Exclusive Purgatory

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by TBpup, Dec 12, 2016.

1. JFizzleRaider

JFizzleRaider Sad Panda Global Moderator

Festus is our 2016 version of RLEC. I doubt he plays one game for the blazers.

SwissBlazer, Tunchi and UKRAINEFAN like this.
  2. chzbrgr

chzbrgr Well-Known Member

no his career is all but over

Tunchi likes this.
  3. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

But I'm so confused......I thought we were supposed to be better than the Warriors and Spurs this season?

Tunchi likes this.
  4. riverman

riverman Writing Team

We're better than the Lakers and we all know that's what counts...

5. Tunchi

Tunchi Well-Known Member

Haha

6. 3RA1N1AC

3RA1N1AC 00110110 00111001

Something will be done at the deadline.

Duh!

7. chzbrgr

I hope so but I'm not holding my breath.

8. stampedehero

stampedehero Make Your Day, a Doobies Day Staff Member Moderator

Part Time Building Inspector
    For Blazer players its like getting your fingers slammed into a car door pillar. Other teams are beating us inside out.

9. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

10. Haakzilla

Haakzilla Well-Known Member

SEOWebDesignLLC.com
    ... @TBpup did you forget your Blazersland.com login?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    TBpup, Chris Craig and HailBlazers like this.
  11. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    You can just stop there.

BBert and riverman like this.
  12. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

So, what's the answer? You hint at several things (tanking to get a lottery pick trading C.J., etc.), but never come right out a make a specific recommendation.

The problem with tanking as that as long as Damian Lillard is a Blazer and even anywhere close to his prime, we will never suck bad enough to get a top 3 pick. And these days, you seem to need multiple top 3 picks (or the ability to acquire top notch free agents) to become a contender. Look at PHI, look at MIN. How many top 3 picks have they both had and yet there they are, both 6-18. Is that what we should be aspiring to? Will either ever become a contender, or even make the playoffs, before their young high lottery picks get tired of losing and flee the sinking ship?

Hell, look at CLE. It took them getting THE best player drafted in the last 20 years (arguably, THE best since 1984), losing that player for 4 years, getting the No. 1 pick in 3 of those 4 years (plus two more top 4 picks) and getting back said great player for nothing to finally won a championship. Everyone remembers that because it's recent history, but what most people forget was CLE was in the lottery four years in a row before they got LeBron. He was their 5th lottery pick in a row, and they were still in the lottery again the year after they drafted him. So, it took them 6 lottery picks in a row including LeBron, before they even made the playoffs. And then he had to leave and they got 5 more top 4 picks while he was gone. Altogether CLE had 11 lottery picks between 1999 and 2014, including the ultimate prize in LeBron James, and it still took him leaving for 4 years and coming back, for them to finally win a title.

We're lucky. We got a top 3 talent in the 2012 draft while only having the 6th pick, and we didn't tank to get that pick, it was acquired via trade. Several of the players you use as examples of how to build a contender, were not lottery picks. Manu wasn't (57th pick). Tony Parker wasn't (28th pick). You didn't mention him, but Kawhi wasn't (15th pick acquired via trade). Draymond wasn't (35th pick). Is missing the playoffs to get the 13th or 14th pick going to help us any more than making the playoffs and getting the 15th or 16th pick? It seems like it would be losing for the sake of losing.

We also lucked out with C.J. He's averaging over 20 ppg for the second season in a row. There isn't a single player drafted ahead of him that's ever averaged 18 ppg once. We are blessed to have two 20ppg scores considering where we drafted. Even though they are defensive liabilities, you don't give that away unless you are getting someone better in return. If you give up C.J., you better be getting back another 20+ ppg scorer who also addresses another need (defense or rebounding). C.J. is young, still improving and locked up long term. You need to get something really special in return to give that up. Otherwise, you're just treading water - best case.

I had hoped we'd be able to land a 2-way front court payer over the summer. Someone who can be a legitimate 3rd scoring option, that also plays defense and rebounds. There were guys like that available (Horeford, Whiteside, etc.), but we stuck out. We still need to drastically upgrade BOTH the starting center and power forward positions. We probably won't get a 2-way stud at either of those positions. If not, we should look to get one defensive/rebounding stud to pair with a big time scorer.

And, as much as Mo Harkless has improved, I would look to upgrade the starting SF position if we can't get what we need at the 4 and 5. Mo has become an efficient scorer, but is still a weak rebounder and passer. He's still a long way from being a complete player. I'm not saying to shop him, but I wouldn't hesitate to move him if it was part of a package that addressed a bigger need (a stud center or power forward), or for a clear upgrade at his position.

I think the best strategy at this point is to keep our two best players, play to win and see what we can get via trade. There are a lot of teams underachieving and a lot of disgruntled players on those teams. Some of those teams may look to blow it up, and when they do, Neal needs to pounce. I know he's said in the past he's not a big fan of mid-season trades because they mess up team chemistry, but clearly what we have now isn't working. Our needs are glaring and obvious. In this case, all the chemistry in the world isn't going to make up for the talent deficit we have in our front court. Get whatever help you can get when you can get it.

BNM

13. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Just wait til Aminu and Festus come back.

14. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

Lol

JFizzleRaider likes this.
  15. Drttimmy

Drttimmy Well-Known Member

Regarding CJ and Dame, in the history of the game, I can't think of a championship contending team led by two smaller scoring guards that didn't play defense. If someone can recall, I'd love to hear it and maybe that particular team would be a template to emulate. As is, I think we'll be stuck in middling purgatory as long as they continue to be our two best players.

TBpup and Nikolokolus like this.
  16. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    Great point...I can't think of an example either. The closest I could come up with off the top of my head was the Pistons led by Thomas/Dumars. Both smallish, scoring guards but Dumars was one of the best defensive guards in the league and the Pistons had a legit low post threat in Aguirre/Edwards along with a Center who could consistently hit from the outside while playing physical defense.

Portland isn't close on many of those categories.

17. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

And until 2015, a primarily jump shooting team didn't win a title either. The game is changing. There's a greater emphasis on skill, shooting, and movement. Regardless of the other 3 players on the floor, we won't ever have worse than a top 10 offense when we have 48 mins of Dame and CJ. You don't just give up that advantage. Can't always look for a historical precedent when the whole paradigm is shifting.

The key is to fill the other 3 positions (and bench) in a way to address the backcourt's weakness.

18. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    I agree that the game is changing but the more it changes, the more it stays the same in some aspects. Draymond Green and Klay Thompson were 2 of the best in the league on defense at their positions. When the Cavs won last year, it was because they locked the Warriors down on defense especially in the last 6 minutes of the game 7 4th quarter.

Dame/CJ is an advantage but without much else, they are more like Ellis/Curry and that combo did nothing for the Warriors. It wasn't until they shipped off Ellis for a defensive center (Bogut) and got a defensive minded guard to team with Curry (Thompson) that they started getting better.

19. chzbrgr

Dont forget they had young dennis rodman too that team was scary good.

20. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    So make a trade for Bogut (Leonard plus pick?) and get Chief totally healthy, coupled with Harkless continuing to improve on D and you've got a pretty solid defensive 3 to backstop Dame and CJ. Realistically, that's about the most that can be accomplished until next summer, when CJ's PPP goes away and Olshey can weigh the long term viability of that backcourt pairing.