get him, I just hope he isn't the type to feel like a second fiddle to any of our star players like how T-Mac felt when he was with Vince Carter. That is why I'm hoping we get some guy on the attitude level of Chris Bosh, Jason Richardson, Mickael Pietrus, or heck Mike Dunleavy Jr who don't care about personal stats but playing ball and winning. Our team is relatively ego free so far and very professional. I like our current group's attitude.

BTW I like Mike Dunleavy Jr.'s offense after the Dallas incident so maybe we should hold onto him and see if he can become another clutch guy for our team or at least be a role player with a developing a killer instinct to take more shots and make them. I can't remember who mentioned Dunleavy as the guy who can put teams away with daggers. I think it was upsidedownside. So maybe PF/C is simply the way to go unless we think Danny Granger is too good to pass up. I think Green will end up being the better small forward, for some reason and I hope teams are convinced he won't be a shooting guard and he he'll be too weak to play small forward. His potential is too good to pass up if he does fall though.

Anyway, more rambling.

10. REREM

I mentioned a tradeup for Green as a sort of option. It is possible,not probable. I'm pretty much still aimed at Granger +Diogu,as I have been. Lately both are getting recognition as the posers drop down. that worries me,as there's a chance both are gone by 9. I see the Knicks taking Frye,they need a tall C,NOW,a skinny pf or a long term project won't feed the pooch in NY where patience has worn thin.

I have a hunch Blatche is getting underrated and if Ike and Granger and Frye are all gone,he could be the pick. Blatche,in HS,had solid numbers, Word is he handles the ball well,hits a 3 well,runs well. He gets put down as being too perimeter but he had BIG rbd numbers. I think he was intentionally expanding his skills. When you are 6-11,against a 6-5 defender,its hard to perfect post moves...they all work too easy. Playing only in the paint would have meant he'd be limited. At the Jordan Classic,with some talented young bigs in the game,he chose to showcase his inside game,and was the MVP. I think he's had his eye on the big picture all along. He's no dummy,was a good student. I'd like to learn more.

A few monts ago there was some dicussion here about whether the Warriors had the budget and cap to sign Dunleavy,Pietrus,and Biedrens as the time came. That got me thinking more of dealing Dunleavy. I don't want to "dump" him,but he has limitations and if he stays I see him as a 6th man,using his versatility wherever there's a matchup. Either way,Diogu or Granger would be an assett. Dealing Duns,as things look now,gives us a shot at Blatche or Bynum,who can be our big man. I figure the pro scouts have had a look at Splitter and perhaps they see reasons he'd rate ahead of the HS guys. Martynas is so far from ready that at the end of his 3 yr rookie deal,he'd be like Shika,still not ready to help-or get a big contract. Then what? The W's could opt to keep him,or let him go,with either route a possible mistake. Meanwhile he's used up a roster spot and cap room without helping this team. If he was good enough now that he'd be NBA ripe in a year,it's not so bad,but in his case,he;s so far from ready it's just a guess he ever will be much good,and there is the added issue that he might get good but so far in the future that he won't be here.

11. REREM

Ike's stock just went up,when the guys at NBADRAFTNET hear Custodian is coming around,Ike will shoot up to 10 or 11. [​IMG]

While Bynum has not had the exposure,and will need work,he did show promise in the McD game,having a good mix of effort and agility.

I finally tracked down Blatche's staats for the season,27.5 pt,16 rbd,6 blocks,4 assists. His 3 pt % is not mentioned,and his range is said to be one of his best features. The RBD,blocks stats do say he isn't slacking on the D/RBD chores,though a HS 6-11 should get dominant numbers in those areas.

I just saw some info on a tournament featuring teams of players who will be in HS next year,including foreign teams from Russia,China,N Zealand + Canada. Greg Oden was outstanding and his team won. My homeboy,OJ Mayo,who will be a junior,was the leading scorer by a lot,and his team was second. Mayo caught an elbow in the face (5 stitches) missed the 3rd quarter of the final game. Mayo also averaged 6 steals a game in the tournament. A 6-5 point G,he's another Lebron, figures to be the top pick whenever he goes pro.

12. Run BJM

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting REREM:</div><div class="quote_post">I mentioned a tradeup for Green as a sort of option. It is possible,not probable. I'm pretty much still aimed at Granger +Diogu,as I have been. Lately both are getting recognition as the posers drop down. that worries me,as there's a chance both are gone by 9. I see the Knicks taking Frye,they need a tall C,NOW,a skinny pf or a long term project won't feed the pooch in NY where patience has worn thin.</div>

I think the exact same thing; Granger, Diogu, or else trade the pick. I really only like those two players and Diogu is pretty high risk high reward.

13. Custodianrules2

I've definitely heard of Greg Oden and OJ Mayo. They've been scouted for a while and they will be the next big thing out of high school.

Yeah I know I'm leaning toward Diogu because he does the things I describe that I like in a player, even though he isn't the ideal body. Neither is Elton Brand or Zach Randolph, but they get the job done. But now that I'm hearing some good stuff about Blatche, now I'm enamored with Blatche's potential as a power forward that can mix it up inside and out. We never got to see what a healthy Jonathan Bender could do and if Blatche is like Jonathan Bender or even better, Kevin Garnett or Rasheed Wallace, I'll be happy. It seems like a better fit for us to have a power forward that can do things with the ball few others can, rebound, block shots, score inside, use those spin moves and pump fakes, and finish on alley oops or on the break.

Problem is how do you get a good read on the guy. His stats look good, his character looks good, what is missing exactly? The kid should be going higher in the draft maybe?

