Presidential Primaries

Discussion in 'Chicago Bulls' started by such sweet thunder, Feb 5, 2008.

1. such sweet thunder

such sweet thunder Member Staff Member Moderator

One more great image. Go to the site!

[​IMG]

2. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    Hmmmm.... here's an actual reason to vote for McCain. Tempting.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05292008/gossi...oved_112946.htm

SUSAN SARANDON, who appeared in three films last year and won kudos for her TV movie "Bernard and Doris," is still not a contented soul. She says if John McCain gets elected, she will move to Italy or Canada. She adds, "It's a critical time, but I have faith in the American people."

3. Real

Real Dumb and Dumbest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Denny Crane @ May 30 2008, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Hmmmm.... here's an actual reason to vote for McCain. Tempting.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05292008/gossi...oved_112946.htm

SUSAN SARANDON, who appeared in three films last year and won kudos for her TV movie "Bernard and Doris," is still not a contented soul. She says if John McCain gets elected, she will move to Italy or Canada. She adds, "It's a critical time, but I have faith in the American people."</div>

She went to my college, which is quite ironic, since she's a huge liberal and our school leans to the conservative side.

There are a few stories about her on campus. One of them is years after she got her degree, she took it and sent it back to the school.

4. such sweet thunder

That reminded me of this grate blog I found: "Stuff White People Like," http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/.

* #101 Being Offended
    * #100 Bumper Stickers
    * #99 Grammar
    * #98 The Ivy League
    * #97 Scarves
    * #96 New Balance Shoes
    * #95 Rugby
    * #94 Free Healthcare
    * #93 Music Piracy
    * #92 Book Deals
    * #91 San Francisco
    * #90 Dinner Parties
    * #89 St. Patrick?€™s Day
    * #88 Having Gay Friends
    * #87 Outdoor Performance Clothes
    * #86 Shorts
    * #85 The Wire
    * #84 T-Shirts
    * #83 Bad Memories of High School
    * #82 Hating Corporations
    * #81 Graduate School
    * #80 The Idea of Soccer
    * #79 Modern Furniture
    * #78 Multilingual Children
    * #77 Musical Comedy
    * #76 Bottles of Water
    * #75 Threatening to Move to Canada
    * #74 Oscar Parties
    * #73 Gentrification
    * #72 Study Abroad
    * #71 Being the only white person around
    * #70 Difficult Breakups
    * #69 Mos Def
    * #68 Michel Gondry
    * #67 Standing Still at Concerts
    * #66 Divorce
    * #65 Co-Ed Sports
    * #64 Recycling
    * #63 Expensive Sandwiches
    * #62 Knowing What?€™s Best for Poor People
    * #61 Bicycles
    * #60 Toyota Prius
    * #59 Natural Medicine
    * #58 Japan
    * #57 Juno
    * #56 Lawyers
    * #55 Apologies
    * #54 Kitchen Gadgets
    * #53 Dogs
    * #52 Sarah Silverman
    * #51 Living by the Water
    * #50 Irony
    * #49 Vintage
    * #48 Whole Foods and Grocery Co-ops
    * #47 Arts Degrees
    * #46 The Sunday New York Times
    * #45 Asian Fusion Food
    * #44 Public Radio
    * #43 Plays
    * #42 Sushi
    * #41 Indie Music
    * #40 Apple Products
    * #39 Netflix
    * #38 Arrested Development
    * #37 Renovations
    * #36 Breakfast Places
    * #35 The Daily Show/Colbert Report
    * #34 Architecture
    * #33 Marijuana
    * #32 Vegan/Vegetarianism
    * #31 Snowboarding
    * #30 Wrigley Field
    * #29 80s Night
    * #28 Not having a TV
    * #27 Marathons
    * #26 Manhattan (now Brooklyn too!)
    * #25 David Sedaris
    * #24 Wine
    * #23 Microbreweries
    * #22 Having Two Last Names
    * #21 Writers Workshops
    * #20 Being an expert on YOUR culture
    * #19 Traveling
    * #18 Awareness
    * #17 Hating their Parents
    * #16 Gifted Children
    * #15 Yoga
    * #14 Having Black Friends
    * #13 Tea
    * #12 Non-Profit Organizations
    * #11 Asian Girls
    * #10 Wes Anderson Movies
    * #9 Making you feel bad about not going outside
    * #8 Barack Obama
    * #7 Diversity
    * #6 Organic Food
    * #5 Farmer?€™s Markets
    * #4 Assists
    * #3 Film Festivals
    * #2 Religions their parents don?€™t belong to
    * #1 Coffee

On threatening to move to Canada:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Often times, white people get frustrated with the state of their country. They do not like the President, or Congress, or the health care system, or the illegal status of Marijuana. Whenever they are presented with a situation that seems unreasonable to them, their first instinct is to threaten to move to Canada.

