Rangers acquire Brendan Smith

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by strudwickisthebest, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

It's about all they could do with what they could afford to lose. I'm glad they kept Gropp as he looks to be a gritty kind of forward with more upside than Fast, who i think we may lose at some point. I still think Doan or Iginla could help but the roster is too jammed.

2. RangersFan

RangersFan Well-Known Member

Buch sent to Hartford. Are we done or do we maybe add a forward with some grit.

3. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

Buchnevich needs to play 20 minutes a game and continue to bulk up. 4th line is set now. He won't be up unless an injury. Still say Raanta will be the guy lost in the expansion draft as if he plays well on an expansion team, they can trade him for the most.

4. RangersFan

Nice 4th line mix also, and they have been playing well. Pirri/Lindberg/Fast. Puempel as the extra forward. Good group.

Bottom line is we need to score in these playoffs, and we need our special teams to be solid, at least one for sure. Playoffs will never be up and down high scoring games, but we need to score 2 or 3 a game.

5. Stepupstepan

Stepupstepan Well-Known Member

So looks like they actually gave up the second round pick in 2018 that they acquired in brass deal for Mika. Interesting.

6. panzerporter

panzerporter Well-Known Member

Good get as an alternative to Shattenkirk. The Rangers have needed a guy like Smith on defense for years, the fact that he played with Step & McD is an added bonus. Hank's getting old, can't fret about 2nd and 3rd rounders in the future.

7. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

Las Vegas is going to have some nice options at G in the draft, with Raanta, Fleury and some high draft picks like Subban and Grubauer.

8. Stepupstepan

Stepupstepan Well-Known Member

Oh look they are playing an elite team and suck ass as usual. Stanley cup contenders for sure.

9. RangersFan

The team is playing without its # 2 C, without 3 of their top 7 dmen, and had a goal overturned on a ridiculous call.

They beat the Caps 9 days ago. And they are now 2-1 against them as well.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  10. RangersFan

I will make two comments though:

1. This PP has got to get going. It has been horrific. I don't have a lot of hope because it has struggled for years, no matter who was on the PP or QB'ing it.

2. I want to beat Boston Thursday night. They are 10 points back of us for the top WC. Yes that is a big mountain to climb, but I want to put that spot to bed now, and beating Boston will go a long way towards that. I expect Smith and Klein in, and we'll see on Ziban.

11. dino7430

dino7430 Member

Personally, I would like to see Gorton have a heart to heart with Staal. "Marc, love what you have done but you are risking turning your brain into scrambled eggs with the concussion issue. Hang them up, protect your future and thanks for your service." If he takes that road great, if not try to move him for whatever we can get. Cut bait and bit the bullet. Then buyout Girardi and move Klein this summer. They are replace with Shatty, resign Smith and bring up Graves. McD, Shatty, Skjei, Holden, Smith and Graves. Lot's of flexibility for AV to play with and a very solid D corps.

12. mrmel29

mrmel29 Well-Known Member

Gorton is just waiting for the last second today to swoop in and announce a trade for trouba at the deadline today.