Religion PSA: Formula 1 2022 season is upon us

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by andalusian, Mar 11, 2022.

1. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

After last year which was great until the last couple of laps where the FIA official robbed everyone by bending the rules, we are back with a whole new set of technical regulations.

http://www.sportstwo.com/threads/psa-formula-1-2021-season-starts-this-weekend.364355/

The FIA finally admitted that Masi mucked it up by basically removing him and setting new race marshals for this year.

First official pre-season testing started. Whole new cars with a return for ground effects for the first time since the 80s - the idea being that a lot of the downforce is created by an upside down wing on the floor - instead of using the wings on the car - with the idea that it will allow for closer racing since there is less "bad air" behind the cars so it is easier to follow and try to overtake.

What is interesting is to see the cars porpoising (bouncing up and down) because of the ground effects - and wondering how this would affect the drivers.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  2. andalusian

The Scuderia is back and in force, and the new tech regulations make for an amazing race.

3. andalusian

Love the Memes for this season...

4. andalusian

Helmet Cams for the night races are fantastic.

5. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Formula One hits the jackpot in Las Vegas after sealing a deal worth £1BILLION over 10 years for a Grand Prix along the famous Strip starting in 2023, the biggest payday in the sport's history
    • Formula One chiefs have potentially sealed the sport's first ever £1billion deal with a new race in the calendar
    • The Las Vegas Grand Prix is now set to join next year's 2023 schedule following lengthy talks
    • The 50-lap extravaganza will be held on one of the two last November weekends from next year
    • It is believed the race, held on Vegas' famous Strip, could generate around £100million per race
    • So should the arrangement last a decade, the billion-pound mark will be exceeded
    [​IMG]

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...-year-racing-chiefs-hit-jackpot-1bn-deal.html

6. SlyPokerDog

That is going to be so badass!

7. andalusian

Yup, very late race, 10:00pm local time.

8. SlyPokerDog

I saw that. Let me know where you're staying and I'll watch the race from your room.

andalusian and Phatguysrule like this.
  9. andalusian

Unlikely to go. I have attended GPs in Europe and it is really hard to access anything. If there is anything to be said about the IRL / old Champ cars - pit access is easy (cars are ugly and the racing often feels artificial, but they do fan access a million times better than F1).

I purchased F1's version of the NBA's season pass - it gives you access to all the crew / car communications - and all sessions - that's probably better than watching in person from the Venetian or where-ever one can get a super expensive room for that night.

I will admit to missing sitting at the festival curves in PIR to watch the cars racing from a pretty good location - but if you do not have tickets there, the PIR seating used to be pretty awful as well. The Grandstand on the main runway is a boring place to watch the race from, there are not many seats on the back side (or at least were not last time I was there) - and even those are usually just grass area so not the most comfortable, and no videos to watch what is happening in other parts of the track. So, car racing, if you can not do it yourself, in my experience, it is usually better to watch on a proper TV feed than in person, unless you know exactly where the good viewing points are and can get tickets there.

SlyPokerDog and EL PRESIDENTE like this.
  10. SlyPokerDog

Be honest, it's because I'm a dog, right?

andalusian likes this.
  11. andalusian

I like Dogs.

Just out of interest, will hotels on the strip allow you to bring dogs, unless they are service dogs?

Another question - what services can you provide?

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  12. SlyPokerDog

I'm good at finding hot bitches and free drinks.

ehizzy3, andalusian and Phatguysrule like this.
  13. andalusian

That sounds like competition, not service.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  14. andalusian

Lando gets it.

15. andalusian

Dikembe Mutombo, reincarnated.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  16. andalusian

No more basketball for a while, and just before F1 goes on a summer break, the French GP is upon us to give us LSD vibes without having to take LSD...

[​IMG]

17. ehizzy3

ehizzy3 RIP mgb

This year for the first time I’ve been loosely following f1

I still don’t have a favorite driver or team tho

18. andalusian

I have been a fan for decades and it was never about the team for me long term, it is always a team based on technical regulations.

So, from a sport point, I am mostly a driver fan and currently my favorites are Leclerc and Alonso (but I do not really hate anyone now that Mazepin is out of the sport).

The thing that is interesting about Formula 1 is that it is both a sport and an engineering exercise. I was a big fan of the Ferrari solution to the new regulations from the get go, did not care for their solutions for the previous generation at all.

ehizzy3 likes this.
  19. ehizzy3

ehizzy3 RIP mgb

interesting

what makes Alonso and LeClerc your favorites?

20. andalusian

Both are just pure talent while being fair. I think Max is as talented as these guys but he does not always play fair, and to a lesser degree it is also true about Lewis.

Both Alonso and Leclerc have done magic with crap cars. Alonso was 3 points away from winning a WDC with a Ferrari that was probably the 3rd best car on the grid.

In a way Alonso is a combination of Lewis and Max, he has all the talent in the world like Max and the determination that Lewis has. He also will try overtakes that no-one but Max will attempt, with the difference that he knows when these overtakes make no sense and he has the good sense to get out of it - which Max does not always have (he seems better this year, winning the WDC last year has really matured him).

Another thing that Alonso and Leclerc seem to have in common is that they are very smart drivers. You could see it in action in the first race of the season where Max, in a faster car, was hunting Leclerc which was in front and Leclerc realized how the multiple DRS zones worked before anyone else did, and he would let him pass early in the first DRS zone so he could get DRS for the 2nd zone and overtake him again, and Max who is far from stupid did not understand it until later. H believe he managed to get it only in the 2nd race in his 2nd or 3rd overtake attempt.

Alonso, being so experienced has taken it to an even crazier level.

See this for example:

SlyPokerDog and ehizzy3 like this.