For example, if you are watching TV with white people and there is a piece on the news about that they do not agree with, they are likely to declare ?€œok, that?€™s it, I?€™m moving to Canada.?€?

Though they will never actually move to Canada, the act of declaring that they are willing to undertake the journey is very symbolic in white culture. It shows that their dedication to their lifestyle and beliefs are so strong, that they would consider packing up their entire lives and moving to a country that is only slightly different to the one they live in now.

Within white culture, it is agreed upon that if Canada had better weather it would be a perfect place.

Being aware that this information can be used quite easily to gain the trust of white people. Whenever they say, ?€œI?€™m moving to Canada,?€? you must immediately respond with ?€œI have relatives in Canada.?€?

They will then expect you to tell them about how Canada has a perfect healthcare system, legalized everything, and no crime. Though not true, it will reassure them that they are making the right choice by saying they want to move there.

But be warned, they will reference you in future conversations and possibly call on you to settle disputes about Canadian tax rates. So use this advice only if you plan to do some basic research.

Note: Canadian white people threaten to move to Europe.

Note: Europeans are unable to threaten to move anywhere.</div>

5. such sweet thunder

By the way, the site I pointed to the other day with fantastic election statistics: http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/. The author of the site outed himself today. It turns out he is a professional stats guy for Baseball Prospectus. Can't say I'm surprised.

6. JayJohnstone

JayJohnstone Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (such sweet thunder @ May 22 2008, 12:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>One more great image. Go to the site!

[​IMG]</div>

Can you explain this graph to me? The left hand side doesn't seem like Obama's margin in the polls over McCain in those states.

7. such sweet thunder

http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dhn8hrb6_4c43866dz

What is the 'Swing State Analysis'? Essentially, it's the percentage of the time that the state proves pivotal in determining the outcome of the election. There is exactly one 'swing state' assigned for each of the 10,000 simulations. The Swing State Analysis may serve as a good proxy for resource allocation by the candidates.

Cool huh?

8. Денг Гордон

Денг Гордон Member

That blog is pretty damn amazing!

9. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BG7 Lavigne @ May 31 2008, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>That blog is 'Ben Gordon' amazing!</div>

Fixed.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. [​IMG]

10. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Obama's Whitewater.

http://cbs2chicago.com/local/rezko.trial.v...t.2.740375.html

Jury Finds Tony Rezko Guilty On 16 Of 24 Charges
    Political Fundraiser Has Surrendered, To Begin Serving Time Immediately

(CBS) A prominent fundraiser for Sen. Barack Obama and Gov. Rod Blagojevich was convicted Wednesday of fraud and money laundering after a high-profile federal trial provided an unusually detailed glimpse of the pay-to-play politics that has made Illinois infamous.

Antoin "Tony" Rezko, 52, showed no emotion as the jury delivered a mixed verdict that found him guilty of scheming with the government's star witness to get kickbacks out of money management firms wanting state business, but acquitted him of charges that included attempted extortion.

Rezko attorney Joseph Duffy said the defense is "obviously very disappointed" in the jury's guilty verdicts. He said Wednesday afternoon they will pursue and appeal.

Duffy says it was Rezko's decision to surrender and begin serving his sentence. Sentencing is set for September 3rd at 10 a.m. The maximum sentence he could face is 20 years in prison.

The jury's mixed verdict acquitted Rezko of some of the most serious charges, including attempted extortion. Rezko was found guilty of 16 of 24 counts.

He was found guilty on the two more serious counts, on money laundering and aiding and abetting money laundering, counts 23 and 24.

The jury obviously took issue with some of the charges, resulting in the eight acquittals. They wrestled over matters in a 13-day deliberation process, delivering its verdict after a nine-week trial.

Some of the jurors chose to comment after the verdict was read, speaking about the scope of the trial and the role of star witness Stuart Levine.

"The task before us was a difficult and challenging one," said juror Susan Lopez. "It was with caution and great care that each juror viewed the evidence presented."

Juror Mona Lisa Mauricette said, "On those counts where Levine was involved, we put it in consideration with everything else. If there were e-mails involved, if there was the wiretapping involved, we put it all together, so we weren't just basing it on his testimony in those counts where we found guilty."

At least one juror indicated that the mention of Gov. Blagojevich during the trial had no effect on their deliberations.