14. Custodianrules2

I like Granger, Diogu, but if we could land Blatche and somebody else that's risky at both #20 or #22 for our #9, that would be sweet. Maybe Julius Hodge or Randolph Morris?

I heard Randolph Morris was kind of lazy in camp, but it could be heresay from nbadraft.net.

I feel like we should be combining threads since we have 6 threads talking about who we want to draft or who we think we should draft. hehe. It won't matter soon since in 12 days we'll know for sure who we get.

15. Run BJM

Getting the 20 and 22 would be pretty good, it seems like the talent at 9 and 20/22 isn't much different. Morris would be a great risk, especially if we have 2 first round picks. Iyaslova also seems interesting, he is being compared to Andre Kirilenko, he would also be a nice risk.

16. Run BJM

Oh, and combining threads is a good idea, sometimes most of the front page is Warrior threads, doesn't make sense if we are discussing the same subject in 4 different threads.

17. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

Either combine them, or start a thread specifically about one prospect and hash out debates there, I think. We've been going in circles for a long time now about a lot of players and to be honest I haven't had too much new to say, and I don't want to repeat myself, I'm sure you guys like hearing me chime in, but not the exact same thing 100 times. [​IMG]

18. REREM

R Morris ought to get his butt back to KY and work. I have been a Taft-basher,and Morris is Taft,minus the physical assets.

If I had enough inside info to feel that at 20+22 we'd get guys I like,a trade down could be tempting,but I tend to feel that guys I see as underrated by mocks,won't be so underrated on draft day.

The Chicago pre-draft thing likely helped J Hodge. hes wiry,and had been called skinny,but when they did reps of 185lb bench presses,he did 14,Taft did 14,May did 12,Martynas failed to do any. (punk) Hodge had a spiderman winspan and was among the speedy guys in the sprint,but surprisingly S May had a better vertical leap by several inches. Bizzare? Hodge beats May in the Bench,May beats Hodge in the leap???? An interesting surprise,Channing Frye did very well in the bench with 19 reps. Joey Graham and Diogu were the only players with 20+ reps,Graham,obviously a physical specimen,did really well in all the strength-speed-leap stuff. While Martynas was getting hyped as tall+athletic,it seems his leap,speed.strength tests maked him as very much NOT. Hodge,a PG/SG candidate has more wingspan by several inches. Martynas got a nice boost from having thick shoes that added 1 3/4". Look out Elton John.

At 20-22 we can likely get Hodge. I think we'd miss out on Diogu,Blatche,Warrick,Granger,Frye,and maybe Bynum. Simien might still be there,or not. A lesser drop,say,to 12-15 and we should still have some good choices,but then what's the package that completes such a deal?

19. REREM

It's very frustrating that I can't turn on ESPN and see Blatche play a whole game vs some players with real talent. That,of course,was also the case with many HS superstars who made it...or flopped. I don't expect Blatche to have that rare mix if fire and skills and raw athletic tools KG has,but there are very real hints he may have the ability to match Rasheed W someday,and that will suffice. Getting the info to assure myself he won't go Kwame,is what holds me back. The thought is that Green,Webster,Blatche and Bynum have a safe rd 1 standing. Now they are tending to play it conservative and not risk showing whatever limitations they have.
    Various souces share the opinion Blatche has skills more tuned to F than C,but his HS numbers say he is no marshmellow on the boards and has a defensive impact,how well he'd bulk up,gain power,is uncertain. Kwame got bulkier,and it didn't help his game. If we build on what we did late season,we will run,will use a lot of our roster,will plug guys in at various roles,will expect the other team to score,but will try to keep them low %,and get the boards. Diogu,Granger,Warrick,Blatche,are all guys who might help us in such a context. Graham is possible,though his game is so similar to Pietrus,J Rich

20. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

This is kind of off topic. But what do you guys think about the PG's that could be available at the number 9 spot? I read from another board that the Warriors/Mike Montgomery are looking for a PG and PF/C. So I was trying to look at a couple of the PG's and I really don't know what to make out of them, too much. I kind of like Jarrett Jack since it seems as if he's a PG who can stand his own and get out there and make things happen defensively, which is a need. I mean it's nice to have Pietrus guard PG's once in a while, but it would be even nicer to have a PG who could guard PG's as well; if that is actually in Jack's capability level. There is also Raymond Felton who I have kind of liked for a couple of years. Felton is supposed to be a pretty good scorer and passer and be ultra quick(though it sounds like Speedy Claxton). Also for Jack, he is able to penetrate very well and has good height and is strong and he can get to the line. I believe Jack could definitley be a player that could be very very valuable for the Warriors off the bench, along with Felton.

This makes the draft very interesting in my opinon. The players I like are Diogu and Granger and I am also interested in a couple of other potential players like Vazquez, Petro, and Blatche. And then add Jarrett Jack and Felton, and the Warriors are going to have to do a lot of homework.

Probably due to ignorance to the other potential prospects, I am kind of hoping for Diogu, Granger, or Jarrett Jack. I think all three of those players can bring some very valuable stuff to this team either defensively or being able to play in the post, and also being able to get to the line, as all three are very good at doing that I believe.

But back to what I wanted to ask in the first place. How would you compare, rank, rate, etc. these two PG's and how they could/would help or affect this team? I am very interested defensively how good each one is, if you guys saw these guards play in college or what not. Wouldn't it be nice to have the 9th, 10th, and 11th pick? haha. Then we could probably grab all three of them to fill out our already 9 man rotation to a 12 man rotation. But anyway...What do you guys think about these PG's or any other PG's that I have missed that could be taken by the Warriors? Could Jack be an answer, or Raymond Felton? Or are Diogu and Granger clearly the better players and just way too important for the Warriors to pass up?