Quick: A new Meyers Leonard

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Scalma, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

http://www.csnnw.com/portland-trail...-could-be-better-you-think-new-meyers-leonard

One of the first things Meyers Leonard did this summer with Drew Hanlen, his new trainer, was watch the Trail Blazers’ final regular season game against New Orleans.

Leonard started that game and played 36 minutes, finishing 3-for-11 from the field and with seven points and nine rebounds.

“It was hard for me to sit there and watch it,’’ Leonard said.

He couldn’t score in the post against guards. He noticed he wasn’t attacking rebounds. And the form of his shot was disjointed and his attempts off the mark.

“It was eye opening,’’ the 7-foot-1 Leonard remembered. “I was making it so difficult on myself.’’

The regular-season finale was a microcosm of his frustrating fifth season in Portland, when he averaged 5.4 points, 3.2 rebounds and shot 38.5 percent from the field.

After the film session, Hanlen -- whose resume includes training NBA players Bradley Beal, Andrew Wiggins, Jordan Clarkson, Joel Embiid and Dwight Howard to name a few -- developed a plan.

“It was a plan to prepare him for this kind of ‘New Meyers,’’’ Hanlen said.

The major bullet points of the rebuild were to tighten Leonard’s shooting mechanics; get him to play lower and less upright; and to develop a plan on how to approach various scenarios, such as when defenders rush at him at the three-point line.

“But the first area we had to attack was the cloud that was holding him back – his confidence,’’ Hanlen said. “When he first arrived in the summer I asked him ‘From 1-to-100, how confident are you in your game?’

“He said, ‘If I’m being honest, probably around 30,’’’ Hanlen said.

Fast forward four months to today, less than a week away from the start of training camp.

Leonard says his confidence level is “in the 80s” and Hanlen says in all his years of working with NBA players, Leonard’s progress is remarkable.

“From a confidence level, it’s one of the biggest jumps I’ve seen a player make in a summer,’’ Hanlen said. “And from a skill level standpoint, Meyers elevated himself multiple levels.’’

Apparently, Leonard and Hanlen aren’t the only ones noticing.

Leonard this summer took part in the renowned NBA pickup games at UCLA two or three times a week, and Hanlen said several of his clients approached him about the 7-footer from Portland.

“I was getting compliments from NBA players like ‘Meyers is a beast … I don’t know why Portland is not using him,’’ Hanlen said. “Other players, they were bragging to me about him.’’

Leonard said those games included players such as LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, DeMar DeRozan, and one week the entire Oklahoma City team played.

“I was out there as confident as I’ve ever been – hitting shots … down in the post … and having a plan of what I wanted to do,’’ he said. “I had a couple different people tell me they heard things, stuff like ‘If Meyers plays like this he will be just fine … it will be eye opening … ‘’

Leonard stopped short and retreated. He is wary of what he says these days, knowing all too well how much of a divisive force he is among the Blazers’ fan base, and how many “remakes” he has supposedly undergone during his five seasons in Portland.

Both he and Hanlen agree that the proof will be in his performance this season.

“I will say this: This is the most laser-focused I have been in my life. For sure,’’ Leonard said. “I no longer have thoughts in head of ‘Do I really belong?’ – I no longer have that and never will again. I’ve proven that to myself.’’

That confidence was born out of 6:15 a.m. wakeup calls for daily workouts with Hanlen in Los Angeles.

The biggest changes: Hanlen has changed Leonard’s shooting mechanics, most of which deals with balance. He found that Leonard would often lean back on his shots and/or have his feet to close together. So now, Leonard focuses on his shoulders being forward and establishing a wide base with his feet.

Also, he has trained Leonard to play lower, which allows him to move better, both offensively and defensively.

Finally, Hanlen developed what he calls a “plan” for Leonard in how to thrive within the Blazers’ system.

“He has to be able to play within that system, but before he would set a screen and then float around the perimeter,’’ Hanlen said. “He didn’t have a purpose.’’

So they worked on a series of options – pick-and-pop … a dive to the basket where he worked on finishing with both hands … a short roll to the basket … a one-dribble and attack the basket.

“That way he can keep defenses off balance and open more space for Damian and CJ while becoming more of a threat himself, instead of just drifting around the perimeter,’’ Hanlen said.

To accentuate Leonard’s new skills, Hanlen wanted Leonard to lose weight.

“Today in the NBA, thin is in,’’ Hanlen said. “You not only move better, you recover quicker.’’

Leonard played between 262 and 265 pounds last season and initially thought he wanted to bulk to 270 pounds this season. But with the urging of Hanlen to lose weight to become more mobile, Leonard says he is at 257.5 pounds as he enters training camp.