Rezko has known Obama since he entered politics and was involved in a 2005 real estate deal with the Democratic presidential candidate, although testimony barely touched on their relationship. Most of the focus was on shakedowns prosecutors said Rezko arranged when he was a top adviser to Blagojevich.

Neither Blagojevich nor Obama has been accused of wrongdoing.

But DuPage County State's Attorney Joe Birkett, who ran against Blagojevich in the 2006 race for governor, said Wednesday that "Today's conviction should prompt the Illinois General Assembly to impose an
    immediate moratorium on the governor's ability to hand out any further no-bid contracts, bond fees, pension fees or other spoils of the pay-to-play system that has so defiled our state's reputation. We do not give the car keys to a serial drunk driver and we should not hand hard-earned taxpayers' money to a governor who has repeatedly abused the public trust by enriching his political friends to fatten his campaign treasury."

Birkett added, "The conviction of Tony Rezko represents a deep stain on the Democratic Party in Illinois. Democrats from top to bottom, including Barack Obama, stood idly by — and in some instances directly benefited — while the massive Blagojevich corruption scheme flourished. They rode into office promising to clean up after the George Ryan scandals and they have taken corruption in Illinois to a new low. They ought to be held accountable at the polls starting this November."

Illinois GOP Chairman Andy McKenna said, "Today's guilty verdict for Tony Rezko is another sad reminder of the broken political system in Illinois and the continuing nightmare of corruption in this state. The headlines tomorrow will reduce an already diminished faith in public service from a people - who in Illinois - face the highest gas prices in the nation, huge taxes and out-of-control spending. Democrats promised change and the people of Illinois have gotten the same old song and dance. Now that the trial has come to an end, it's time Rod Blagojevich came clean with the people of Illinois and answered the numerous questions surrounding his involvement with Tony Rezko."

Blagojevich was scheduled to discuss the case during a news conference at the Thompson Center Wednesday evening.

"A whole number of people who were involved seemed to think they could profit by taking the inside control, and I hope people step back and say when you do that, it's gonna come back and bite you in a serious way," U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald said. "And I hope people, if they don't get the moral sense, they shouldn't be taking the pensions of teachers and abusing it for their own purposes, to stick money in their own pocket; if they don't think the hospital system is something that should be operated as best it can be, instead of just operated to make money for your friends, if the morals don't get to them, I hope that the fear of going to jail does."

11. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    It ain't over 'till the fat lady sings. Apparently Hillary sings on Saturday.

12. Денг Гордон

Денг Гордон Member

Hillary is going to announce that Barack Obama is endorsing her campaign for the presidency for today.

13. huevonkiller

huevonkiller Change (Deftones)

Student.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Clinton suspends historic campaign, endorses Obama

By BETH FOUHY, Associated Press Writer
    2 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Hillary Rodham Clinton ended her historic campaign for the presidency on Saturday and told supporters to unite behind rival Barack Obama, closing out a race that was as grueling as it was groundbreaking.

The former first lady, who as recently as Tuesday declared herself the strongest candidate, gave Obama an unqualified endorsement and pivoted from her role as determined foe to absolute ally.

"The way to continue our fight now to accomplish the goals for which we stand is to take our energy, our passion, our strength and do all we can to help elect Barack Obama, the next president of the United States," she said in a speech before cheering supporters packed into the ornate National Building Museum, not far from the White House she longed to govern from.

"Today as I suspend my campaign, I congratulate him on the victory he has won and the extraordinary race he has run. I endorse him and throw my full support behind him and I ask of you to join me in working as hard for Barack Obama as you have for me," the New York senator said in her 28-minute address.</div>

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080607/ap_on_el_pr/clinton

14. MikeDC

MikeDC Member

Professor
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Denny Crane @ Jun 5 2008, 10:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>It ain't over 'till the fat lady sings. Apparently Hillary sings on Saturday.</div>

Hillary seems pretty fit for a lady of 112 years.

15. such sweet thunder

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MikeDC @ Jun 7 2008, 07:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Denny Crane @ Jun 5 2008, 10:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>It ain't over 'till the fat lady sings. Apparently Hillary sings on Saturday.</div>

</div>

I'd do her. . . Well, I would.

16. JayJohnstone

JayJohnstone Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (such sweet thunder @ Jun 10 2008, 02:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MikeDC @ Jun 7 2008, 07:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Denny Crane @ Jun 5 2008, 10:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>It ain't over 'till the fat lady sings. Apparently Hillary sings on Saturday.</div>

</div>

I'd do her. . . Well, I would.
    </div>

Be sure to have Spinal Tap's Big Bottoms playing in the background. Talk about bun cakes, my baby's got em.