Randy Ayers Interview!

Discussion in 'Philadelphia 76ers' started by Sasha, Jul 15, 2003.

1. Sasha

Sasha ...since the beginning.

<u>Taken From Sixers.com</u>

<font color="blue"><u>Marc (Clinton, MD): </u>
    Congrats! I know you will do well as the Sixers head coach. Question. What element does Sam Clancy adds to this team and how do you think he will impact this year's roster? </font>

<font color="red"><u>Randy Ayers: </u>
    First, we have to get Sam healhty. But he gives guys a tough matchup. If he can get back to the athletic plays he made at USC, he'll pay off big. He gives matchup problems to to both 3s and 4s. </font>

<font color="blue"><u>San Jose: </u>
    Mr. Ayers, as head coach of the 76ers, what do you hope to acomplish, on the court [during games] and off the court [player relationships]? </font>

On the court, that we play hard and with intensity. That we understand that we represent Philadlephia and when you play a team sport the goal is to win. Off the court, I think you have to help your guys develop as people. Put infromation in their hands that helps them and their families so that they know at the end of the day you're trying to make them a better person. </font>

<font color="blue"><u>Dan (Coatesville): </u>
    Can you comment on what Chris Ford will add to your coaching staff. </font>

Well, experience as a head coach and player. He's coached some of the greatest players to ever play the game. And he'll serve as a calming effect on me. This game, there are so many possessions in the last four minutes and Chris will help us with the preparation for those times among other things. </font>

<font color="blue"><u>Joe (Wernersville, PA): </u>
    Hi Randy. Will you be using Aaron Mckie any differently then Coach Brown did? It seems that in 2001 (the Finals season) that the team benefited from having Mckie as a starter and playing point guard. Thanks </font>

I think the key for Aaron is first, his health. And second, his matchups. I spoke of playing Allen at the point and play Aaron at the 2 to take care of some of his matchups. </font>

<font color="blue">Matt (Bethlehem, PA):
    Hey Coach Ayers do you know if Allen is realy lifting? </font>

<font color="red"><u>Randy Ayers: </u>I have not been around Allen this summer. But I know he's had the commitment to USA Basketball. Allen's got to understand that his strength and condition will help both his health but also lengthen his career. This is his eighth year and I'm sure that eating healthy and working out will factor in if he intends to continue on with such a productive career. </font>

<font color="blue"><u>Tom, Omaha: </u>
    I watched Kyle Korver for four years at Creighton. He is the real deal from downtown shootin the 3. How much will he contribute right away? </font>

I think that will depend on his adjustment to the speed of the game and adjust his ability to get separation. People recover a lot quicker in the NBA than college. Summer's a good time to get used to that. But one thing I love about him is he works so hard, so hopefully the adjustment will be quicker because of this. </font>

Hi Coach Ayers. Will the 76ers be looking for an injury exception for Todd Mac? If so will the exception be used to sign or resign a free agent? Thanks </font>

That's something that Billy King and Tony DiLeo and myself have talked about. We're going to research all our options. I think right now that question is still up in the air. </font>

<font color="blue"><u>Alex (Wernersville, PA): </u>
    Coach, who do you see making the most impact in this years summer league? </font>

I think John Salmons. He's a returning player, he understands the system. And he's worked really hard to improve. He's comfortable with me from last summmer. And I think when a player is comfortable with a coach, his game really takes off. </font>

Hi Coach Ayers. If the season started today who would play the center positon (with Coleman still being a free agent)? </font>

That'll depend on the free agents. That's a big concern; our front line. Until we sign someone, I can't really comment. </font>

<font color="blue"><u>Leko(Brazil): </u>
    Do you carry with you Larry's defensive mind, or your styles are different? </font>

I think a little bit of both. We'll double team just like Coach Brown liked to do. But we'll change up our defensives up more. We might switch from zone principles to man-to-man. YOu have to have ball pressure. If you do that you'll get fast breaks and rebounds and that will help your defense and offense. </font>

Randy Ayers:
    I just want to thank the fans for their support. We're looking forward to getting our personnel decisions finalized. But so far the response has been extremely positive. We're looking forward to the season and we'll see everyone in Philadelphia later this year. Take care.