Quick: A new Meyers Leonard

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Scalma, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Trackjack

Trackjack Well-Known Member

I think Leonard will be better on offense that what he did in the off season was basically work on his offense game. Now the side that he hasn't been good at is his defense side of the ball. If that doesn't improve than he know use to us at all. You know why other players on the other team praise how good he was doing because they want him to play because they know there free path to the hoop. But hopefully he has improve that part but I got my doubts.

2. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

No one is. We're rooting for him to succeed so he can get the fuck off our favorite team.

3. BlayZa

BlayZa Misbehaving responsibly

Media/Advertisng
    i hate on meyers as hard as anyone but if he can ACTUALLY see why he's so shit and playing so poorly COMBINED with someone that can fix it AKA

“He has to be able to play within that system, but before he would set a screen and then float around the perimeter,’’ Hanlen said. “He didn’t have a purpose.’’ - my man.

then i think he could be useful. he has the size and potential athleticism to cause problems for people, but im over the problems being in our lap, not the oppositions.

but, please for the love of god, no Rise Up pt2 - just stfu, stop being so emo, learn get out there and prove people like me wrong. which im happy to be. once bitten 907th time sigh

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  4. BlayZa

BlayZa Misbehaving responsibly

Media/Advertisng
    that's about as 'come to jesus' as ill get with meyers btw.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  5. mook

mook The 2018-19 season was the best I've seen

Buy a recipe binder at CookbookPeople.com
    Portland has a ton of options at the 4 now. The days of gifting Vonleh the starting job for a season are over (thank heavens). Vonleh reminds me a lot of Martel Webster and Travis Outlaw--two other highly-rated youngsters handed prominent positions on the team not because they earned it, but for lack of any other options. Webster had nice shooting form and Outlaw insane leaping ability, whereas Vonleh has good advanced metrics in rebounding and better-than-Meyers defense. But once guys like Batum and Wes Matthews came along we never looked back. And we won't with Vonleh either.

"Vonleh looked pretty good next to Nurkic," I keep hearing. Guess what? So would a lot of people. Marginal players tend to look a lot better when vastly superior teammates draw all the attention. Outlaw and Webster looked almost serviceable next to Roy and Aldridge.

Personally, I think we've yet to see our Batum/Wes-type replacement guy at PF. With those two you had players that were no-doubt going to start and play key roles on the team pretty much from day one.

Either Aminu or Davis could turn a corner, but they have been around here a while and I just don't see the revolution happening there. I'd be happy to be wrong, but if that's our long-term solution it's basically living with a better Noah Vonleh.

Leonard could be that guy. What the hell, crazier things have happened in this league. Color me all kinds of skeptical though.

I really like what Swanigan and Collins have shown so far. My money is on Collins winning out in the long run, but I'm just happy to see a real competition for the spot.

6. Blazer4ever

Blazer4ever Finding a Way BANNED

Agricolture
    I very much agree on confidence being the key with him. I remember a few games towards the end of the season prior to last when he played with a lot of confidence and was a real beast. The other issue with him is understanding the big man role in team defense.
    Meyers has talent. He can shoot, he's strong, he's athletic. When he's confident he plays more inside which makes him and also his outside shooting more effective. I think his mental frailty is the biggest problem with him, he needs to man-up and believe in himself

7. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Aminu and Davis are what they are - there is no untapped potential in either player.
    Meyers is solely a C - playing him any minutes at PF is pure folly. Hopefully this is the season Tater Totts finally figures this out.
    Our only hope at PF is Collins/Swanigan/Vonleh. I don't think it's Vonleh - he's good defensively, but offensively he just doesn't have it.

Eastoff likes this.
  8. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

This. If he does great that’s only good for us.

Mote likes this.
  9. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Well, Leonard's trainer is supposedly pretty good. However, he should have had some videos similar to "License to Lillard". We're tired of being told about his improvement, SHOW us.

I've got a great name for the series: "Can Barely Bieb"

10. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

Looked through teams today to find some potential new homes for Meyers and Indiana stands out to me. Really the only trade partner with a bad team+lack of bigman depth+piece we'd want combo.

Leonard+Aminu+2nd for Thad Young seems like an obvious trade deadline move possibility.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    PtldPlatypus likes this.
  11. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

As long as Pritchard is GM over there forget it.

12. Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Vonleh is from Indy.

13. chzbrgr

chzbrgr Well-Known Member

We've got more choices but few real options. Vonleh was penciled in by most to be gifted the starting job again this year cause of 'familiarity' over our two rookies. You're right bad players look better next to really good one's but even 'better' Vonleh is a below average player. Collins and Swanigan are rookies, who knows if they stick this year. Ed while I love his game is a backup. Aminu is a one way player. Meyers...lol. So I see lots of choices, but none of them are that great right now.

14. Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    You guys.... Leave Meyers Leonard alone, he's a basketball player!

15. mook

mook The 2018-19 season was the best I've seen

Buy a recipe binder at CookbookPeople.com
    Vonleh's injury is something of a godsend, really, because it ensures there's a real competition for the job at the start of the season. Somebody else is going to get that chance to "look really good next to Nurkic", a phrase so synonymous with Vonleh I'm surprised it hasn't gained abbreviation status like RLEC or BPA.

I bet whoever gets the job at starting PF opening night will also be quickly labeled as looking really good next to Nurkic. Nurkic is a rising tide that lifts all boats.

Swanigan and Davis are probably the toughest fits next to Nurk--Swanigan because we'll have a miserable time covering the floor on defense with him at PF, and Davis because of his limited jump shot. Even those guys, though, should feast on the boards.

theprunetang and dviss1 like this.
  16. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    Teams play twin towers still.

17. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Vonleh is 21 years old. I don't think he was gifted anything, but rather given minutes to develop against the best competition possible.

21 years old. He still has huge upside.

Stotts started him, but didn't play him down the stretch when it counted.

dviss1 likes this.
  18. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Maybe but Nurkic and Leonard should never be on the court at the same time.

Eastoff, Nikolokolus and blue9 like this.
  19. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Have to see it to decide. I bet Stotts will see it in practice and he'll be in a better position to decide :)

20. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Already saw it in Denver. Leonard is just as limited as Jokic defensively.