Rangers vs. Canadiens

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by RangersFan, Apr 10, 2017.

1. RangersFan

RangersFan Well-Known Member

All starts Wednesday night. My prediction on what AV will do with the lineup to start:

Kreider/Step/Zucc
    Vesey/Ziban/Nash
    Grabner/Hayes/Miller
    Glass/Lindberg/Fast

I see Buch getting scratched and Glass playing game 1. Don't love it, but that's what I think AV does.

McD/Girardi
    Staal/Holden
    Skjei/Smith

Again, this is what I think AV goes with game 1 (Klein scratched).

As for the series, I wrote it for a week now. Close tossup series. Winnable series. 60/40 Montreal I'd say. But I just don't have enough faith in the discipline and structure in our own zone to see us winning the series.

You know we aren't scoring a ton of goals against a top D team (4th in goals allowed per game), with Price in goal. So we need to hold Montreal to 1 or 2 goals per game, and that concerns me. And Montreal doesn't take penalties either, so we'll need to score 5 on 5 (and not take penalties of our own due to our PK).

So winnable series, winner of this series will beat Ottawa or Boston in round 2, but it pains me to write I think Montreal wins in 6 games.

2. Disturbed

Disturbed Well-Known Member

Software
    Don't disagree man. Just hard to feel confident with this team, they are on the back 9 of a long run obviously. I don't like Montreal's possession numbers either and Lundqvist rarely plays well at Bell.

LGR

3. RangersFan

I agree Disturbed. IF we lose to Montreal, I have to think we'll see more changes for next season. This past summer Gorton started the process. We don't really have any big free agents this summer, RFA Ziban is the biggest piece, so we can focus on changing the mix more.

Maybe Nash goes. I have to believe Girardi gets bought out.

BUT we'll have plenty of time to discuss that. For now LGR for sure. I truly hope we can flip a switch and we tighten up and beat Montreal. If we can do it we could play into late May/June again.

RagFan4Ever likes this.
  4. RangersFan

Really hope I am wrong, but as we get closer and I read more articles and look at more numbers, I just have a bad feeling about this series. Downer for sure, double so because a win in this series and we play until late May I believe, but I feel very uneasy about this matchup.

5. mrmel29

mrmel29 Well-Known Member

McDonagh-Girardi 1st pairing again!! WTF AV??

6. RangersFan

Lines at practice today look pretty familiar...:). Figured this is how AV would go.

On Tuesday at practice the Rangers are using the following lines and defense pairs (Zipay):
    • Chris Kreider, Derek Stepan, Mats Zuccarello
    • Jimmy Vesey, Mika Zibanejad, Rick Nash
    • Michael Grabner, Kevin Hayes, JT Miller
    • Tanner Glass, Oscar Lindberg, Jesper Fast
    Ryan McDonagh and Dan Girardi, Marc Staal and nick Holden, Brady Skjei and Brendan Smith.

7. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

From the comments today it sounds like Klein will probably start as a spare. As for Glass i think they will use him in game one to see if it makes a difference but they will need to go to PB at some point for the skill he provides.

8. Stepupstepan

Stepupstepan Well-Known Member

Tanner Glass has found his way into the lineup once again. Girardi is on the first pair...LOL This guy Vigneault is gonna get canned after this series.

9. RangersFan

When I look at those D pairs they don't look that bad to me. YES I think we are short one more top 4 dman, I would agree with that 100%. But I don't look and say wow that D group is terrible, or way below average. That is what perplexes me.

McD is obviously top notch. Skjei and Smith are good as a 3rd pair. Staal is a legit 2nd pair dman I believe. That leaves Girardi and Holden. That's the lacking part. If we had one more dman for the top 4 to knock one of those guys down/out that would be ideal, but as is that D isn't terrible I don't think.

My expectation/hope for the D is a low bar. Be smart and quick with the puck and for the love of god protect the front of the net. The D we have should be able to do that, especially with McD on ice for 23 or 24 minutes. And Skjei out there for 20 +/-.

