Prigioni

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Rastapopoulos, Jan 18, 2013.

1. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Never been a big fan of this guy. I'd get Eric Maynor back from the Chinese league before I'd go this old at pt guard.

2. oldfisherman

oldfisherman Unicorn Wrangler

If this was a playoff team, and needed a cheap insurance BUPG for a season, OK pick up Prigioni.

However, as said before in this thread, what is the point?

Why give minutes to a player that won’t be in the NBA in a season or two? Those BUPG minutes should go to developing a younger player that has the potential to be a productive Blazer for years.

However, do not give the BUPG minutes to CJ. CJ is not a BUPG and never will be. CJ is a scoring guard. The plan to play CJ at BUPG is one of the big reasons I believe we only win 20 games or less.

If Olshey lands a decent BUPG before the season starts, I will increase my win projection to more than 20 games.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  3. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Can I get those lottery numbers to ol' soothsayer?

4. oldfisherman

I don’t know if you can or not? You may if you want to, and can.

Also, I have no idea who ol’soothsayer is, and what lottery numbers you are talking about?

In other words (no offense intended), I am totally lost trying answer your question. I think we are 2 or 3 generations apart trying to communicate with each other.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  5. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    The holdup would probably be on his end. I think he'd stay in the NBA if (say) the Cavs picked him up, but he might prefer buggering off back to Spain over being part of a major rebuild.

6. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    I'd take anybody over Frazier at this point. I just don't get Olshey's love for him. He can dribble the ball and that's about it. Although I'm sure he tried picking someone up.

7. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    It's been my experience that teams tend to do this: mix in vets who Know How To Play, even if they're not athletic or as naturally talented as the young'uns so that you can bench the young player if he just goes off and does his own thing. For example, Jerry Sloan benched Deron Williams behind some journeyman scrub whose name escapes me his first year because Williams didn't know how to be a PG yet. If you have only young players then they tend to magnify and encourage each others' defects. (The same is true in the classroom: I got a feel for what teaching high school must be like when I taught a "first year seminar" once - even though the kids were all bright, they were all kids, and most of my job became crowd control.) Why do you think Bogans was on our Summer League team?

8. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Don't underestimate the importance (Olshey puts in) will to win. Frazier clearly cares a lot, and managed to win in the D-League against more talented players.
    (Also: I remember us saying "I'd try anybody over Blake! Put Frazier in" last season.)

9. riverman

riverman Writing Team

If any team needed a pt guard now, it's Denver..they let Prigioni go..that says something. I agree that vets can help mentor but we actually pay an assistant coach to do that now. Andre Miller, now that's an old vet I would love to bring back.

dviss1 likes this.
  10. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    For an old geezer, his defense isn't too bad. He's right behind Beverley and ahead of Lillard.

11. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    Winning MVP of the D League is like getting "Best Arbor On An Out House." There are guys playing in that league who I thought were playing for the Flint Michigan Tropics. Just Sayin.'

12. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Thing about Dre is: he's an almost pathological loner. If you want vets to mentor young players, you don't want Dre. They can just watch him on tape if you want them to learn by example.

13. riverman

riverman Writing Team

They have to practice against him, that's a school of it's own. It's the court awareness and precision passing that Dre excells at. He posts up fairly well too. Smart, smart pt guard. Absolutely my number one choice for the old guy.

14. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Sure, but there have also been a ton of guys who've played there who've gone on to be solid NBA players.

15. oldfisherman

I agree with you 100%, but would like to expand on your thoughts as related to this roster.

A savvy veteran player should result in making a positive impact in the development of the less experienced players. The very reason I argued in another thread to keep Kaman on the roster.

We had a savvy veteran BUPG to mentor the kids. But he is gone now, (Blake). The ideal replacement would be a savvy veteran BUPG that is in the same age range as the rest of the rotation players, 22-28 years. Not 38 years old.

Until Olshey finds a savy veteran BUPG, we are stuck in a youth development plan, and more loses than this roster deserves.

16. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Lol none taken. In your previous post you had indicated that CJ would never be a good backup PG. Since you are so good at telling the future, I wanted to know what the next winning lottery numbers would be! :lol:

17. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    There are various teaching roles a veteran can adopt:
    1. teaching by example on the court (this depends on the coaching staff explaining why Old Guy is getting minutes over you, rookie)
    2. taking you under his wing off the court
    3. teaching you in practice

Certain vets are much better at 2 and 3 and have a rep for it. Olshey seems to like those guys. Bogans seems to be one of those guys. I don't think Blake or Dre is one - they're both pretty quiet. Now, Prigioni is also pretty quiet, but he's also a Spanish speaker, and I think we need a Big Brother for Montero if he's to flourish.

18. oldfisherman

Yes I did, and stand by those words. And thanks the friendly tune-up.

CJ has not shown any development of his PG skills, none, despite being given numerous chances. He has averaged 1 assist per game or less. Every time CJ runs the point; the rest of the players on the floor go into a tail spin, and the other team takes advantage.

CJ can score, but he can not run the point. Stotts/Olshey are trying to pound a square peg into a round hole.

dviss1 and Orion Bailey like this.
  19. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

I agree and if he does improve his PG play, it will still only be average compared to other backups, where as if you give him the 6th man SG role and let him know he will get his 30 minutes in that spot, then he will know his role and can become an all star 6th man. Still need a defensive starter to pair with Dame.

20. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

And witnessing all of his off-season development has brought you to this conclusion? We still have that, training camp, and preseason to go. Not to mention this whole next season is one of development. I'll trust the pros on that decision. Did you doubt Meyers Leonard too? How do you like your crow? Grilled? Deep fried? Rotisserie?

Orion Bailey likes this.