“I feel great,’’ Leonard said. “This is the healthiest I’ve been since I’ve been in Portland.’’

Now comes the hard part: proving it.

The Blazers’ have a stable of big men with Jusuf Nurkic, Ed Davis, Noah Vonleh, Al-Farouq Aminu and a burgeoning rookie in Caleb Swanigan. In order to break into the roation, Leonard will have to earn it and he knows it will take time.

“It’s going to be a day-by-day thing,’’ Leonard said. “A lot of people know in the back of their mind that I can play. Did I show that last year? Occasionally, but not really. So gaining the players’ trust to throw me the ball, gaining Coach Stotts’ trust to put me in to help the team win … I’m going to have to keep chipping at that. And I’m sure there will be bumps in the road.

“In the meantime, I don’t want to get too far ahead of myself,’’ Leonard said. “It was a good summer. I’m in a really good place. And I just want to continue to do the right things.’’

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  2. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

My personal thoughts? We can shit on him all we want, he deserves it, but if this is legit, and he really has "reinvented" himself, it can only help us, so uhhh fuck it give me that koool aid yum.

3. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Yet another mental transformation.

Binx likes this.
  4. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Feels like one happens every summer with him but Hanlen is legit, so I'm more interested in his actual basketball changes.

5. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    I'll believe it when I see it, but I really hope he has a strong season. This might be the first time he's admitted his faults and talked about what he changed/improved his game instead of just saying he improved.

6. theprunetang

theprunetang Shaedon "Deadly Nightshade" Sharpe is HIM

7. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Prove it.

Oh, and hey, how was that injury that no one else confirmed, Meyers? I've always been skeptical of that.

Scalma likes this.
  8. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

We wouldn't hate Meyers as much if he didn't at least flash some talent from time to time. When he plays well it's easy to see how he makes the team better. At the very least an improved Meyers would be easier to trade so uhh go Meyers!

9. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

If This Drew Hanlen can really transform Meyers Leonard into even a decent bench player, then why isn't he on our coaching staff? If Meyers just needed coaching, why hasn't he received what he's needed in his 5 years here? That's what i want to know.

10. Sinobas

When has he ever "flashed talent" the only thing he's shown is that he can shoot a decent percentage from 3 if you leave him wide open and don't rush at him, and give him plenty of time to focus like it's a free throw.

11. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

You honestly believe in 5 years that's the only thing he's ever shown? Please. Meyers at his best is our best backup center. Better than Davis at his best. Just facts.

HailBlazers and BBert like this.
  12. Sinobas

Leonard sucks so bad, Stotts wouldn't play him even with all the injuries we had to our big men. This article is just another BS Mike Barrett like report. We'll see how he does in pre-season.

Jade Falcon and GrandJury like this.
  13. Sinobas

Huh?? What has he shown? He didn't earn the nickname "Leonar_" for nothing. Dude is the weakest player I've ever seen mentally. He won't go inside. Shoots jump shots when the lane is wide fucking open, can't score on point guards. He freezes up and gets frazzled all the time.

14. Sinobas

By the way, I bet Leonard is not to happy about this guy revealing that he said his confidence was at 30. That was a personal thing that shouldn't have been shared. I think we all knew Leonard wasn't telling the truth in his post-season interview that he had confidence in his game.

I really hope all this is true though.

Chris Craig and theprunetang like this.
  15. theprunetang

If this works, then I would be offering this guy a coaching gig immediately. Some people do respond to coaching techniques differently. Maybe this guy is the Meyers Whisperer. Take my history with advanced math as an example. In college, I really struggled getting the last math credit that I needed for my degree. I had taken the class twice and dropped it by the deadline when I realized that it just wasn't going to work. However, my third attempt was with this crazy old teacher. For some reason, he taught the same class with identical subject matter, but every word he said, every graph on the board, just made sense. I don't know why, but that guy spoke my language. I got an easy A in the class.

16. rasheedfan2005

rasheedfan2005 Well-Known Member

Give him the max!

Chris Craig and Binx like this.
  17. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

[​IMG]

18. theprunetang

Dammit Sly, now I want to reach rewatch X Files.

19. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

He doesn't do those things when he plays well though and you can't sit there and honestly say he's never had good games. That's all I'm talking about. When he plays well he spaces the court, bangs with traditional centers, sets screens, is an above average rebounder, good passer, doesn't turn the ball over, and can knock down a jumper from anywhere. Davis at his best does about half of those.

Blazer509 and BonesJones like this.
  20. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Really looking forward to the new Meyers, and hoping we pay him $4 - $5 mil/year - that'd be great.

Chris Craig and BonesJones like this.