Quinn out

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by NYR31, May 12, 2021.

1. NYR31

NYR31 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Fired today. Assistants Jacques Martin, David Oliver and Greg Brown also gone. Allaire stays.

2. mrmel29

mrmel29 Well-Known Member

Thank God!!

3. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

Yes!!!!!!!! Thank you Drury and Dolan! Players must have said, he sucks, Knoblauch was better.

4. strudwickisthebest

strudwickisthebest Well-Known Member

He did a good job the pst couple seasons but this team has good enough players to win now. Problem with these newer coaches is they feel like they have to win every game and play scrubs to do so with no confidence in their younger players

5. NYR2009

NYR2009 Member

Yeah, I am excited too. I am sure players voted him out. That is why it took so long for Drury to fire Quinn. He probably wanted to make sure. My vote is either Knoblauch or Babcock. Two opposites. I am thinking probably Knoblauch #1 choice at this point. When Knoblauch coached those few games, it just felt like they played the best games of the season.

6. NYR31

NYR31 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Once JD and Gorton were gone this was the next shoe to drop, so should not come as a surprise to anyone.

I like Knoblauch but he getting the job is a long shot since Drury is likely going to go with an experienced NHL coach.

7. NYR2009

NYR2009 Member

I agree 31, you probably right. Then it is either Torts or Babcock. My money is on Babcock.

8. Malcom

Malcom New Member

I'd be all for Torts coming back again but I doubt it happens.

9. NYR Fan

NYR Fan Well-Known Member

This is exactly the case. Once JD and Gorton were fired this was a foregone conclusion. If they stayed Quinn would have stayed. Once they were canned Quinn was gone.

And it won't be Knoblauch. It will be a proven NHL coach from everything I have read. Torts is high on the list. Babcock on list also.

There’s likely to be a myriad of coaches interviewed. Both Tortorella and Babcock would be candidates, as could Gerard Gallant and Claude Julien. Another name that may get an interview is Patrick Roy, an old teammate of Drury’s in Colorado.

10. NYR Fan

From Brooks:

Gerard Gallant, Rick Tocchet, Bob Hartley, John Tortorella, Mike Babcock and Patrick Roy are among the early candidates to follow Quinn.

11. theProdigy223

theProdigy223 Well-Known Member

I am shocked people would want Torts anywhere near this roster. The team is not at all built for his style and would require further significant roster moves to be effective. He ran the Columbus roster into the ground, just like he did last time he was here. Even Seth Jones is ready to get the hell out of there. The first time he benches Kakko or Laf for not blocking shots everyone will be in an uproar. He is the wrong coach for this team and his style of play is becoming less effective in today's NHL. Hard pass.

Of the mentioned candidates Gallant and Julien have the best balanced systems that could be fits with this roster. I like Gallant a lot. Keep an eye on Tocchet as well, who did good things in Arizona and has crossed paths with Drury before.

Patrick Roy has not done very much to merit serious consideration, and he was a complete lunatic during his time behidn the bench. Unless he changes his approach I'd be very reluctant to go that route.

Please no Boudreau.

Greyvtrayn and SaveLundy like this.
  12. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

Totally agree, I think Torts would be a big mistake with the current roster. Not big on ex-Flyer Tocchet either.

13. NYR2009

NYR2009 Member

I agree with you Prod completely. I don't think Torts is a good choice for this roster. Torts is good for a veteran team and not young team. Tocchet has done nothing, I don't see him as a valid choice. I don't want Roy and with you on Boudreau. Boudreau and AV are the same to me, great season coaches but cannot win in the playoffs. I am not big on Gallant, never liked him.

My #1 is still Knoblauch, but I think all of you are right, they are going to go with an experienced coach and the other two that I would want is first Babcock and Julien as a second choice. A few years ago, Babcock was the league envy, everyone wanted him, and after the scandal that he is tough on some players he cooled down.

14. theProdigy223

theProdigy223 Well-Known Member

Yeah, this is a big issue with him. No denying he's a great coach and I think he's one of the best hockey minds out there. But after all that has come out about him I'd have serious concerns about whether he is the right guy for such a young team. We are probably better off to be more cautious and pass, unless Drury and company think he has shown a serious change in approach.

I never would have thought of Bob Hartley as a possibility, didnt put it together that he was Drury's coach in COL when they won the cup. Had to look him up on Wikipedia to see what he's been up to as he's been out of the league for a few years now. I dont remember much about him or his style.

It's surprising to me that Julien wasnt named in Brooks' list but that doesnt mean we wont take a look.

15. Messiah717

Messiah717 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

It was quite obvious Quinn wasn't sticking around. He should go back to college. I'd go with Babcock.

16. kreidertime

Knoblauch has always been my number 1. Honestly, I would love to see Messier as an assistant to Knoblauch. I think he needs to lower his ego a little. I also think he could get Zibanejad who is a lazy fuck in the faceoff circle to get his shit together. Messier should be an assistant coach first. Would that intimidate Knoblauch? No. I think that guy has been a winner at every level and he's calm and confident. I think Messier's fire would be a nice compliment to him.

17. Messiah717

Messiah717 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Messier as an assistant would be terrible. He overshadows the head coach regardless of who it is. Then that coach is always in that shadow.

SaveLundy and NYR Fan like this.
  18. NYR Fan

Nothing I have seen or read tells me Knoblauch will be the guy. I have only seen experienced coach is the focus. We'll see though.

As for Torts, he wouldn't be my first or second choice, but I wouldn't be crazy upset if he were the guy. He is good for 4 or 5 good seasons before he wears thin.

19. kreidertime

Wrong. He wouldn't over shadow Knoblauch. Knoblauch has been a winner at every level. Do your research. His personality would not give a rat's ass about Messier and his play as a player. Knoblauch is a supremely confident head coach. He's not taking a back seat to anybody. That being said, like all coaches he will want to pick his own staff.

20. NYR Fan

Experienced proven NHL coach will be the guy based on everything I have read.