Quick hits the nail on the hid

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Natebishop3, Mar 26, 2012.

1. mook

mook The 2018-19 season was the best I've seen

Buy a recipe binder at CookbookPeople.com
    One reason that hasn't really been talked about much is the idea that we might be hiding Flynn (and to a lesser extent Thabeet).

We have absolutely no leg up on any other team in signing Flynn to a super cheap contract next year. But his value is way, way down at this point. Rather than try to raise his value, perhaps the Blazers organization prefers to see it languish. There's no upside for Portland in showing off Flynn's skills. It merely makes the price of re-signing him more expensive.

Portland has one advantage no other team has with Flynn. They get to see him in practice against NBA competition. They get to see what he's got while no other team has that opportunity.

Assuming Portland likes what it sees in those practices, they'll be bidding for his services in a very low market they helped create.

Meanwhile, they also get the benefit of being Free Agent Good Guys by not sabotaging Felton's career by benching him for the rest of the year. Kind of a win-win.

I think the lack of Bird Rights makes this a much weirder dynamic than your typical youngster-free-agent-on-a-rebuilding-team scenario. Portland has little control over anything except the flow of information. I personally think they're trying to stifle that flow while they evaluate Flynn's future with the team.

I hope that's the case, at least.

BLAZER PROPHET likes this.
  2. glazeduck

glazeduck Well-Known Member

Very good point.

We can only hope that those "in charge" are actually that smart... Even after the deadline (which I call an A++), I'm not holding my breath...

3. BLAZINGGIANTS

BLAZINGGIANTS Well-Known Member

Good points, and worth bringing this perspective up. I have thought about this, but really, sitting guys on the bench for the last 20 or so games of the season to limit their exposure.... If it were me, I'd be thinking that the organization "thinks so little of me that they don't even care to play me and see what I have. And we're not even a playoff team?" The organization then has to play damage control with the players at year-end when trying to re-sign them, which is never a good thing.

4. BLAZER PROPHET

BLAZER PROPHET Well-Known Member

dental malpractice claims adjuster
    Ya know, I had a reply all set but deleted it as it was just too easy.

5. BLAZER PROPHET

BLAZER PROPHET Well-Known Member

dental malpractice claims adjuster
    Really solid post. Kinda ends the thread.

Rep'd.

6. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    I'm only half wrong!

7. BLAZINGGIANTS

BLAZINGGIANTS Well-Known Member

It's all good. Who here wouldn't tap Jessica (from Roger Rabbit)?

8. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I thought about that, but he's a UFA. That wouldn't work because I suspect he's going to want to go somewhere this summer that will actually give him PT. If we won't even give him PT in his contract year, why would he want to stay here? Someone is going to offer him a deal. Maybe not a big one, but I think he's going to want a promise of PT over a big contract at this point. He better get some burn or he's going to have a sour taste in his mouth.

9. SnakeOiler

SnakeOiler Dirty tricks

Software/Hardware Engineer
    There are 29 other teams. Pick one.

10. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

That seems like an awfully big (and risky) scheme for a Johnny Flynn.

Guessing it's a small NBA community where if Flynn was this point guard secret of having potential as shown during practice, the word would spread from both Minny and Houston that he is worth paying if you need a point guard. So seems like a risky move by Blazers if they really are intending to sign him (sign him on a lowball contract because no one else will know much about him).

But interesting theory and hope thatFlynn might be a player that will help the Blazers

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  11. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    Quick chastises Felton for tanking, then chastises the Blazers for not tanking.

Reading his column is like reading the bible.

BBert likes this.
  12. mook

mook The 2018-19 season was the best I've seen

Buy a recipe binder at CookbookPeople.com
    You may be right. I don't know. I'm obviously just speculating here, just like everybody else. But Portland has had a bitch of a time finding a decent young point guard since, well, fucking forever. And as we all know, it's not like they haven't tried. With the history of Paul Allen/Vulcan, this theory doesn't seem that far fetched to me. Desperate times call for strange measures.

I suppose this could piss off Flynn and make him even more eager to leave. I guess that's where you have to communicate well with him and sell him on the idea that Portland is just giving Felton his respect, as they will Flynn next year. Assuming Portland likes what they see from Flynn in practice and want him back.

13. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    Were getting DWill next year our PG problems will be solved! Were also winning the #1 pick with our seed and getting NJ's 4th pick.

Damnit why did I have to wake up! :(

14. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

My first instinct was to laugh at this post, and the prospects of some supersecret plan to hide Jonny Flynn, but then I realized it's the Blazers, and that any screwed up and wacky plan is within the realm of possibility. Continue to play Felton for some reason, and sit the young PGs on the bench, because they might get a chance to prove themselves in the 3 practices left this season.

The more plausible theory is that Canales is coaching to win, and that some in the organization want to tank, while others aren't sure, so veterans like Felton, who destroyed this season, now continue to see the court because they offer the best chance to win.

Clown Town

15. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Clown town, my friend.... clown town.

16. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

People are really pining for Flynn & Smith??? I fully realize that reality w/Felton sucks, but the bench options are worse. Posters blaming the coach for not turning water into wine.... smh

tonight will be an eyefull

STOMP

17. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

It will be an eyefull no doubt. Westbrook will be a great test fot them. Not that he doesn't light most guards up. I would much rather watch Smith and Flynn struggle guarding him than Crawford or Felton though.

This is one game I will miss "Crash" . Not sure who will guard Durant when Batum is out. This game could be really ugly. Felton "Picked" a good game to miss.

18. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

I fully expect Kaleb to start Crawful.

19. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    I'm not exactly 'pining' for Flynn & Smith. But I'm sick of watching Felton and Crawford, and I hope to god neither has a future with the Blazers. Granted, they are both more bad than good, which is good for those who want more lottery balls. But I would rather the team play and coach the hell out of Flynn, Smith, Babbitt and Thabust for the rest of the year.

20. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

I actually think Nolan will get the nod on a short leash