Was the Pens D last season something special? It was not, but their O scores. And their special teams produce. That to me is where we are lacking. In theory our balanced 3 line attack should produce scoring for us, I like the top 3 lines just as AV has them, but that's where the issue comes in...they don't produce.

That is what concerns me about this series. I doubt we average more than 1.5 or so goals per game...can this D and Hank hold Montreal to the same level...not sure I feel confident about that. For us to win I think we'll see a lot of 2-1 type games...can we win those...not sure.

10. theProdigy223

theProdigy223 Well-Known Member

I hate Glass as much as anybody, but if we lose this series Glass will not be the reason. In fact, I don't mind him having him out there at least for game 1 to make Shaw answer for his inevitable run of Henrik. If we didnt dress Glass, nobody would challenge Shaw and then the complaint would be that the team is too soft. At least with him out there, guys like Shaw, King, Ott, Emelin, etc. know they'll have to answer for a cheap shot. Don't underestimate the boost that kind of thing gives the team.

11. Stepupstepan

Need to score some freaking goals in the playoffs. Put your best lineup out there. You know the fourth line has no chance of scoring with Glass on it. Buch only played 41 games this season. He should be fresh and playing in top 9. I don't get this love with Vesey either. He should be playing on the fourth line.

12. Stepupstepan

One other thing is how stubborn this idiot is with his Girardi love. He should not be on the first pair. He sucks at this point. Should be the six d-men. This coach's head is so up his ass, it is gonna get him fired.

13. RangersFan

Vesey had 16 goals as a rookie...not sure why anyone would like him. Vesey is fine. He is a top 9 player. I would actually reverse it and ask why the Buch love? He is skinny as a rail, doesn't win puck battles because of that, and has been inconsistent as a rookie...which makes sense.

To me Vesey and Buch are similar, but I think Vesey has shown more and deserves a shot to start in the top 9. I do think Buch will be a very good player, and has a higher ceiling than Vesey, but today I think Vesey has earned a shot over Buch.

I also agree with 223. I would have Buch in the lineup, and in a reversal of what I just wrote I would put him in the top 9 over Vesey because I don't see anything about Buch that says 4th line guy, while Vesey can better fit that role right now. So if only Vesey is in over Buch, I get that. If both are in I think Vesey is a better fit for the 4th line if one is on the 4th line. BUT Glass will not be the reason we win or lose this series...just won't be.

How about the depth we have actually scores some darn goals in the playoffs. How about Nash shows up. And the 3rd line finishes chances. That's what this is about to me. And cover the crease and special teams don't be a disgrace.

14. RangersFan

I think I would have Smith with McDonagh, but that is where we are lacking, that extra top 4 dman. Neither is ideal, but I would go Smith over Girardi with McDonagh.

But again, I just don't look at this D 1-6 on paper and say wow that is awful. That is what really frustrates me.

15. Stepupstepan

Of course Glass will not be the reason they may lose. AV's lineup decisions as whole will be THE reason. Skjei has been one of the best d-men all year. Why cant he be in top 4? Oh yeah, because he is a rookie by AV's logic.

16. theProdigy223

What does being a rookie have to do with anything? Vesey is a rookie and he's in the top 6. Not getting the logic here.

17. RangersFan

My thing on Skjei is I want to since his ice time go up to 20 mpg +/-. If I see that I am okay with the pairing of him and Smith. That may be the most complete pairing we have.

I also think we are better off having McDonagh and Skjei on separate pairs. Reason being is both play a more puck moving fast game. I like the balance having them on separate pairs provides. I just want to see more time for Skjei.

18. Stepupstepan

Thats why you move Skjei into top 4 and play Girardi as six. It is pretty simple to me. Limit girardi minutes and increase Skjei minutes. This coach just does not get it because of his favoritism.

19. Stepupstepan

ahhh, because AV has a hard-on for Jimmy? :)

20. theProdigy223

Right, which is an example of favoritism. Which is something many including myself have called AV out on before. But it also proves this "anti-rookie" theory is complete and utter nonsense.