Rangers-Caps

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by mrmel29, Mar 30, 2021.

1. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

If you watched Kakko play in Finland he was kind of a one man show where he was more physically mature vs. players his own age. He never really had to rely on chemistry with players on his line. A good coach would have realized that and kept him with two good vets all year and never have changed the lines as it was going to take a player like that time to learn how to play with his linemates. Quinn however is now coaching like a scared school girl. First time the team doesn't play well in a game he will change all the lines around again. It's just a matter of time because he's incompetent.

2. NYR Fan

NYR Fan Well-Known Member

Or - and again I know this goes against your pre-determined knock Quinn for everything agenda - he was a 19 and now 20 year old kid, and needed time to get acclimated to the NHL. Considering his physicality was a huge part of his game in Finland, and he wasn't going to be able to come right into the NHL and have success based solely on that, maybe it was Kakko maturing and acclimating, not the coach. And maybe the coach deserves some credit - what a crazy thought - for helping Kakko mature and acclimate.

I understand that means your BS narrative would be wrong, which it is, but that seems pretty likely to me.

Thanks for playing.

3. mrmel29

mrmel29 Well-Known Member

2 moves I'd like to see Quinn make now is as good defensively as Kakko is playing (one of our best defensive forwards imo) is to start giving him some time on the PK and the 2nd is to move lav back up with zib and Buch and move kreids to the third line with Chytil and krav when he enters the lineup. Will give all the kids a veteran presence on their line they can bounce things back and forth with. Not a big fan of the kid line when their 19 and 20 and all inexperienced. In a couple years that might be a good idea. Hope we ride shesty for a bunch of games in a row now.

4. NYR Fan

I don't like Kakko on the PK at this point. First our PK is doing well, and second I don't see a need to drop that responsibility on the 20 year old at this point in time. In the future, sure I can see him being a PK guy like Buch evolved into, but not now I don't think.

As for moving Lafreniere up and swapping spots with Kreider, not crazy. I wouldn't be upset if Quinn made that change and put Kreider/Chytil/Kravtsov together, and I wouldn't be upset if Quinn left it as is and played Lafreniere/Chytil/Kravtsov. So yeah, I would be fine if he swapped Kreider and Lafreniere.

As for Igor, he should play at least 85% of the games for the remainder of the season, totally agree. We need to see him be the guy, stay healthy, handle the rigors, and the pressure. Now is the time, double so with questionable backups.

5. kreidertime

I agree with that. Then call up Barron, trade Blackwell, Howden, and Di Giushitty and have a 4th line of Rooney-Barron-Gauthier.

6. NYR2009

NYR2009 Member

LAF has to play with Zib, and I want to see Kreider with Chytil and Gauthier until Kravtsov joins the lineup. Two power forward with Chytil might be a great combination, plus Zib and Buch will help LAF get going. Quinn still thinks we will make the playoff and trying to win games. Such season is a gift for any coach. No pressure, just develop kids, try different line combinations, see who has chemistry. Instead, Quinn is boosting up his resume. It took Quinn half a season to finally bench Howden, who was obviously the worst forward on this team. And why Kinkaid is playing when Georgiev is healthy? I understand, lately Georgiev played poorly, but I don't understand the point of scratching him. Either trade him, release him or play him. This is why Quinn has to go, as he is trying to win games which is important, but not as important as using this time to figure out next season.

7. Stepupstepan

Stepupstepan Well-Known Member

Prior to Tuesday’s 5-2 win over the Capitals, Quinn said he was “pissed” at himself for not playing the kid line of Alexis Lafreniere, Filip Chytil and Julien Gauthier more in Sunday’s loss in Washington. He alluded to being at a crossroads with wanting to reward the players who are playing well, while also understanding that he has an entire locker room “to answer to.”

8. Stepupstepan

Stepupstepan Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like the guy is trying to save his job.

“It’s a balancing act and these kids have handled it well,” Quinn said. “To me, the minutes played are going to go from game-to-game, it’s not a straight trajectory line the way players develop, sometimes they do have to learn hard lessons and not always get everything they want.

“But again, you can’t take away their confidence so there are so many factors that go into these decisions and there is constant conversation among our staff about what the right thing is to do not only for the player but for the team because inevitably you are held responsible by the team.

“It’s not just about one player but we’re also aware that we have good young players who are going to be a big, big part of the future and we’re trying to accelerate that,” he said. “But we also want to win hockey games.”

9. NYR Fan

Sounds like the exact same thing Knoblauch said last week.

Instead of trying to invent new ways to knock a coach, why don't you actually enjoy watching the team, and watching the kids grow, and watching the start of what should be an exciting time to be a Rangers fan. I know that is very difficult for you since you want to whine and cry non-stop, but maybe give it a try.

