Random thoughts on the Steelers

Discussion in 'AFC North' started by Thoth, Jan 3, 2004.

1. Thoth

Thoth Sisyphus in training

Rather than drag out the thread entitled "Next Year", I thought I would start a fresh thread. The following opinions are just that.

The Steelers IMO need need a shutdown corner. Nathan Vasher of Texas comes to mind. He even played SS before switching to CB. If the Dolphins are sincere in running the Tampa cover 2 then @ shutdown CB's are not needed. Madison may be available and still has some gas in the tank.

SF, are you saying that Pittsburgh should drop the 3-4? I have never been a big fan of that scheme but it seems that is what the Steelers are known for. Additionally, they have perfected that scheme and it helps them to remain a power. The games against the Patys and Raiders in 2002 exposed a flaw in the scheme but were the exceptions rather than the norm.

Here's to hoping that the new GM in Miami is not satisified w/ Wanny and hires Mularkey as the new Miami coach. His unpredictability is what Miami so desperatley needs.

I hope that the Steelers do not draft a QB in the first round. Otherwise, one of the big 3 will not be available for Miami @ #20. Pittsburgh should've given Tee Martin a chance. Further, I would have loved to see St. Pierre get drafted by the Phins. Hopefully, he will get a chance to develop. I do agree that neither Tommy or Batch is the answer. Would the Steelers go after (Pitt Native) Bulger who is an RFA?

2. Steelerfan_2005

Steelerfan_2005 The Peacekeeper XL

They do need a shutdown corner. I'm not sure that they will draft one or grab one in free agency. There are a lot of top teir corners available next year via FA.

I'm not sure that they abandon the 3-4, I just think Tim Lewis uses very complicated signals and schemes and they need to be simplified. Their blitzes & stunts aren't working... I'm not sure who is to really blame. I do know that a guy that finishes 9th in Overall Defense and 11th against the run and 12th against the pass isn't going to get fired.

I doubt the Steelers draft a QB in the first round. Unless Manning falls to 11, it won't happen. The Steelers will stick with Maddox and maybe draft a QB late. St. Pierre still may develop. He's only going to be in his second year. I don't know if he has a strong enough arm to ever be great though.

No, Bulger doesn't want to play in Pittsburgh, so don't count on that happening. He doesn't like it here. He hangs out in Shadyside (where I work) when he's in Pittsburgh and I know people who know him. He doesn't want to be a Steeler.