Quarter-finals: Netherlands v Brazil

Discussion in 'Football Discussion' started by M Two One, Jun 29, 2010.

1. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    2 July 2010 (16:00)
    Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, Port Elizabeth

2. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    Likely starting formations: Netherlands (left) Brazil (right)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

BIG BIG GAME!!!!

LETS GO ORANJE!!!!!

Holland to win 4-3. :)

4. ¹²³

¹²³ ¼½¾

Brazil is having some troubles with injuries. Elano, Felipe Melo and Julio Batista are all injuried and we don't know if they will be able to play. And Ramires got his second yellow card and is suspended for this match.

The bright side is that Kaká is getting in better shape. I bet he will have a pretty good game against Netherlands. And Robinho sould be better too after his so-so game against Chile.

I think Brazil takes this one.

5. CelticKing

We'll find out if it payed off having Dunga (a defensive minded coach) leave out Pato, Dinho, etc.

I just hope it doesn't end up in penalties like in 1998 haha. This is a game actually where I wouldn't be mad if Brasil win, it's either Deutschland, Holland or Brasil to win it all. :)

6. ¹²³

¹²³ ¼½¾

I hope it's more like in 1994.

[video=youtube;e5djksab8sw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5djksab8sw[/video]

7. CelticKing

^ last goal was amazing man :)

8. ¹²³

¹²³ ¼½¾

Yes. People always talk about Branco's goal. It's something every brazilian has printed in his memory. We were 24 years without winning a WC and this goal really was a life saver for us. I love how Romário get out of the way just in time and the goalkeeper can't see the ball.

[video=youtube;f90zTO7BQ-I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f90zTO7BQ-I[/video]

It was a really tense game, that goal was a relief.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  9. CelticKing

Brasil play such a beautiful game man, it's amazing how talented they are. Are they talking in the media there in Brasil about the possibility of winning it all this year and then coming back to Brasil for 2014 to defend the title?

10. ¹²³

¹²³ ¼½¾

Brazilians always expect to win and they are never happy with their team. When we won in 1994 a lot of people said they would prefer to play more of a beautiful game than to win like they did. It's pretty similar to this WC, Dunga (who was the team captain in 1994) is really trying to follow that team's path. But the thing is that Romário was trully a genius, I don't think we have anyone in this brazilian team at the same level he was in 1994.

After 26 years of not getting it done, Brazil reached 3 straight finals and won 2 titles. So my generation is somewhat always expecting at least to reach the Finals, and this isn't really feasable in the long run. Anyway, of course we are optmistic about winning at home.

CelticKing likes this.
  11. CelticKing

I personally always expect Brasil to be in top 4 haha. It's like a sure thing to happen no matter who's playing in the team, the name alone takes them to the top. ;)

It'll be amazing if they win it now and again in 2014, I will do my best to try and make it for the next world cup.

12. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    I'm not impressed with Brazil's tactics as we've seen alarming problems leading up to this match. Brazil are up against a Dutch side that is superior tactically. Attack is the best form of defense against the Dutch since their back line isn't that strong. However, their two deep lying midfielders are very difficult to break down and are there for this reason. I'm sure that Kaká will be covered by Nigel de Jong, who is a defensive monster and is having an incredible tournament so far.

Fact is that if you give the Dutch control, as with the Brazilians, they will make you pay because they can be the best in the World at keeping possession. Their lead up to the World Cup has proven this. In my honest opinion, the Dutch have far more options going forward than Brazil not only in depth but in quality. This is why I've been so impressed with the Dutch more than ever before.

The only change I would make to the starting eleven is that they need to start Eljero Elia opposite Arjen Robben. If you aren't that familiar with Elia, you will be if he starts. Along with Luis Suárez, Elia has been at the top of my list for a breakout World Cup. This is the perfect team to unleash him onto as he thrives on breaking down highly skilled players with his incredible skill, pace and acceleration on and off of the ball. If he breaks free, there is absolutely no catching him.

Poor officiating out of mind, this should be a great match.

13. CelticKing

I'm still surprised why Elia doesn't start. by the way some dutch media are saying Persie is mad that he was taken out of the game vs. Slovakia, and there's rumors that Afellay will start in his place. it should be Elia like you said M21.

14. ¹²³

¹²³ ¼½¾

15. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    I feel bad for Elano because he's had such harsh criticism since moving to Manchester City. The guy is a great player.

Ibrahim Afellay is another pacey player, but I would still start Elia. I doubt those rumors are true about Robin van Persie though as what we seen at the end of the match isn't uncommon. Strikers don't like to be taken off after they've broken down the defense. He's probably already over it.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  16. CelticKing

I like Afellay as well, very good player, but should be either Persie or Elia for first half, then if things are going back bring Afellay, when their defense gets tired. (if they ever do haha)

17. ¹²³

¹²³ ¼½¾

Here is a very good article about the discussion of brazilian style of play: When the Dutch led the way

18. Mr.Gunner

Mr.Gunner Member

it's gonna be close, but brazil in the end.

19. agoo

agoo Member

I'd like to come up with something more creative, but I agree with the above. Brazil take what should be a great match late.

20. ¹²³

¹²³ ¼½¾

It's time. See you guys soon. Enjoy.