Alexis Lafreniere got only 7 minutes and 53 seconds of ice time, about half of his season average of 14:44, in the Rangers’ 3-1 victory over the Capitals on Saturday night.

"It’s probably mismanagement of the bench and not realizing the situation,’’ acting coach Kris Knoblauch said. "I know we had a lot of ‘D’ zone faceoffs. And also, matchups against their team, where they had the last chance. And I did want to keep him away from their top line. But other than that, I wish I would have played him more . . . Unfortunately, he missed out on some shifts.’’ 

10. NYR Fan

And it actually sounds to me like a coach who understands the balance. You have more than 1 or 2 or 3 players on this team, and you owe it to all of them to try and win, while at the same time understanding as the coach, that you need to give the kids opportunities as well. I think he gets it, and that's his point.

Again, you wouldn't understand that because it goes against the pre-determined narrative of you and your grand leader.

11. Greyvtrayn

Greyvtrayn Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like a coach who knows exactly what expectations the organization has of him. Develop young players, hold players accountable and put the team in a position to win games and be competitive. I would say he has done a very good job at 2 out of 3...would like to see a little more of holding veterans accountable.

NYR Fan likes this.
  12. panzerporter

panzerporter Well-Known Member

More snap Karenalysis from the fire Quinn magpies, win or lose it's always the same tired song. I'm with Dave, playoff bound while the fair weather followers bluster about nonexistent locker room drama and development lost for lack of a shift.

NYR Fan likes this.
  13. BigDaddyAl1973

BigDaddyAl1973 Well-Known Member

Accountant
    I know I'm in the minority but....why are we so over the top with having 19 and 20 year olds needing to play top minutes, exposing them to players older, stronger and more knowledgeable...bring them slowly as they develop not just their game skills, but they still are physically and mentally still light years away from being a finished product.
    I have no problem with bringing them slowly and using multiple linemates to learn from.

NYR Fan likes this.
  14. kreidertime

He's been trying to save his job for weeks now. He sucks. I'm not buying anything he says nor should Gorton and JD. He'll be scratching Gauthier soon. Gorton and JD need to get Howden, Blackwell, Di Giushitty off this team pronto so that dipshit can't play them. Or do the right thing and just get rid of Quinn.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
  15. NYR Fan

He sucks, that guy sucks, this guy sucks. You are like the adults from the Peanuts cartoon. Wah wah wah wah is all we see and hear.

16. NYR31

NYR31 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Chuck - you really need to cut out the crap, man. You complain about Dump "ruining the board" with his constant complaining of Quinn, yet you do the same but even more because you reply not just to him but to anyone who disagrees with your view of Quinn with the "pre-determined narrative" and "just following your grand leader" crap. It is really, really tiresome.

Why can't people have difference of opinion from yours regarding Quinn? why is it that when they do it's only because they're following their "grand leader"?

17. kreidertime

Well 31. I keep bringing up 1 cup in 81 years, 3 finals but he chooses to ignore it. I was also a huge fan of Gorton and the draft this year. However, after the draft up until this point JD and Gorton have failed miserably. Still the trade deadline to rebound. Playing Blackwell, Di Giushitty and Howden over players like Gauthier and Barron is a disgrace. Not dealing De Angelo yet is puzzling. All reports said there were several teams interested. Quinn's changing of lines, use of Kakko, Lafreniere and Gauthier has been pathetic. The fact that Chuck argues this shows his complete lack of hockey knowledge and why he has no creditability here. He changed his poster handle like a coward because he was always in favor of go for it now trades which sent us into the gutter.

18. NYR Fan

First off, I am not sure who Chuck is, but I am assuming you are referring to me based on your post NYR31. With that said, I think the abundance of the posts are pretty clear in here with regards to who is killing the board.

If you are the moderator, it is amazing to me that you allow this guy to write post after post ripping Quinn, cursing, calling people names, and using vulgar language, and you come after me. Unless you tolerate cursing, name calling, and using vulgar language as a matter of course.

My posts are always in response to his nonsense cursing, name calling, vulgar language posts calling out the coach to be fired, so yeah there are a lot because that's all this guy does post after post, and often.

That's a joke man - maybe you should do your job better and the board would have more than a handful plus of regular posters. Unreal calling me out, when all this guy does is post everyone sucks fire the coach posts, and curses with vulgar name calling in just about every single one.

19. kreidertime

Yet the stupid bastard keeps responding. Maybe one day when he finds his balls again and goes back to his old handle Chuck he will get some respect.

20. NYR Fan

Exhibit A, but that's okay - just keep up the cursing vulgar posts. But call me out.

That is fine though. Let him go unchecked cursing vulgar post after cursing vulgar post, with the same comments over and over about how everyone sucks and clearly the coach has lost the team and should be fired. I am done checking him and adding sanity and facts/truth to his nonsense. Those posts will flood the board on their own.