Notice Quack

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Hoopguru, Oct 13, 2018.

1. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

There can be an argument made about the length of the NBA season and teams being able to find that certain chemistry. Also there can be an argument made about certain elements like injuries and teams falling apart due to locker room issues. Another thing that has been brought up before is that in the NBA the difference between a bad team and a very good team is a very small measure.
    With all those aspects being in place however small the probability is? The Blazers can indeed win a championship this year. The first step would be getting into the playoffs with the best seed they can get. Anything can happen in the second season as was obvious three seasons ago when the Warriors came up against pretty much every opponent with a major injury. Championships Happen.

2. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Ok. I enjoy college football more than the NBA, but love the Blazers more than anything

kjironman1 and TorturedBlazerFan like this.
  3. Mediocre Man

Look at Bones and I having a discussion. It really CAN be done

4. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    Id be on this if they fixed the playoff system to include all power 5 conference winners. As it is now I get so frustrated that at the alabama always gets in no matter what, and a couple conferences might get screwed but thats ok because its alabama...

5. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

But can you really say they don't deserve to be there?

6. Mediocre Man

Alabama has deserved to be in though. Getting it to 8, and only 8 will be the key

7. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    Maybe not this year, but theyve had years where they didnt win their division or their conference and got in. Its a self-fulfilling prophecy for the SEC and especially bama, they are always in there even when they have little to no good ooc wins, so they win quite a bit but they’re ALWAYS there. Put just about any upper echelon power 5 school in there every single year and their gonna win a few. (Bama isnt undefeated in the playoffs...)
    Their contract with ESPN has meant the money says that they will always pick an sec team or two, and build all of those schools up so that their losses dont hurt much and their wins are ‘impressive’.

8. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    I hope with the recruiting Cristobal gets this team some heart. They have 0 fight.
    Im not convinced Herberts going to be a good nfl qb.

The most dissapointing part of being an oregon fan the last few years is how its like clock work when the season starts to get rough they all start to pout and stop trying.
    I keep wishing we could go back and hire Peterson instead of Heilfrich (sp?).

9. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    There is no way Petersen would havd been hired after Kelly. The job came with Greatwood, Frost, Pellum, Campbell, et all. Helfrich got it because he was willing to accept the coaching staff already there. I think anyway you look at it, the rebuulding process is going to take longer under Cridtobal. The players just arent there yet.

10. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    https://www.seattletimes.com/sports...d-on-chance-to-woo-chris-petersen-from-boise/

There are many articles all saying that Petersen definitely wouldve been interested. It was more about Oregon wanting to just continue there thing.

11. ripcityboy

self employed
    That's not true. And I've heard that narrative from Huskies fans for a couple of years. Oregon was actually interested BEFORE Helfrich took over, but Petersen soured at the way he was treated by Oregon's handlers. There was a good chance he would have been Belotti's successor. But he likes to run his own show and in order to get the Oregon job you have to please Knight and Kilkenny. Helfrich was willing to do that. That's why he was hired.

Oregon fans have this alterative universe fantasy where Petersen was the answer to all their problems. And it's just not true. It never was. If he was going to come here it would have happened. He could have had the USC job but the hiring came with conditions he didn't like. UW was always his destination.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  12. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    and in order to get t he Oregonhave happene
    Proof?
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.re...ight-guy-for-huskies.html.csp?template=ampart
    Belotti doesnt say anything about Petersen being his successor just that when he was ad he called him about if the job opened up.

All I know is the stuff Ive read or heard, and everything Ive ever read has led me to believe that there may have been a chance to get Petersen but the ducks choose Helfrich instead.

13. ripcityboy

self employed
    Kilkenny and Knight hired the firm that did the whole coaching search, Kilkenny was AD himself when Kelly was hired. The assistant staff had been there since Reagan was in office. If Petersen had wanted the job both times, there were conditions. Not every coach is willing to do at. He was offered other jobs like USC and didn't take those. UW was the fit he was looking for and his dad was a Huskies fan. But it wasn't because Oregon were negligent to the candidates. Now hiring Wille Taggart. That was a fuck up.

14. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

Pretty clear now that the UW game was a fluke and the Ducks are now nothing but bottom feeders. How does a progam implode so quickly? How do they hire 3 train wreck coaches in a row?

Do I sound angry and frustrated? Good. If enough alum turn off the TV and stop buying tickets, gear, etc, maybe the people running the program will notice something isn't right with the program.

15. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    Oregon didn't want to move on from their coaching staff, I get that, but the conditions were pretty stupid. Even if Petersen wasn't available, the hiring of Helfrich was a joke, and it was the moment they did it. He was just Chip Kelly Jr., but not nearly as smart as senior, and didn't make any adjustments.
    Say Petersen doesn't even exist, they've still really botched at least 2 of the last 3 hires, I'll give Cristobal some time still...

16. ripcityboy

self employed
    I think the defense staff is decent but the offense has got worse and worse. Cristobal needs to do what Dabo Swinney did upgrade the OC. Arroyo needs to go. The play calling is totally unimaginative. They run everything from the Pistol but the line is constantly being beaten on blocks. When they do pass. It's always to Dillon Mitchell and he's getting his ass lit up.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  17. ripcityboy

self employed
    I don't know if the conditions were stupid. I think they were just following the same processes that had led to 2 NC appearances in 5 years, 2 Rose Bowl victories, and over 40 years of successful coaching. Assistant coaches like Terry Venables, Bud Foster and Gary Campbell are harder to find than hen's teeth. Oregon was just playing the averages. Now that they have made a couple of bad selections they are just returning to normal.

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.
  18. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    Fair enough. I remember to this day, when they hired helfrich how frustrated I was. Still kind of ticks me off, I thought that was such a bad move from the get go. The problem I see is they've recruited a bunch of kids who thought they were going to that school that was on the rise, and would be competing for NC's and it seems like every year for the past few years once they realize they won't be competing on that stage, they just flat out quit. I seriously hope Cristobal's recruiting guys who are going to fight when things look tough instead of pout.

ripcityboy likes this.
  19. ripcityboy

self employed
    I was angry at Helfrich for a while but I can't blame him. Oregon was his dream job and he did the best he could. The program had been hiring head coaches from within since 1995. It was only an amount of time before they made a bad move and Washington made the right one. Helfrich is a brilliant offensive mind though. Look at what he's doing with Chicago and Trubisky. He's just not a head coach. Oregon at least new quality. Not the fly by night hack they chose next in Wille Taggart.

I am not willing to pull the plug on Cristobal though. That is a very one sided team without much talent. They also need an upgrade in the coaching ranks. It's going to take a couple of years to get back to where they want to be.

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.
  20. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Arizona has been a real pain in the ass over the years. Not sure why that team has been such a headache.